Day 1 - 10-Week Valentine's Challenge

Options
Good Morning all of my lovelies!

And that is exactly how I want you to start thinking and seeing yourselves! So, don't get tired or sick of me calling you lovelies because that is how I plan to greet you for the next 10 weeks!

Since I will be posting daily, you might want to have a notebook or sticky notes available to jot down anything that really speaks to you so it will be readily available when you most need it again.

Continued from yesterday "The Woman You Were Meant To Be"

What is this sadness we see on our faces and cannot name when we look in the mirror or see a picture of ourselves? Perhaps the heart of our melancholy is that we miss the woman we were meant to be. We miss our authentic selves. But the good news is that even if you have ignored her overtures for decades your authentic self has not abandoned you. Instead she has been waiting patiently for you to recognize her and reconnect. Listen to the whispers of your heart. Look within. Your silent companion has lit lanterns of love to illuminate the path to Wholeness. At long last, the journey you were destined to take has begun!
Author Sarah Ban Breathnach

There are two kinds of self-discipline:
1. Strict, harsh, and punishing...." Do not give in to weakness...Push ahead no matter what....your lack of resolve is pathetic

2.Supported, assisted, and nurtured....I will not abandon myself no matter what...I will ask for help if I need it...I know I cannot fail if I do this with love...Deep down this is what I really want.

The first discipline is very familiar to us all. The second, compassionate self-discipline, is nothing other than being present rather than engaged in distracted, unfocused, addictive behaviors based in an "I-need-to-fix-myself mentality."

The person that uses the second self-discipline is actually paying attention, focusing on what is here to do in this moment, bringing compassion to all aspects of daily life, and discipline has nothing to do with it.

WE DON'T LACK SELF-DISCIPLINE, WE LACK PRESENCE. Author Cheri Huber Continued tomorrow......

I will leave you with this for today: "It is never too late to be who you might have been." George Eliot

You noticed that I am using the knowledge of books and authors.....So, if you disagree with any of this....you are not disagreeing with me, but them! Nothing like protecting myself!

This week's physical challenge:
to move....move.....daily. Activity is so important. For the beginners....just walk around the block and then increase that every day......The rest of us......take the stairs...park your car further away from wherever you go...do 50 jumping jacks at the end of your work-outs.

Hugs to All!!

Replies

• slimgurl13
    Options
    Yes! Lets do this!
  • jbnl1991
    jbnl1991 Posts: 149
    Options
    "your authentic self has not abandoned you. Instead she has been waiting patiently for you to recognize her and reconnect"

What a wonderful thought. My authentic self is patiently waiting for me to stop focusing on my kids' problems, or my secretaries' problems, or my mother's problems. She is waiting for me to bring the focus back to myself and enjoy this moment of this day. Especially in December, I feel like I am being pulled a thousand different ways - holiday parties, school programs, shopping for gifts - in addition to work, dinner and laundry! I get so caught up in it all and feel like I don't really enjoy any of it.

When I take a moment to breathe and let the worries of the day fade away, I find that I am whole and content. So, in addition to my 50 jumping jacks today, I am going to breathe!

-- Catherine
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Nana, I'm so glad you posted a positive message this morning! I needed that as I've been unable to exercise due to old work injuries. I do great as as I'm exercising. Without the exercise, I have a ton of problems...more than just over eating. I'm hoping that after resting today, yet another day, i will try and exercise on Friday and see how it goes. I'm hoping so, so much that I'm able to do it. Thanks Nana...you let me know there is some hope.
  • Jojo2k11
    Options
    Nana, I'm so glad you posted a positive message this morning! I needed that as I've been unable to exercise due to old work injuries. I do great as as I'm exercising. Without the exercise, I have a ton of problems...more than just over eating. I'm hoping that after resting today, yet another day, i will try and exercise on Friday and see how it goes. I'm hoping so, so much that I'm able to do it. Thanks Nana...you let me know there is some hope.

Amy, you can do it! Remember the goal is just to move. That's my focus too. I work so much and get home so late and have new responsibilities that a year ago I didn't have, that I feel like I'm struggling everyday. But if just MOVE more than I did the day before....If I can walk around the block after dinner, If I can walk 30mins during my hour long lunch, if I can do some light housecleaning before bed....If I can move more than the day before it can happen.

I'm learning you don't have to do "formal" exercise to be active. My boyfriend and I have been working on his house since this weekend...cleaning cabinets, sorting piles of dishes, scrubbing walls...and I was so sore I could barely move, but I kept at it everyday since and my back doesn't hurt as much, my arms aren't as tired. I can truly agree with Nana's statement to 'move daily'....it works!
  • merry_abandon
    merry_abandon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this! I'm having a really difficult time right now with behaving the way I want to; I've been so stressed about school that I feel sick, and between that and not really having any time, I haven't been exercising and I've been eating whatever is easy to get. This message helps motivate me, because there's always a chance for a fresh start and I don't have to be hard on myself for something that I mess up (this hits especially hard for me in regards to school, since I could very possibly fail two classes in the next few days). Life is so much more than our mistakes: among our blessings and achievements, it's about what we learn from our blunders that matters. I'm learning--slowly, alas--that life isn't lived in my regrets, my anxieties, or that sometimes-stressful-sometimes-exciting "What if," but in the beauty of the here and now, and that each new breath is a new opportunity.