Med Question

Options
Gentyl
Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
Hi everyone, and thank you in advance for your help.

I'm on Metformin, 1000 mg twice a day. I usually take a pill just before bed. If my BG is 74 (4.3) before bed, should I take my medicine?

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I always stick to my med schedule. If I am under 100 at bedtime, I have something to eat before turning in, so my morning BG doesn’t fall too low. ½ of a glucose tablet raised my BG from 96 at bedtime to 109 in the morning. An Asian pear or apple does about the same thing. I was 100 last night, had a slice of pizza before bed, and I was 89 this morning.

Experiment. Have something and test every hour for several hours until you find what works for you. You don’t want to go too high. Everyone is different. I’m 238 lbs and seem to be producing some insulin, so what I take will have a different results for a person that is half my weight.
  • Gentyl
    Options
    Thanks. I wound up taking the Metformin and was just fine this morning. Thank you!
  • NotThePest
    Options
    Speak with your doc. According to my endo, What you take at night, works for the morning numbers and what you take in the a.m. affects the night numbers. A glucose level of 74 is not a problem once you're body becomes use to it being low. The closer you can stay toward "normal" the better off you are.
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What does he say is normal for am and pm readings?
    Thanks.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I to am on Metformin SL and take 2 at night 1000mgr with dinner and if I find I am below 5 before I go to bed I have a small bite to eat. I go back to my diabetic educator on the 19th and have a feeling my meds will be cut in half as I have normal readings now- But I wont adjust my medication myself- If I where you I would be speaking to your doctor fist and foremost..

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jiminykohime
    Options
    Hi my doc tells that metfirmin doesnt have an immediate effect on sugars, however the background level of metformin in the blood helps overall.

So If your on meformin you should take it religiously. Taking on or not wont change your immediate readings, infact this showed to be thru for me as it didnt realy have any effect when I started taking metformin or changed doses for a couple of weeks.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    correct, keep taking it, don't skip.
    Hi my doc tells that metfirmin doesnt have an immediate effect on sugars, however the background level of metformin in the blood helps overall.

So If your on meformin you should take it religiously. Taking on or not wont change your immediate readings, infact this showed to be thru for me as it didnt realy have any effect when I started taking metformin or changed doses for a couple of weeks.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm new at all this and i forgot my pill this morning should I take it at 3pm now. After eating an apple. Guess I will.
    Only been three weeks and i'm not good with pills. Only on 500 mg breakfast and supper. The readings are going down. Don't feel no different than I ever did with dieting. When your not loaded down with bread your peppier. lol.

Good luck to all of us.

Linda C.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I no longer need to take any medication, but when I was on Metformin, I always took the prescribed dose at the prescribed time, no matter what my present blood glucose reading was at the time. In my situation, my morning number has always been the highest, so I would always wake up to a higher reading than before I went to bed anyway, so taking my evening dose made sense to me to keep my morning reading from being even higher.
  • Gentyl
    Options
    Thank you all for the invaluable information. I'm still so new to this, even 3 months in. I'm finding that there's a big learning curve when it comes to diabetes.. so much to know, to understand, so many different diets to follow, finding what works for me, medications, what they do and don't do.. It's just a lot. I will definitely be as consistent as I can be on the Metformin.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A Question for Travis. I always take my night pill with supper. Would my readings be better in the morning if I took it at bedtime instead. Like you my morning readings are high.

Linda