Advice on getting started lifting

Options
jkay123
jkay123 Posts: 15 Member
I've been reading some threads, and I think I understaned the calculations and how to get started. I've seen several people mention that they "lift heavy" but I'm not sure what that means or how to get started.

Can anyone point me to some information?

Replies

• catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi--

Get the "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" and join us in the group of the same name on MFP.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I second NROLFW. Also NROLFA is a killer workout and is similar premise to NROLFW.

For me lifting heavy is lifting as heavy of weight that I can to get 4-6 reps in. If I can do more than 8 then I increase my weight.
  • jkay123
    Options
    Thanks! I will definitely check it out.
  • sprinkels29
    Options
    You can also check out the Strong Lifts 5x5 program, we have a group too :) Basically 5 reps, 5 sets if you can do it you increase the weight by 10pounds each week. If you cant do the 5x5 three times you move down weight and then go back up. You can check the website Medhi has alot of goood information. Nice part is its only 2 different workouts, you rotate them and they always include squats.
  • jenniekw
    jenniekw Posts: 104
    Options
    Sprink his website says to go up 5 lbs not 10lbs??
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You go up 5 lbs each work out on Stronglifts. That could be up to 10lbs a week per exercise.
  • jenniekw
    jenniekw Posts: 104
    Options
    Gotcha! Thanks
  • sprinkels29
    Options
    You go up 5 lbs each work out on Stronglifts. That could be up to 10lbs a week per exercise.

Yah sorry for the confusion! 5 pounds added on each exercise except deadlift is 10. I was at the gym yesterday and putting my plates on and counting and then it hit me I had posted 10 instead of 5!! /facepalm Totally meant 5, man no way I could add 10 O_O lol I can say that I am already up to a 60 pound squat on my second week! Its alot of fun putting those plates on there and surprising yourself that you can do it.
  • jkay123
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check that one out too.
  • jkay123
    Options
    What's the name of the 5x5 group?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options