Are YOU drinking protein shakes?

Options
I haven't been, I've been doing a 21g protein bar after workouts, mostly because I'm clueless about the drinks. However all of a sudden the bars are getting really gross tasting to me, like making me feel nauseous after eating them gross. I don't really know where or what to buy for a drink. What are you using for protein? Premade drinks(do they even make them?), powder, what kind of powder, flavor, what mixes in with it, where do you buy it? Thanks!

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    No because I tried and it was foul! I just eat some protein. I guess I'm weak. I do like the odwalla bars, but they are only like 14 g protein.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use MetRX in the chocolate flavor. I bought a smaller container to try it and liked it well enough to buy the 5 pounder from Amazon. It tastes super good in milk, decent in Almond milk and doable in water. I seldom mix it with milk but it does taste really good that way. lol

I like to take it and leave it in the car while I am working out so it is ready for me. unless I work out in the morning when I am fasting.

I tried Muscle milk and thought it tasted like *kitten*. Also tried Body Fortress and was less than impressed. I LOVE Tera's Whey brand but it is not cost effective for me. plus with the MetRX I can get 30g protein in one 140cal scoop. which is worth it to me.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Can most of the powders be mixed with water or milk? It affects the taste, it sounds like ^^. Anyone suggest fat free milk vs 1 or 2%? I buy 2% for my kids, that's all I ever have in the house. Don't know if I want all those extra calories though.

Where did you find the smaller container of MetRX, GNC?
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bought some to try, and couldn't handle it, and I felt like it upset my stomach a bit. I know I'm a bit low on my protein intake in general, but I'm having a hard time finding something that I can tolerate to supplement it.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Can most of the powders be mixed with water or milk? It affects the taste, it sounds like ^^. Anyone suggest fat free milk vs 1 or 2%? I buy 2% for my kids, that's all I ever have in the house. Don't know if I want all those extra calories though.

Where did you find the smaller container of MetRX, GNC?

I most often mix mine with unsweetened original almond milk so it is 30cals a cup. like I said the 2% milk tastes best but I too seldom want to burn cals that way. I only do that when I am using it as a meal replacement because I will be on the go or something similar. and I got my smaller container from Vitacost.com I have heard tell of sample packs on places like bodybuilding.com and other similar sites. have yet to check it out though.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I buy premade at Costco. Premier Nurtition has 30g of protein and is 160 calories and only 1g of sugar. I drink it after my workout.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I use the Target store brand chocolate whey protein powder. I think it tastes pretty decent. I use it mixed with skim milk for a drink. I'm too lazy to make shakes most of the time. I also use it to make my favorite breakfast ever which I made up my own recipe for and call it my "chocolate protein pancake." It's delicious, packed with protein and I figure any day I can start out with chocolate for breakfast is a win.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    One scoop of Costco chocolate whey protein powder in magic bullet with half a frozen banana, a bit of ice and water...sometimes I add extra cocoa. Delish!
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, and whey protein makes my stomach churn. Most bars do the same thing, they're typically made with whey protein.
    I have gnc soy protein 95 in chocolate. I mix it with water in a blender bottle(with a ball in it) and chug it. It's not great, but its not too bad. It's sweet enough that it kinda tastes like chocolate milk(well, what I remember of chocolate milk!).

Many stores like gnc will have some brands in sample sizes, so you can try it before you commit to a big bucket. They also have a great return policy(I made sure before I bought mine!)
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I use the Target store brand chocolate whey protein powder. I think it tastes pretty decent. I use it mixed with skim milk for a drink. I'm too lazy to make shakes most of the time. I also use it to make my favorite breakfast ever which I made up my own recipe for and call it my "chocolate protein pancake." It's delicious, packed with protein and I figure any day I can start out with chocolate for breakfast is a win.

Yeah, I definitely need to know about this chocolate protein pancake. That just sounds amazeballs.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can not digest dairy either. I use 'garden of life vegan protein powder' 90 calories/ 17 grams of protein. It tastes pretty good, I usually mix it with coconut milk or coconut water with some fruit (depends on what I have around, usually strawberries, blueberries or a banana) I'm nearly out of it so I was going to try hemp or pea protein next time. I started eating more meat so I don't need it as much anymore, but it's nice to have around.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I drink the EAS chocolate whey protein shakes and the Gold Standard Vanilla Ice Cream shakes. I don't use regular milk, I mix the powder with Silk Almond milk (I really just hate the taste of milk anyways) and they're pretty good.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I live super close to our gym (small town) and when I get home I blend my EAS vanilla powder with fresh pineapple, frozen strawberries and almond milk. I like it a lot.
  • aquajen77
    Options
    Nope, I tried but it makes me feel sick. I instead make my own recovery smoothies with plain Fage greek yogurt (1 cup has 24 g protein) and fruit. I'd rather have real food.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Yeah, I definitely need to know about this chocolate protein pancake. That just sounds amazeballs.

Well, the calories vary widely depending on what/how much I put in it so that's my warning...figure it out for yourself based on what you put in/on it.

Basic recipe is:
    1 egg
    mashed banana
    1/2 scoop protein powder (I use chocolate)
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    optional add-ins: chia seeds & flax seed

whip egg in bowl with a fork. add mashed banana and stir. add protein powder and cocoa powder and stir well. cook over low heat. Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray first. It takes a while for it to cook on the first side, you really need to let it cook enough so you can flip it over. The second side doesnt' take as long. I've messed it up and ended up with a pile of cooked mess instead of a pancake in 1 piece before. LOL!

I weigh out banana on my food scale but I've used anywhere from 50-150g (probably half a banana up to a whole larger banana). That adds a lot of calories so I cut back on the banana if I need to trim the calorie count down. Ditto with chia seeds & flaxseed, I use 1/2-1 tablespoon of each.

When it's cooked I spread 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter on top and add sliced strawberries (or any berries that are in season.....currently spreading pomegranate arils on top....yum!) as well.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I use shakes. I have EAS brand powder in both chocolate & vanilla. I just mix it with skim milk, and sometimes I add a little water on days I don't want it so thick.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    After my workout I generally mix a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder (I use MuscleTech) and either a cup of OJ or pineapple juice. Tastes similar to a creamsicle!
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I happen to really like the taste of certain protein powders, my fave of the moment is Protizyme peanut butter cookie, great amino panel, no artificial sugar and gluten free. I can bake with it too and it doesn't get too dry. My go to right now is a scoop of it with some almond milk in my coffee like a protein latte. It's delicious. I also make pancakes with protein powder each morning. (I am starting to feel like Forest Gump...protein pancakes, protein muffins, shrimp and protein) ha ha. Quest bars are a great tasting protein bar with 20 grams and no artificial sweeteners, gluten free etc. if you don't want to go the powder route. Also look into peanut flour, it's very high in protein and low in fat - like PB2 without the sugar and much more protein. I order it at www.byrdmill.com.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just started NROL4W yesterday, but I don't like to eat in the morning so I have been having a Boost Very Vanilla High Protein, this may not be the way you want to go because it has 23g of sugar and only 15g of protein. I like it and I just make sure I work the calories into my diet.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I use Target brand too. I like just about anything and this one serves me fine. Last night I used milk, a scoop of powder, and some Ghiradelli hot cocoa mix as a treat. It was SO GOOD.

That said, I don't think you NEED to have a shake or a protein bar after a workout. The important thing is to get some protein; in the form of regular food is fine, I'm sure.