Sponsorship

Options
I have had two of my sponsorees drop out and disappear from the radar, and I am looking for two more female sponsorees. I thought I might post here and see if anyone needs a sponsor. There are so many people who need a sponsor that have a hard time finding one.

Things you need to know about me--I sponsor mostly by email. I like to send a list of questions for you to think about, so there is writing involved. I am both a step and a food sponsor, and I am not keen on being just one of those. I am not perfect myself. I have good days, not so good day, and ugly days with food. I will celebrate 10 years in OA in just a few days. My recovery was mostly emotional and spiritual first and physical recovery has come later. Again, I say I am not perfect--not a perfect sponsor, not a perfect eater, not at a perfect weight. I can only offer 10 years of amazing recovery, thanks to God. I am not who I used to be, and 10 more years from now, I pray that I am not who I am today.

Is there anyone else out there who can take on any sponsorees? Let's support each other. There are SO many out there who need a sponsor but can't find one.

Replies

• xyneshia
    xyneshia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am new to this group and looking through the posts. I don't know if your post is still relevant since it is so old but I thought I would give it a shot. I am not sure what exactly sponsorship entails since I do not have a sponsor. I need a sponsor who can sponsor me via email because, well, I don't have a phone. I have been attending meetings for awhile and have worked out a nutrition and work out plan with my doctor and a nutritionist so I am hesitant to have a sponsor who would be telling me what to eat and how often to work out because (s)he would not be aware of my medical history and needs. Does sponsorship include more than this? From what I have heard I really don't know. I have been abstinent for 4 months. I am doing my best to "work the steps" via the book and workbook, journaling, meetings, prayer and the support of my husband and daughter. I guess I need someone who has walked in my shoes, knows what it is like and can help me walk down the path I find myself on. If we sound like a good match let me know, if not, no hard feelings :-)
    Rachel
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    Rachel,

Just happened to see your message. I'll message you privately later this evening.

Kris
  • LittleLucy23
    Options
    Hi,
    I am looking for a sponsor and e-mail connection would be great. I am hoping you are still available. Can you post privately?
  • zeeee
    zeeee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also an OA sponsor and would welcome helping you.
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    Glad to see you post here Zeeee! I have as many sponsorees as I can handle now.
  • katerade88
    katerade88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm also in need of a sponsor, I can do it by email or phone. Message me if you want more details.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am so excited/thrilled and NERVOUS since I just committed to a sponsor. Although I was in OA for 6 years in '90-96, I honestly can't remember ever REALLY working the Steps with a sponsor. I know I did not do a 4th step, so there is a lot of nervous excitement.

I'm working the 12 Steps of OA workbook on my own and will talk with my new sponsor on Tuesday about her expectations -- and mine. Funny, I just "figured" they said DO IT and you did or didn't -- and got fired. To think that I have a say in the matter is quite empowering -- and incredibly humbling.

I truly appreciate having this forum; I've tried the online meetings and wasn't wowed. This really fits a good piece of the puzzle to my recovery.
    :flowerforyou:
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    It's a special relationship between a sponsor and sponsee. I've sponsored before and it was just as rewarding for me to work the steps (again) through my sponsee!
    Some sponsors are hardcore with the food plan, such as following the grey sheet, but I'm all about having a plan, sticking to that plan, and avoiding trigger foods. I also like the idea of sharing my menu with someone to be held to it, but not necessarily every day.
    OA is a great program for us COEs!
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Options
    My menu is out there every day for anyone to look at! Kind of a new thing for me and it feels really good. I haven't written yet today, and never made it to the books yesterday. But, I still have a few hours and it is foremost in my mind to spend some time with me this evening before hubby and daughter come home.

I have a couple of prayers I use, one of which I had remembered from years ago in my first go-round that I found in the Lifeline Sampler. This morning I recorded that and the Serenity Prayer into my phone so I can listen to them whenever -- and as I listen I know I will memorize more and more of the feelings behind the words. Does that make sense? Hmmm whatever the case, it feels quite good.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I say the serenity prayer daily, which carries a heavy weight, and is a simple but powerful tool to live by. I'm blessed to have a partner that has been in program for 34 years. Although he's in a different recovery program, we hold a recovery group meeting in our home for those who are struggling with addiction. Life is great!

If anyone is interested in help getting started, please send me a message to my inbox.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Options
    My morning prayer, as found in "Lifeline Sampler":

In the quiet of the morning hour, I come to You for peace. Give me the power to view the world today through love-filled eyes. Help me be patient, gentle, wise; to see beyond what seems to be ... O clothe me in Your beauty, this I pray -- give me the grace to do Your will today.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Options
    I just want to make a plug for Sponsorship. About 2 weeks ago, I finally followed The Tug that said "get a sponsor". Of course, "it" had to be THE PERFECT Sponsor. BS. Went to a new meeting; she was the one that marked on my outreach call sheet all the sponsors. I called her the next day and asked her. She's given me questions to start working on, and today we had our first one-on-one time.

God really does put in our lives EXACTLY what we need at that moment -- if we're willing to get out of God (and our) way.