REQUIRE ADVICE

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
Today is my 20th day of my reset and I have gained 2 kgs .... is it fine to gain so much weight ?...... I have been stuffing myself with not so nutritious food inorder to Merthyr my calories Is it fine....... please advice

Replies

• jmzz1
    Options
    Help
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I wanted to reply because you're crying for help but honestly, I am not familiar enough with all types of situations to comment intelligently on whether you're "normal" or not. I can only tell you that I did not experience the same rapid weight gain but then again I was able to eat good quality food mostly (maybe 5% was not) to meet my TDEE. Not a lot of additional sodium, sugar, preservatives, etc. which is what may be affecting your gain.

Do you really think ALL of that could be fat? I doubt it. I'm sure much of it is water.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply.

Hang in there and try to eat better foods in the meantime!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal to me. And 2kgs isn't really that much. I would suggest not filling your days with junk to meet your calorie goals. I eat very healthily and cleanly for the most part and have no problem getting 2500-3200 calories worth of "good" food in every day.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    i try to eat healthy but have to squeeze in some junk food to meet the calorie .... my diary is open any sort of suggestion is appreciated
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Any more opinion.....
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Plz do share ur experience during reset period to pacify n myself
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's not about adding junk to reach your calorie goals. Just eat a little more of the food you're already eating. Instead of 1 egg, have 2. Instead of 1 serving of nuts, have 1.5 or 2.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary there doesn't seem to be much junk in there at all - you're mostly getting what looks to be nutritious home cooked meals.

So as the poster above me said, just eat what your eating but have bigger portions. You're also using skimmed milk so you could get some extra cals but using whole milk. And where you're having paneer cheese you're having a very small piece. Have a bit more and you'll not only get extra cals in, it's also great for protein.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Looking at your diary there doesn't seem to be much junk in there at all - you're mostly getting what looks to be nutritious home cooked meals.

So as the poster above me said, just eat what your eating but have bigger portions. You're also using skimmed milk so you could get some extra cals but using whole milk. And where you're having paneer cheese you're having a very small piece. Have a bit more and you'll not only get extra cals in, it's also great for protein.
    Paneer is cottage cheese
    And if I increase my calories I am exceeding my carbs intake ... so really confused what to do ?
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I find that if I focus more on meeting my protein macros, then my carbs and fat tend to fall in place. I love carbs, so focusing on protein makes me stop and think before I reach for the popchips. I've learned to reach for the cheese or nuts instead.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Paneer is cottage cheese
    And if I increase my calories I am exceeding my carbs intake ... so really confused what to do ?

Yes, paneer (or any other cottage cheese) is great for protein as I said. Eat more if this and it will increase your protein intake and possibly your fat intake but not your carbs.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    IN the beginning of reset, its a lot to consider... Calories... Carbs, Protein... am I lifting heavy.. lighten up on the cardio... etc etc..
    Concentrate on one or two things at a time..
    Since you are in reset, you want the cals in. So work on those. Pay attention to macros, but dont sweat it if you go over an carbs often.. Work on reducing them but dont freak out if it doesnt happen.. Im 7+ months in from my reset and cut and I am still working on reducing the carb intake. Some days are better than others.

Are your macros set to 40%/30%/30%? If not, make them so.
    If you concentrate on your protein first, then it makes it easier to get that in while keeping carbs low. Greek yogurt is grat, but watch the flavored stuff... really high in carbs.. Work on reducing a bread serving, or only having pasta or another starch once a day.. things like that will add up over time. I think it is way better to make sure you are eating at your TDEE for your rest, rather than worrying about going over on your macros.. as long as the food choices are not junk.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    IN the beginning of reset, its a lot to consider... Calories... Carbs, Protein... am I lifting heavy.. lighten up on the cardio... etc etc..
    Concentrate on one or two things at a time..
    Since you are in reset, you want the cals in. So work on those. Pay attention to macros, but dont sweat it if you go over an carbs often.. Work on reducing them but dont freak out if it doesnt happen.. Im 7+ months in from my reset and cut and I am still working on reducing the carb intake. Some days are better than others.

