"The Body Fat Solution"- Tom Venuto

Options
FormerMarine1
FormerMarine1 Posts: 1,128 Member
I just finished reading this and it really changed the way I look at food. Has anyone any experience with this approach to nutrition and if so what were your results? I am curious to know! If you haven't read it, it's a bestseller that came out in 2006. The author also wrote the popular book, "Burn The Fat & Feed The Muscle" Let me know what you think. Thanks

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    haven't read it.

what are the basic concepts outlined? carb cycling? low carb?
  • FormerMarine1
    FormerMarine1 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    The basic concept are all the views of the so called "experts" including low carb etc. and how they are all right but they are all wrong. The book focuses on changing your thought process about the way you view food. Some use it for a variety of purposes except what it is supposed to be used for... a fuel source. This book extinguishes the false beliefs so many heath & fitness authorities have put out to the public to make a buck. I hope this explains it for you
  • dayviewing
    dayviewing Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to "Die fat or get tough" which isn't a diet book at all, but a "mentality" book that explains "Fat people eat for pleasure, fit people eat for health." That right there began changing my outlook. Food is fuel.
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You wanna know the truth about dieting. It's really easy.

1. Make sure you hit your macros, and make sure your macros reflect your goals.

It's really that easy.

Or you can go with an even more simple approach.

If you want to get in shape, you need to remove yourself from the couch and get some sort of meaningful exercise.

If you want to get big, eat until you're so full you can't handle more food.

If you want to lose weight, stop eating seconds just because your food tastes good.

If you can't follow those basics, every diet plan in the world will not help you.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Mcdonald Venuto, Argon are all great at giving great advice about nutrition. Problem is that they are viewed as Gods by many people who did horrible diets all their life with no results. Dieting is not hard, and is usually done wrong because people don't bother to find out how their body works and what they should eat to look lean. I support most of their methods but they are by far not methods they invented but are methods that have existed for quite some time.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Mcdonald Venuto, Argon are all great at giving great advice about nutrition. Problem is that they are viewed as Gods by many people who did horrible diets all their life with no results. Dieting is not hard, and is usually done wrong because people don't bother to find out how their body works and what they should eat to look lean. I support most of their methods but they are by far not methods they invented but are methods that have existed for quite some time.

I agree. Dieiting really isn't that challenging for "normal" results.

There's a pretty crazy demand when you start getting in the single digit bf%, but down to that point it's pretty cut and dry. (no pun intended)
  • josiahutah
    Options
    I just finished reading this and it really changed the way I look at food. Has anyone any experience with this approach to nutrition and if so what were your results? I am curious to know! If you haven't read it, it's a bestseller that came out in 2006. The author also wrote the popular book, "Burn The Fat & Feed The Muscle" Let me know what you think. Thanks
    I have been following Tom Venuto for over five years and find his philosophies to cut through all of the diet non-sense while getting down to common sense. I've read Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle part I and part II and while enjoying both, I found part II to be more useful. The biggest thing I got from part II is that everyone's bodies are different. (there's that common sense I was talking about) So instead of reading about a million different programs that have worked for a million different people (while NOT WORKING for another million), you do what works for you! And you can do this by tracking your weight, % body fat, lean body mass, calories, macronutrients, training variables, and other nutrition variables (myfitnesspal.com helps a ton!) and do this for a week. The key to this that I have deduced is that you must change only one varable at a time so as to pinpoint the exact thing that either worked or didn't work. At the end of each week, you take body measurements and decide to either change something or keep it the same. This has helped me to realize what it takes to conserve precious lean body mass.

I haven't made much progress yet but I have stopped losing muscle like I used to and I feel that I have more control over how my body looks. I just need to experiment more. My next step will probably be experiementing with carbs. I currently eat 2600 calories consisting of 55% carbs, 30% protein, and 15% fat, and I intend to see how my body responds to less carbs with more protein.

Overall, I LOVE what Tom has taught me! I feel like I am ahead of most people when it comes to understanding fat loss and nutrition.

How did you like the book?
  • souljajoe010
    souljajoe010 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cannot agree anymore with you, was kind of funny too lol. But yeah for the serious person... count macros