Why do you stay in OA?

Options
Yesterday I quietly celebrated my 10th "birthday" in OA. 10 years ago I went to my first OA meeting. I see so many people come and go. Rarely do I have a sponsoree that sticks with the program past step 3. So I was thinking, what made me stick around OA for so long? I can only come up with one thing: HOPE. There are so many "negatives": it's hard work, I have to confront difficult subjects, I can no longer associate with trigger foods that I have a love affair with, it is a program that requires active participation--showing up is good but not enough..... These really aren't negatives at all but these are the very reasons that some people fade away. All I know is that I have not found HOPE anyplace else. Here is where I have recovered from depression and suicidal ideation. Here is where my anger faded away. Here is where I have recovered from addiction to pain pills. Here is where I have grown up emotionally. Here is where I have lost weight. Here is where I am learning to relate to food in the way that God intended. Here is where I have learned to not only love myself, but like myself too.

Why do you stay in OA? Why are you here?

Replies

• julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I quietly celebrated my 10th "birthday" in OA. 10 years ago I went to my first OA meeting. I see so many people come and go. Rarely do I have a sponsoree that sticks with the program past step 3. So I was thinking, what made me stick around OA for so long? I can only come up with one thing: HOPE. There are so many "negatives": it's hard work, I have to confront difficult subjects, I can no longer associate with trigger foods that I have a love affair with, it is a program that requires active participation--showing up is good but not enough..... These really aren't negatives at all but these are the very reasons that some people fade away. All I know is that I have not found HOPE anyplace else. Here is where I have recovered from depression and suicidal ideation. Here is where my anger faded away. Here is where I have recovered from addiction to pain pills. Here is where I have grown up emotionally. Here is where I have lost weight. Here is where I am learning to relate to food in the way that God intended. Here is where I have learned to not only love myself, but like myself too.

Why do you stay in OA? Why are you here?

Oh wow, congratulations on 10 years. I hope by the grace of God that I will stay around for that long and for the rest of my life. I am coming up to 1 year. I agree with you that HOPE is the key. I have seen some miracles in myself over the last year. I have worked the steps and continue to do so, the compulsione to overeat has been lifted and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is a daily reprieve and to keep my recovery I have to work this spiritual programme. I got hope form other people telling their stories and knowing they were speaking my language, every time I speak to or hear another OA person whether face to face, on the phone or online I have that hope renewed. I know every day that this disease is a killer just like alcohol or drugs. I am very glad you are here and sharing your story and your progress it helps me :)
  • Lilflowr
    Lilflowr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on 10yrs!! all those One Day At A Times..."if you want, what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it!" ..there is HOPE!! Great post! Thanks, I needed to hear that this morning ;o) Blessings!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I've only been going consistently since Sept, but I've been in and out for decades. I even was mod of my own group at one point.

What it does is stop my BED attacks.
  • nancyzeh
    nancyzeh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to OA just started going this last month. I have had a love affair with food since my child hood . I have had other addictions that I dealt with as an adult but, food I did not see as an problem. Until I decided to review an alcoholic recovery book and found that food can be a co addiction. That's when I realized I was a compulsive over eater. I have tried lots of other ways to quit eating compulsively and failed. When I found a butter sandwich in my nightstand that I had hidden for later. I knew this was addictive behavior.
    I come to OA to stop eating compulsively. to not use it like so many people use other substances. Today I am following my eating plan and planing what I eat. I feel free from the compulsion today. I have the support of others who understand what it is to need food to feel whole. I am thankful for this group site.
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    I'm enjoying the stories here. Thanks for contributing!! It is so wonderful to have people who understand!!
  • missniwanda
    Options
    I'm an OA newbie (Jan 3, 2012), but i keep coming back because this is the only program that has given me relief from my compulsion, a sense of peace and hope for the future. Recovery makes me feel like life is just that much more manageable. I feel happy joyous and free!
  • angimichelle
    Options
    I am new to OA as of November 14, 2012. I hope to start working the steps more explicitly soon, but am enjoying getting my feet wet and learning a lot about the program. I have found hope in being able to abstain from compulsive overeating and was quickly overcome by the notion that I am powerless to this disease. So far, that is what is bringing me back...admitting I'm powerless and being able to turn to this community, its tools, and my relationship with my Higher Power to recover from my compulsion. I hope to move through the steps and do the work I know I need.
  • Healthy0060
    Healthy0060 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started OA. It has been an eye opening experience for me. The first three steps are powerful and I know that I have found a place to be free from judgement.
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    ... I have not found HOPE anyplace else. Here is where I have recovered from depression and suicidal ideation. Here is where my anger faded away. Here is where I have recovered from addiction to pain pills. Here is where I have grown up emotionally. Here is where I have lost weight. Here is where I am learning to relate to food in the way that God intended. Here is where I have learned to not only love myself, but like myself too.

I can't yet say why I *stay* because I am so much of a newbie that I haven't even gone to a local meeting yet (other than one I went to close to 15 years ago, but that's a topic for another post). But I can definitely tell you why I am reaching out to OA... it's because of ^^that up there^^. Exactly that.
  • SwissRiviera
    Options
    This is first time that I have felt that people understand my problem with trigger foods. Why? Because, everyone in the group has similar issues. For me, it is a motivator to see and know that people make it, conquer and change, with the help of their Higher Power and working the program. 1 day at a time. 1 week abstinent!