The Cruddy Workouts - Bag it or Push through?

Options
I'm in week five of my stater triathlon program, which for this winter is focused on building a base in swim and run, and on building strength through lifting. I'm new to triathlon training generally, and the run and swim are completely new. My summer goal is to run a pair of olympics in August, and I still have some vanity pounds that stand between me and six pack abs.

Yesterday, I was firing on all cylinders, had a great morning swim, and then went to spin class in the evening and hit it like a freight train; I cam home feeling absolutely fantastic.

So, this morning I get up to lift, and I am just not feeling it at all. I made it through my lifts though, with good form (even if I did not add anything today).

I head over to the treadmill, with the intent of getting a junk 5k in. My run is atrocious, and I have only been running for the last 6 weeks or so, so I know that I have to try to accept that I cannot run like I ride. My goal on the run right now is simply to finish a 5k in less than 30:00, and my current PR is 32:18. I'm running at 6mph/10:00pace, which is as slow as I can go and keep a running/jogging stride; usually I will try to keep up the 10:00 pace until my HR gets too high (say, 165 to 150bpm), then drop it down to a brisk walk until I drop into the 140's, then start over. Overall, I want to build the physical base so that I can actually get some more substantive in running, like HIIT intervals, inclines, and the like.

Long story short, I scrubbed today's run after the first mile.

So, my question to the folks who are better at this than I am - how do you handle the cruddy workouts? Should I go and struggle through it tonight? Or should I just skip it? I'm a bit sore, but certainly not incapable of getting in the miles, but I also know that it is going to be drudgery. Tomorrow's schedule is set for another swim and spin class, with lifting and running again on Friday.

Feedback and advice are always appreciated.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well, the first thing I'm going to suggest is that you eat more. I only looked at your diary for 2 days but both days you could have still eaten another 1,200 cal or so (and still been in a deficit), you need fuel for these workouts.

It sounds like your workouts are pretty intense and you're not giving yourself any recovery time in between. Add to that your shortage of fuel I'm not surprised you had a crap run.

Are you working from a training plan? There's no reason to be running junk miles - every workout should have a purpose.

Running slower would be a good idea too, it's hard but easier of you ditch the treadmill and run outside.

generally though, unless you're feeling injured try to slug through the not so great runs, they're juts part of the process. Eat enough and you'll probably have fewer of them.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Not so great workouts happen. If you can hit whatever heart rate or power goals (metrics) you have set for a specific workout then I say trudge through. I have some of the same questions training wise that Brian has. Do you have a training plan? What metrics is it based off of? Do you now your LT and HR zones? Doing all your runs in zones 4 and 5 isn't going to build a base and is going to kill your recovery. I know training at a low HR isn't fun or sexy but even Mark Allen had to go back to the drawing board and start by walking to fix the heart rate issues he had.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    On the nutrition side of things, I still am combating those last few pounds.

For my current program, I adapted the Mark Allen 12 exercise routine into a 15 week program to run me through the first of March, and then I plan to start a more formal, periodic and volumization program that will run and taper properly into my first olympic triathlon. I'm probably going to use something similar to the BT free 20 week programs, and I would cut lifting down to twice per week. As far as cardio goes, I'm using spin class (which I love) as a replacement for cyling now that it is cold here in Chicago, and I'm too cheap/poor to buy cold weather gear, and I don't want to die on dark roads. So essentially, I spin 3 times per week, and then my goal is to swim and run three times per week each. I'm still trying to get the mechanics of the swim, and it is coming along nicely, overall; I'm still at 3min+/100yds, but my endurance and form are getting better by leaps and bounds.

So, it a nutshell:
    Mon: Lift and Run
    Tues: Swim and Spin
    Wed: Lift and Run
    Thur: Swin and Spin
    Fri: Lift and Run
    Sat: Swim and Spin
    Sun: Off

I have no real concerns about the bike right now. Between the run, the swim, and lifting, right now I feel that lifting is most important, since it's the off season and I'm not worried about overall endurance performance now. (I also know that runs contrary to my original post in this topic, and it is a paradox to want to do everything perfectly, but a guy can dream, right?).