Are your macros set to 40%/30%/30%? If not, make them so.
    If you concentrate on your protein first, then it makes it easier to get that in while keeping carbs low. Greek yogurt is grat, but watch the flavored stuff... really high in carbs.. Work on reducing a bread serving, or only having pasta or another starch once a day.. things like that will add up over time. I think it is way better to make sure you are eating at your TDEE for your rest, rather than worrying about going over on your macros.. as long as the food choices are not junk.
    I do have my macros set in that order... since I suffer from PCOS I have a fear that will my carbs exceeding the limit hinder my weight loss
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Today is my 20th day of my reset and I have gained 2 kgs .... is it fine to gain so much weight ?...... I have been stuffing myself with not so nutritious food inorder to Merthyr my calories Is it fine....... please advice

If you are truly eating at TDEE what should happen is exactly the opposite of what happened eating too low calorie.

In that case you had weight loss of some amount about the same weekly and then it tapered off to no weight loss - because your TDEE was suppressed and you had no more deficit.

Opposite.

You are eating in surplus for a bit and should gain until your metabolism comes back up, showing diminishing gains as it rises.
    If truly at TDEE it will stop gaining weekly and maintain. Now did you really hit it, or still slightly suppressed and it could go higher?
    If the last 2 weeks show maybe 1 lb 1/2 kg total gain total, that's still in surplus so pretty good. If still gaining 1 lb weekly after 6-8 weeks than your estimated TDEE is probably too high.

Oh, your BMR and TDEE go up to as you gain weight, just as they go down as it lowers. But use the bodyfat% Katch BMR as foundation in case you are gaining non-fat weight, or LBM.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    All I want to say is maybe AIM for 1g protein per lb LBM (and maybe around 50g fat) and don't fret so much on macros. I didn't look at your diary, but I doubt your carb intake is all that ridiculous. Just get the protein in and let fat and carbs fall where they may (still exercise common sense though) :flowerforyou:
  • jmzz1
    Options

If you are truly eating at TDEE what should happen is exactly the opposite of what happened eating too low calorie.

In that case you had weight loss of some amount about the same weekly and then it tapered off to no weight loss - because your TDEE was suppressed and you had no more deficit.

Opposite.

You are eating in surplus for a bit and should gain until your metabolism comes back up, showing diminishing gains as it rises.
    If truly at TDEE it will stop gaining weekly and maintain. Now did you really hit it, or still slightly suppressed and it could go higher?
    If the last 2 weeks show maybe 1 lb 1/2 kg total gain total, that's still in surplus so pretty good. If still gaining 1 lb weekly after 6-8 weeks than your estimated TDEE is probably too high.

Oh, your BMR and TDEE go up to as you gain weight, just as they go down as it lowers. But use the bodyfat% Katch BMR as foundation in case you are gaining non-fat weight, or LBM.
    So should I change my calories according to TDEE as per weight gain dduring my reset period or maintained the same TDEE with which I started my reset period? .....
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So should I change my calories according to TDEE as per weight gain dduring my reset period or maintained the same TDEE with which I started my reset period? .....

Well, that's where the theory of eating at your TDEE despite weight gain falls apart.

Because literally, increased weight would indeed increase your BMR and your TDEE, and you would be eating even higher, obviously causing more weight gain, and increased BMR .....

Sounds like great way to just keep constantly increasing weight during a reset, huh.

So you do obviously stop at some point. Which means really at some point you are not actually eating at your current weight TDEE, but below it.

When the gaining tapers off to nothing, you might take look at current weight TDEE and see how much higher it really is then you were eating. Might spend a week eating half the difference, see if any gain or if you maintain. If you maintain, add the other half.

If the gaining doesn't taper off, you are clearly above TDEE still and it could be either metabolism is still coming up, or it's stopped and you are over.