TOPIC: 1st step - and scared stiff!! :(

Options
I have just been chatting on Facebook to my Dad. He doesn't live in the same country as me but I'm going to visit soon. I have told him I need to tell him something and to make sure that I tell him when I get there. This is to make sure I actually do it this time.

I have an eating disorder...i flit from severely undereating to severly overeating all the time. binges and starvtion seem to be my way of life and its wrecking the amazing life I should have. Im at uni, have a great boyfriend, lovely house and great friends. I'm ruining it all through this horrible vicious cycle of self destruction i am in. I have never told anyone, instead just sufferered the comments and critisism about my weight and eating habits.

Im hoping this is the first step, telling my dad. He lives in a different place and o it will be easy to speak to him without other people knowing. But I'm so scared...can anyone offer any words of encouragement or support?

Replies

• Antonia2501
    Antonia2501 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have had an eating disorder off and on since I was 15. From binge eating to being bulimic and the back to just binging. It's a hard thing to deal with. I think all people that have had an eating disorder understand how hard it is to tell someone about it, especially a family member. Always in fear of letting them down or not being accepted. It took me a while to tell my parents that I had my eating disorder but it was amazing the support I got when I was honest with them. Feel free to add me if you would like. I understand how hard it is to tell someone. I know you can do it and you will feel a weight be lifted.
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The first step is recognizing that you have a problem. So I'd say you're already onto step 2! Good for you for making the decision to tell your dad. And good for you for realizing all the good you have in your life. You'll beat this, I have no doubt!!