Excuses

Options
mdb543
mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
What is the first excuse that pops into your head when you are going to start working out? How do you overcome the excuse? Some of you may be over this hurdle so I want you to share how you were able to overcome the excuses and how you push yourself harder during your workout now.

~Mine "5 more minutes and I will workout." Then something ALWAYS happens and I can't workout when I want to. To overcome the excuses, I made a dream board of my goals for the next year. (If anyone wants the website address to do this, let me know!) I get up first thing in the morning and just get my workout in. I keep my dream board up on my laptop so it's always their in sight to remind me why I am doing what I am doing :) I also put pictures of my "old" self up to remind myself that I NEVER want to look like that again!! So far so good

Replies

• krstn102109
    krstn102109 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My issue has always been my schedule. I work 9AM-6PM and then have class and am usually working on homework as late as midnight. My schedule does truly make it difficult to get to the gym, sometimes difficult to even eat dinner or take a shower at the end of the day! I work from home though and get a 1 hour lunch break. So to overcome my excuse, I started using my lunch break to work out. I am currently using Gaiam TV for my work outs, they offer a lot of variety in cardio and strength training. So even though I would prefer to go to the gym, I am rarely able to do that through the week and this is a great alternative for me.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I do my runs first thing in the morning otherwise I know very well that I will not get to it in the evening. Most mornings (especially lately) I can find lots of reasons to not get out of bed for my run, but after a while I realize that I will feel bad if I miss it so I get up even if it is for a short 25mins. The only problem with this is I have been doing a lot more short runs these days and missing out on my longer runs, have to figure how to get out of this rut.

I know this doesn't work for everyone, but getting on the scale every morning reminds me how far I have come and that I don't want it to go back up.....this is what keeps me going with exercise and making healthy food choices.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get up and work out because it's cold! The idea of bundling up just to go outside seems like so much work when laying in that warm cozy bed. Also, if I work out at home, I work out in the basement which no matter how many vents I open up is freezing! If I don't get my workout done in the first half of the day, there is a good chance it won't get done cause next thing I know it's after 9pm.

For me, I figured out, I am not a first thing in the morning workout kinda person. I like to ease into my day, plus I found workouts done between 10-1pm usually had more zest to them and I seemed to enjoy it more. Even in summer when it's starting to get hot, I don't mind a shady path to bike on during the heat. When I tried to make myself workout first thing in the morning, I didn't enjoy it, even when done and it seemed more that I was going through the motions. Often I just wanted to go back to bed, whereas when I work out in the late morning to early afternoon, I have more energy to get through the rest of the day. I just make it a point to put it on my schedule and block out that time for me.

On days I don't feel like working out at all, I tell myself, just 10 minutes. If I still feel that way, then maybe my body needs to rest. More times than not, I stick through the whole workout :)
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    actually i have no excuses for not working out, i usually manage to get something in. what tends to happen is i overdo it with diet. then i will have to do a more intense workout then i had planned in order to burn all the calories i just ate!
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I work out in the morning my excuse is usually that i am too comfortable and warm in bed. When its after work, sometimes I tell myself I am too tired or my day was too long, etc. THEN i motivate myself by remembering WHY I am working out and what I am trying to achieve. There's a little poem/saying I tell myself:

Excuses are monuments of nothingness,
    They build bridges to nowhere,
    Those of us who us these tools of incompetence,
    Seldom become anything but nothing at all.

That gets me up and moving.
  • DragonflyF15
    Options

Excuses are monuments of nothingness,
    They build bridges to nowhere,
    Those of us who us these tools of incompetence,
    Seldom become anything but nothing at all.

Good one!
  • lindoussa
    Options
    My excuse has always been oh I will do it later and then later comes and I say the same thing. That, or I would wait for my hubby to say, "Okay let's work out!" Knowing that he would most likely be too tired when he got home. In fact, the other day was the 1st time I worked out on my own in over 5 years! At that moment I knew something had changed in me and that I was in this for the long run! Logging my calories and workout is actually just as addicting as the food I was eating before!
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    My excuse has always been oh I will do it later and then later comes and I say the same thing. That, or I would wait for my hubby to say, "Okay let's work out!" Knowing that he would most likely be too tired when he got home. In fact, the other day was the 1st time I worked out on my own in over 5 years! At that moment I knew something had changed in me and that I was in this for the long run! Logging my calories and workout is actually just as addicting as the food I was eating before!

>high five< :)
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to work out in the mornings but now its winter and I have a new addition to the family so my excuse is its too dark and Im comfortable. I am working out in the evenings but by the time I get the kids in bed I am soo exhausted that I fall asleep and don't work out. I need to get back into working out in the mornings becuase if I don't I will not workout and i am already starting to feel the effects of not working out. I would love that website. Pass it on please.