Knee Pain

Options
sammiz1
sammiz1 Posts: 54 Member
Hi Everyone,

I just completed the week 2 work out 2 of Zombies Run training (very similar to C25K) and my knees are hurting...even to walk. Last summer I did C25K and experienced the same thing. I have new running sneakers, and this time around I started after logging 2 months walking (up to 3.5 miles each walk). I thought that would help prevent the knee pain.

Anyway...I am wondering...is this just something I need to work past...or are my knees not "runner friendly?"

Looking forward to your thoughts on this. I work with several people who run and I would love to join them in the different 5Ks they participate in!!

Replies

• MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    you say you're using "new sneakers". Are they running-specific shoes chosen to match your specific gait? If not then that could be the reason.

It's not enough to have new shoes. You need the RIGHT shoes.
  • sammiz1
    Options
    Yup, they are running-specific, but not chosen to meet my specific gait. How can I find out about my gait? That might be the problem. (I am new to running.)
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    You can google it and you'll find suggestions on how you can work out your own gait by looking at your shoes to see how they wear; looking at your barefoot footprints to see the weight distribution etc

But IMO, gait analysis is best done by someone who knows what they are doing and can help you select the right shoe! There are so many pairs to choose from and making the wrong choice will cost more in the long run.

Find your local running shop and go in and have a chat. Tell them you're new to running, doing c25k and explain the issues you're having. If they're anything like the guys in my local shop they'll be happy to help you identify what you need and sell you a pair of shoes that meet your needs. I was given this advice, followed it and my knee issues disappeared.

Good luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Make sure it is a real running store and not a "tennis shoe fashion boutique". In the meantime, practice RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

http://www.dukehealth.org/orthopaedics/services/sports-medicine/care-guides/injury-recovery-the-rice-principles
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My knees killed me the night after a run. After about a month, the knee pain went away for me. I also get shin splints, and that stopped bothering me as well.
  • sammiz1
    Options
    Thanks! I found two places in my area that are dedicated to runners and have a lot of good ratings on yelp.com. I will be checking them out and see what they have to say about my gait. Hopefully this is my problem!! If not, it sounds like they may be able to help me with questions!!:smile:
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you need to slow down. This is my experience: I tried C25K a couple of times and failed before I figured it out. I usually would fail around week 3 or 4. I think that I felt that I had been running a while, so I started to pick up the pace and an just would end up with sore knees that made me unable to continue. This last time around, when I wanted to speed up, I didn't. I kept at a pace that I considered uncomfortably slow, but it kept my knees from bothering me. I read somewhere on here or some other place on the internet, that different systems develop at different times and that often your cardiovascular system will be in better shape sooner than your musculoskeletal system. In my case, I felt like I could push it, but my musculoskeletal system wasn't ready yet. I also read that many times when a runner complains about knee pain, the pain is the result of muscle imbalance not the knee itself. I spent some time looking at knee diagrams and figured that this was likely the case with me. My quads weren't ready yet. I just kept it slow, I was to the point where if it didn't work this time I was going to give up trying and pick up a different sport. Going slow got me through the program and on to 10K training. I have also been able to increase my speed gradually without pain. Good luck figuring out the issue and being able to continue with your training.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Be careful that your cartilage might have wear out. Get it checked.

I did take glucosamine for repair of cartilage, and also strengthen the thighs through other exercised to strengthen the muscles around the knee. Running can be quite a strain on the knee. Take care.
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The first itme I did c25k I had horrible knee pain. I couldn't even squat down with out holding on to something or having my arms bear some of the weight. This time around the pain started up again. After a run I would stretch and cool down. Then I'd sit with my knee elevated on pillows and lay my knee on an ice pack for 20 mins. I'd do each knee. Then I'd lay the ice pack on the top of my knee for maybe ten mins each. I never had any pain after that.... ever!

I'm starting week 9 and still ice my knees as a precauction.

Good luck!

:happy:
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    It is possible that you need to slow down. This is my experience: I tried C25K a couple of times and failed before I figured it out. I usually would fail around week 3 or 4. I think that I felt that I had been running a while, so I started to pick up the pace and an just would end up with sore knees that made me unable to continue. This last time around, when I wanted to speed up, I didn't. I kept at a pace that I considered uncomfortably slow, but it kept my knees from bothering me. I read somewhere on here or some other place on the internet, that different systems develop at different times and that often your cardiovascular system will be in better shape sooner than your musculoskeletal system. In my case, I felt like I could push it, but my musculoskeletal system wasn't ready yet. I also read that many times when a runner complains about knee pain, the pain is the result of muscle imbalance not the knee itself. I spent some time looking at knee diagrams and figured that this was likely the case with me. My quads weren't ready yet. I just kept it slow, I was to the point where if it didn't work this time I was going to give up trying and pick up a different sport. Going slow got me through the program and on to 10K training. I have also been able to increase my speed gradually without pain. Good luck figuring out the issue and being able to continue with your training.

You're a wise lady Snark :)

Building up the muscles around your knees is super important. That was the main thing I learned from going to physical therapy for my constant knee pain last year.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Aw! thanks Tash! :flowerforyou: It is amazing what you can learn between your peers and the experts on the internet machine!
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

You're a wise lady Snark :)

Building up the muscles around your knees is super important. That was the main thing I learned from going to physical therapy for my constant knee pain last year.

This has been my experience too.
  • sammiz1
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input!!

I haven't started back up yet...I had a different type of injury side line me...But this week end I am going to stop at the running store and talk to someone there to make sure my sneakers are proper...and I will take the advice about slowing down the progression a little bit.

Like dieting...everything in moderation!!

Thanks again!
  • csqurred
    csqurred Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had the same pain in the first 2 weeks of the program. I can not find the article I read but it said that it is normal to feel some pain for the first 4-6 weeks when starting a running program and the pain usually goes away. I took ibuprofen the days it hurt and usually when I started running or walking fast it would go away.