Faulty BMF or not pushing hard enough?

Options
oonga
oonga Posts: 336 Member
Hi Guys,

Just wondering how you find your METS and burns for strength training?
I have started STS 2 weeks ago, and it says what the expected METS are for certain workouts, normally around 6.

Now i know that calorie burns are quite low for Strength training and although coming from a running & circuit history, I feel a bit ripped off with my burns LOL It's the METS that gets me wondering if my BMF is faulty or am i not pushing enough??

Normally the average METS for my workouts are around the 2 -3 METS according to the BMF.

I don't really know how i can push harder, i am struggling, lifting to failure at times out of breath from exertion, more so towards the end of a workout or after certain exercises, sweating etc...

So what gives? Anyone know?

I also don't notice that my burns are particularly higher on days that i lift, as opposed to days that i take the dogs for a longer walk? So i don't know about measuring the after burn? Though i guess considering walking is cardio its going to burn more anyway right? Plus i think on lifting days i tend to take it easier with walks etc so its probably not fair to compare those days :)

The METS on my BMF are set at the default settings they came with, if that makes any difference?

Otherwise i am loving my BMF and seeing my daily burns :)

Replies

• lisab0864
    Options
    If you are struggling while working out -- you definitely are pushing yourself hard enough.. The BMF isn't that accurate for certain exercises -- it seems to like exercises where your feet are hitting the ground better. I know it's sort aggravating if you are using it to gauge your workouts but it seems to be really accurate over the course of the day (based on my 2 years experience).
    Afterburn really doesn't amount to many extra calories burned -- so if you are active at all after exercise you probably wouldn't even notice it.
    Lowering the mets required to hit moderate or vigorous might make you feel better (ie possibly more activity time shown) but it doesn't change the number of calorie burned at the end of the day.

So bottom line..............sounds like you BMF is working correctly and you are pushing hard enough.. ;-)
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    awesome feedback from an experienced user Lisa!! Thanks heaps!! Off to lift now, before starting work at 6:30am lol
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I would tend to agree - I haven't had my BMF a year yet. I've had to adjust though to what it tells me and what I feel is happening. I am an advid bicyclist. The lack of vigerous exercise recored for an awesome, up the hills bike ride is extremely crushing to see. My bmf only records vigerous if I'm running. I hate running. It will record spinning though as vigerous if I'm out of the saddle and pushing hard up a hill. :laugh: What I've learned to look at is the calories it records as being burned during that time period. I will then adjust my exercise at this site for that activity to read those calories. I don't pay attention to the METS. I don't know enough to know if I should. I have the two sites linked but as MFP tends to only pick up the BMF calories first time I log in in the morning, I know I can't count on MFP as being accurate unless I manually enter the evening exercise. I figure with the two sites, it have a good picture though I don't know of any site that can give you 100% accuracy.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think even though it does not look like it's picking it up, I think it is, at least in the calorie department, mine is ever so slightly higher than doing nothing. And I think it's much more accurate than a heart rate monitor. I know a lot of people get upset because it's not showing up in there activity level but it does show up in calorie burn over all.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have the two sites linked but as MFP tends to only pick up the BMF calories first time I log in in the morning, I know I can't count on MFP as being accurate unless I manually enter the evening exercise. I figure with the two sites, it have a good picture though I don't know of any site that can give you 100% accuracy.

I manually entered my exercise calories also, I use the workout part of the app to get them. I also sync with MFP off and on throughout the day and it will readjust depending on my daily activities.
  • t_elliot
    t_elliot Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I found the same with the Elliptical.. BMF was recording about 1/3 of the steps and fewer calories . As suggested by someone on the BMF Facebook page I tried putting the band on my calf.. Although this is not recommended my calorie count and calorie burn was almost identical to what my Elliptical was telling me. This post also suggested to do the same for cycling.. I figure this is just as accurate as putting in the workout manually.