Newbie to the group with questions...

Options
JodaNord
JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
Hi all.

So I have been on this journey for about a year and a half and have lost 20 lbs to now weigh 144. I am 5'6" 30 yr old female

I workout 5-6 days a week. Have graduated Insanity and half marathon training till an injury sidelined running. I currently am finishing chalean extreme and going to start p90x January. I eat most healthy but still live and eat fun foods occasionally.

I have no idea if calorie wise I am at the right plae or to change it up some still. As well What my diet should look like. For example, should I be super strict and eat completely clean or do I need a reset? And how should I do whatever needs to be done to lower my body fat which is I think around 20% as I have some minor definition but would like to be leaner, more like 18%. Is that realistic for me? I just need to directions And guidance really. And I am intermittently using mfp as my weight has stayed stable for so long whether I log or not and I don't seem I lose anything anymore

Hints tips any knowledge any want to impart is appreciated!

Replies

• sprinkels29
    Options
    I just think eating clean is the key, and lifting to get your body fat % down. How many calories do you normally eat? I was projected at 1200 but that seemed too low to me so I upped it. I followed some instructions to skew the MFP in order for it to reflect the actual loss due to increased calories. I aim for about 1500-1800.... depending on if I am lifting that day. I try to eat non-processed stuff as much as possible (1/2 cheats a week) no refined/artificial sugar etc. And I'm eating about 5 times a day, 3 meals and 2 snacks....I'm just starting this whole journey but I feel great and when I put anything bad in my system boy do I feel it!

This is from a post Heybales did;
    "That's because MFP has a daily maintenance figure with no exercise included nor expected, but you just set a daily goal with exercise included. So math is off each day.

For that piece of encouragement to show a tad better, see what MFP says it is using as your BMR, even if you have more accurate Katch BMR estimate.
    Apps - BMR

Your estimated TDEE / MFP BMR = adjusted multiplier.

Now go to Settings - Diet/Fitness Profile.
    Change Loss goal to maintain.
    Change Activity Level so that this is greater than your multiplier.
    Sedentary - 1.25
    Lightly Active - 1.35
    Active - 1.45
    Very Active - 1.55

So notice they only go as high as Moderately Active used in normal TDEE calculators. But if that's what you used, good to go.

When you save out of that page, you will have to manually adjust calorie goals again.

So if your TDEE is 2235, and your BMR is 1442, then 1.55.
    So you would select Very Active in MFP.
    They would set daily maintenance at 2235.

You set goal to 1900.

And when you reach goal and they do math, "in 5 weeks you lose 3.35 lbs".

But, since you also included exercise, you could go a step further.
    Log your exercise calories after you reach your daily goal, or mentally remember you only hit 1900. So you will appear to have that deficit also, and when you finish for the day, bigger deficit which is what really happened."
  • JodaNord
    Options
    My calories are set to 1740 and since i have a Polar HRM i input the calories burned during whatever workout i am doing and usually eat up to that amount. Some days I allow more and others days less just to keep my body guessing as to what its getting too...

I try and drink water often, usually don't feel thirsty. I get between 8-12 glasses in a day.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • JodaNord
    Options
    bump anyone....
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I'll just comment on your future workout your planning in january with p90x.. Follow the nutrition plan guidelines, I am sure its going to have you eat between 1800-2100 calories everyday. I would start doing that when you switch to the program and also set your macro's at whats recommended, the first month I think is 50/30/20 (pro/carb/fat),
    Those macro's combined with the program should be able to help get your bf% down where you are looking 1 or 2 percent.. but thats eating pretty clean and meeting those macro's. Also just so you know P90x has some moves like Insanity, so if your injury prevents you from jumping you may have an issue with the plyo x day.. But to drop that body fat you are going to want to lift heavy (heavy weights or bands) in the program and stay within the 8-10 rep sets.
    The days of your cut # being 15-20% are pretty much over at your height/weight/bf%
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I'll just comment on your future workout your planning in january with p90x.. Follow the nutrition plan guidelines, I am sure its going to have you eat between 1800-2100 calories everyday. I would start doing that when you switch to the program and also set your macro's at whats recommended, the first month I think is 50/30/20 (pro/carb/fat),
    Those macro's combined with the program should be able to help get your bf% down where you are looking 1 or 2 percent.. but thats eating pretty clean and meeting those macro's. Also just so you know P90x has some moves like Insanity, so if your injury prevents you from jumping you may have an issue with the plyo x day.. But to drop that body fat you are going to want to lift heavy (heavy weights or bands) in the program and stay within the 8-10 rep sets.
    The days of your cut # being 15-20% are pretty much over at your height/weight/bf%

Thanks, this is what I figured, so I had decided when i start P90X to be super strict and eat clean, and follow the nutrition plan as close as I can while lifting as heavy as I can thru the program. Heres to results and seeing more then just the upper definition in my abs!!