On the nutritional side of things, my food diary is as accurate as I can make it. I try for 1,800 per day, with 180g of protein. I'll switch to maintenance at 10% bodyfat or 175lbs, whichever comes first. My BMR is around 2,000ish, if my long term analysis of my weightloss v. calorie intake v. calorie burn is anywhere near accurate. I will probably also jump up to eating at surplus during weeks 7 through 12 of my lifting program, as it switches to a lower-rep power-building scenario from my current 2x12 routine. My weight also may be acting funny, and I may need to go up in calorie counts, but I'm also wondering if the numbers are being skewed by holiday food spikes, birthday parties, and the like. If I don't see any change in the next two weeks, I'll probably go up a bit and see if that shakes things up.

My resting HR is around 44-46, and my tested max is 185. I still need to do a lactic test, but I'm not looking forward to it, so I keep putting it off.

This morning's cruddy run is probably largely psychological; I know it's wrong, but given how much weight I've lost (from 296lbs three years ago, to 188ish today), and how well I perform on the bike, it is just frustrating to go and simply not be able to run a sub-30:00 5k. My overall goal is to run a 2:40 to 3:00 olympic, which would put me in the top half to top 1/3 of my age group, based on last year's times. That works out to an 8:00 run pace, and I can't maintain a 10:00 pace for half the distance. I have plenty of time, and I keep telling myself that, but the frustrations can sometimes be palatable.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you are able to hit your metrics, or be close, I would push through the workout. On race day you will encounter any number of physical and mental barriers that will have to be overcome.

I could not begint o tell you how many tought training days i've had. And as much as intaking proper calories through out the day is important, I feel calorie deficient workouts to be beneficial on occasion.
  • mirthfuldragon
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. As an update, I went back to the gym, laced up my shoes, and ran a 32:02 5k, which is a personal best by about 15 seconds.
  • ziegman49
    ziegman49 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In my opinion using strictly HR is incredibly inaccurate to measure how hard you are working. There are so many things that can throw it off. Check out the TSS stuff if you are interested in getting a better idea how hard you are working and ideal resting time. Your previous workouts may be tougher than you realize leaving you with residual fatigue for a couple days after.
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Man, lots of great advice here. I agree with wathcing the over training, making sure you feed the machine and giving yourself proper rest. Pace yourself so you are not peeking too early and that you are not burning yourself out my March.
    In the end, crappy workouts happen and you will decide sometimes to push through and other times to bag it. As long as those are not happening too frequently, you will be fine
    Keep up the hard work
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    In my opinion using strictly HR is incredibly inaccurate to measure how hard you are working. There are so many things that can throw it off. Check out the TSS stuff if you are interested in getting a better idea how hard you are working and ideal resting time. Your previous workouts may be tougher than you realize leaving you with residual fatigue for a couple days after.

HR, power, TSS, common sense. All good metrics and have their place.
  • mirthfuldragon
    Options
    So, getting off topic a bit, but when it comes to HR zone training to build base, what systems/programs do you use, and why?

It seems there are five or six different standards, which, when the dust settles, all seem to give me the same endurance/zone 2ish training range, from 130ish to 150ish (resting HR: 44, Max HR: ~185, and LTHR ~160, though the LTHR wasn't a formal test, but rather is based on a 50min spin class where I went put forth an effort that I would consider race-pace).
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Regarding HR Zones, I just went from experience for a long time and as it turns out I was pretty darn close. Just finished having a Lactate Threshold test done at the University and I got a much more accurate picture. Will have it done again the spring and then summer to see what improvements I can make.

Also had a hydro-static body composition test done which turned out to be about what I expected...blah. You might check with your local University(s) and see what they have to offer for testing. They will often do it dirt cheap, they get data for research and you get data for training. Win-Win
  • ziegman49
    ziegman49 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Boy there is so much I could say about this. It depends entirely on who you ask and what program you use. Some have only four zones other have as many as eight. A good site I would recommend is trainingpeaks.com. You can choose what HR formula you want and it will automatically. I think they offer a free profile which will do the HR zones, otherwise you need to buy a membership. They do offer a lot of programs on there. Other than that, just find the zones that work for you. Everyone is different, the zones are just estimates.