New to the Group

Options
Hi all - I'm Callie. I just came across this group and decided to join. I am a Type 2 Diabetic and have been since March 2008. For a while there, I was uncontrolled and really didn't care...but now I am trying to get everything back under control. July 2011, I was put on insulin because my body was rejecting oral medications. Two months ago, my PCM (primary care manager for those who don't know Tricare speak) put me back on orals in addition to one of my insulins (Lantus) to help bring my blood sugar down. It's starting to work some, but it's still difficult because we are playing with different medications and I am nervous about it because I become sensitive after a while. Also, between May and September, I brought my A1C down from 14 to 9.6 - in that time I went from being able to go to a civilian doctor to having to go to a doctor on base (got married and entered Tricare Hell)...they took me off of Victoza (which helped bring my A1C down) and my blood sugar has been wacky ever since so I am afraid that my A1C is going to go up again.

Right now I am on Janumet 50/1000 and 30 units of Lantus. My PCM was talking about splitting my Lantus to 15 units in the morning and 15 units at night to keep everything level. Does anyone else do this?

Any kind of advice will help :)

Replies

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group.

I am lucky enough not to be on any meds yet, but, there are plenty on here who are and I am sure can offer advice and help.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Has anyone talked to you about how to lower your blood glucose by diet, like low carb?
  • Sachiel_777
    Sachiel_777 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I take my Januvia when I wake up. and metformin late afternoon. I inject 10-15 units of 25/75 humalog when I wake up and before I go to sleep (depending on BG levels). I also take an additional injection late afternoon 10-15 units (again depending on BG levels).

When I exercise in the afternoon I find I do not need the middle injection.

I also try to eat less than 50g of carbs in a day.
  • crbunter912
    Options
    I was set up with the nutritionist on base and she has me at 1580 calories, 178g carbohydrates, 53g fat and 99g protein per day. I was doing good until my husband and I went back to Mississippi for Thanksgiving and I forgot to log while we were there and just didn't pick it back up. I'm starting back to logging tomorrow and hoping to keep with it.

I started the Janumet last night and today my blood glucose has improved slightly since starting it. I know it'll take a few days to get into full swing.

Hopefully I will be able to lose some more weight here soon...my doctor talked to me yesterday and told me that he wanted to see me lose 30-40 pounds within the next 6-12 months or he would recommend that I have gastric surgery. I've thought about the gastric before but have always chickened out or had a reason not to get it. If I were to get it, it would be covered 100% by our insurance since it'll be done down at the Naval Hospital.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! :flowerforyou: