Christmas party potluck food

tracy1344
tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
I need ideas for what to take to a potluck dinner Christmas party. The meat is being provided, so need ideas for appetizers and sides.

Replies

• Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    I was being inventive for breakfast this morning and I sliced some avocado, drizzled balsamic vinegar over it, topped with a soft fried egg and salt and ground black pepper..... Twas very tasty.

Perhaps less easy to bring as a pre-made starter, but maybe you could do something with split avocados and an egg based stuffing in the centre..... ?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    bump , I have a potluck too....may bring something non-paleo if I can't think of anything ....*sigh* .....however smoked salmon? shrimp ring?? those are pretty easy sides :).....or guacamole with veggies to dip??
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Bacon wrapped green beans. Deviled eggs. Veggie tray. Fruit tray. Stuffed mushrooms.

There's a million variations of quinoa salad. I have one with tomato, roasted garlic and spinach that's great warm or cold. There's one I want to try with pistachios and cranberries.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Not to be picky, but quinoa isn't paleo :)
  • GnaBean
    Not to cut hairs, but quinoa is in the same family as spinach. I understand if someone doesn't tolerate it well, to avoid it, but it's not a grain.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    huh, interesting i always thought it was a grain but it's a seed! why is it on this list of things to avoid then?

I would bring one of the a billion amazing dessert things off of paleomg.com. It'll impress people, especially when they find out it's "healthy"
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Bacon Jalapeno Stuffed Mushrooms

Ingredients: 6 slices Wellshire bacon
    24 medium white/button or cremini mushrooms, stems removed and retained
    1 yellow onion, finely chopped
    1 fresh jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (seeded, if desired)
    1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
    2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
    3 tablespoons Dalmatia Sour Cherry Spread

Method: Preheat oven to 375°F. Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate, cool and finely chop. Discard all but 2 teaspoons grease from skillet; return to medium heat, add mushroom stems, onion, jalapeño and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very dry and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and pulse just until chopped. Add bacon and parsley; pulse until combined. Spoon some of the mixture into each mushroom cap, top with 1/4 teaspoon sour cherry spread and arrange on a large baking sheet. Bake until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    Nutritional Info:
    Per Serving:20 calories (5 from fat), 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 1g protein

From whole foods website (BTW these are better slightly cooled/room temp than hot out of the oven.)
    I leave the cherry spread off of them as well (then they are paleo) or you could go with the standard veggie platter!
  • GnaBean
    I am Primal, so I eat quinoa because it's not a grain. But I Googled the question "is quinoa paleo?" and found some very interesting information that I need to consider.

There's actually great debate, some people believing it is paleo, others who don't. But that's the great thing about this lifestyle. The guidelines are great, but everyone needs to do what works for them. Do your own research, and make your own decisions!
  • rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    spinach salad with pecans, blueberries, and feta. it's pretty and tasty. toss in oil and vinegar.
  • Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    paleopot.com is where I've been going for ideas for potlucks. The Hungry Man Sweet Potato Casserole that I made for the last potluck was quite a hit (and only one odd complaint about me using buffalo).
  • chopzgurl05
    chopzgurl05 Posts: 84 Member
    Deviled eggs (make your own mayo), brussel sprouts with bacon, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, guacamole, veggie or fruit tray, salad, and depending on how strict you are with primal you could do a cheese and sausage platter (quality of both are crucial here, lol)
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    I ate a beautiful and delicious treat at book club last night. Flax seed cracker topped with a smear of fig spread, then goat cheese, then a little sliver of fig. Yum.