**SIX PACK NUTRITION SHACK EATERS**

Options
nmzeta
nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
I thought I would post in here after Kiki's post in the NewsFeed yesterday. (If you didn't see it check out her page). So what is the final verdict? Do we think the nutrition facts given on the labels are close to accurate? I have 24 of them sitting in my freezer right now and am wondering what to do.

Thanks

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    can you post a picture?
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Can you direct me to her link? I didn't see it and have been buying them too...
  • nmzeta
    Options
    31prvrbs Ok...**SIX PACK NUTRITION SHACK EATERS** I just noticed that on my 3-pack of bars, the nutrition facts state that the container has 6 servings. If this is the case then the serving size is HALF a bar. ???? Is mine a misprint? It's my last package, so I haven't been paying attention, ROFL. Could explain why peeps eating them feel that they're getting more cals than they thought. ????
    3 days ago · Comment

31prvrbs I'm bulking so I haven't really cared. But just wondering. I was planning to weigh it, but forgot before I left the house. And it's my last bar, lol...
    3 days ago

keremu LOL!! Wow!! Why would a make the servings half a bar?!!!!! Just make it smaller so I feel better about my life! No one is going to eat half of a bar!!!
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto I have noticed a bunch of discrepancies and have notified her about them. A portion of the e-mail I sent to her: One thing I have noticed that is a bit confusing (and I think incorrect) is the Nutrition Label... Where is says Serving Size = 1 ... I am assuming that is one bar. The part that is confusing is the 3mg. I don't think there is any way that is correct - 3mg is a miniscule amount. Those bars weigh a lot more than 3mg, I believe... It is also confusing that it says Servings per Container = 6 Since you sell them in all different quantities (6s, 12s and 24s), that is probably not too accurate.
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto And her response: 6 pack is my standard box here. Six are packed in a six pack. Each 24 order gets 4 boxes of six bars. Each 12 pack is really 2 six pack boxes. You can prob see pics on Facebook of my brown six pack boxes. Since shipping allows minimal space, i wrap however possible to bubble wrap for safe arrival. Since oven temps vary(especially on how long oven is on during day) I weigh out product prior to baking before it expands to a final square. Its only way i can get macronutrients accurate before the bars bake. It avoids me not cutting into a perfect square and as you may notice, the thickness of bars vary due to protein powder etc mixing with other ingredients:)
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto Now, she has recently changed the Nutrition Label to read that they weigh 12 grams (not 3 mg), but that is still wrong. They weigh about 4 ounces which is about 114 grams.
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto Hope that made sense...... That first post was an e-mail I sent to her, and the second one was her response back to me...
    3 days ago

jaeone on the carob chip/Peanut butter My label says 6 per container, so 6 in a plastic bag. 1 serving 1 bar I would assume. but I always thought, wow this is a big bar for 250 calories!!
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto She seriously needs to correct her labels and make them accurate for each package - I have told her that a couple of times, but haven't gotten anywhere so far........
    3 days ago

smurfee11 They are really good...im not knocking them at all. BUT i let my mom and brother try them and their sugar went sky high with just half a bar..they are insulin dependent so i wasnt sure about the nutrition fact being accurate either. :\
    3 days ago

justjen0117 So is each square bar considered 1 or 2 servings?
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto I am also not sure how the nutritional facts could be identical no matter which flavor you get. They are really good and I would hate to quit getting them, but smurfee has me worried with her post.^^^ I have been questioning them a bit, because usually things sweetened with stevia aren't usually that sweet tasting...
    3 days ago

31prvrbs @Joan- my bags only came 3 to a container. So I was assuming 1 bar = 1 serving, til I just saw that. Had me kinda freaking ???? thinking I just ate 500 cals instead of 250. LOL. Like I said, I'm bulking so it's all good. Extra protein/cals, etc, are going to the right place. ???? But to know if/how they'd fit into cutting had me wondering...
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto According to her e-mail to me, each bar is one serving (at least that is how I read it...)
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto I keep wondering though, if her nutritional labels are so wrong, what else might be wrong? (mind you, none of this has kept me from continuing to buy them so far...:-)
    3 days ago

Ironphoenix Here in uk (as I understand it) the calorie content of a packaged item has to be Lab tested I.e. they put it in a machine that calculates the calories by burning the thing to dust lol. 12g is the weight of about three brazil nuts so it doesn't sound like she has it right and the macros from one flavour to another would definitely not be identical. Has anyone added up the calories going by the macros? I.e. 4cals per gram of carb/protein, 9cals per gram of fat....that's usually a good way of checking cals etc or at least whether they are close
    3 days ago

laurae Oh, my...I just placed my first order. I will need to get Renae busy experimenting on baking our own so I know exactly how many calories and grams of macros are in them.
    3 days ago

31prvrbs @Laura- at least she will have the bars there and a starting point with the ingredient list ;). I'd really love to be able to make a protein bar that I'd actually eat. I despise most protein recipes. But I also despise protein powder, and the bar is only as good as the powder you're using.
    3 days ago

jaeone Kiki, lol I know you had me worried too! I ate one as a morning snack I'm thinking oh no, that was my lunch!! I think I will start cutting them in half to be safe.
    3 days ago

Noor13 Lol that explains why most people were saying they are keeping them full for such a long time :)
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto @Ironphoenix: great idea - may have to pull out the ole calculator! When I got my first package and it said that one bar weighed 3mg, I knew we had a problem. I think one aspirin weighs more than that.....
    3 days ago

trishadams Funny, I emailed her about serving size and macros and she says they are accurate. I was eating one in the AM and one in the PM thinking I was getting in good protein, but also noticed I seemed to gain quicker. Finished off my last few and will be back to making my own again. Love the taste, but I don't like not knowing if they are accurate.
    3 days ago

nmzeta Wow ladies, you've really got a girl thinking... I get my vegan yet my nutrition labels are the same as the ones with whey and eggs.
    3 days ago · Delete

kg6blue Ah geez... hate it when things I love, turn out to be bad for me... guess I'll go back to red wine and chocolate! LOL Wasn't there a seinfeld episode where they took the yogurt to someplace to get it tested for accuracy on cals etc? Wonder if that place is still open????
    3 days ago

holleysings So is one bar two servings or one? lol I'm SO CONFUSED!!!
    3 days ago

laurae I just did what ironphoenix suggested using the labels on her website, and I came up with 218 calories, 213 calories, and 220 calories, that is assuming that her macros are correct.
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto @ holleysings: according to her e-mail, one bar is one serving...
    3 days ago

Ironphoenix Hey "calories from fat" are wrong 6 x 9 = 54 cals not 50. She should get her nutrition labels straight. Not a massive error but makes you wonder what else isn't correct
    3 days ago

nmzeta If it's not exactly 6 then her calculation could be right. As an accountant, I can tell you numbers are often rounded. Do you really want her to put 5.55556? She prob just rounded up to 6
    3 days ago · Delete

AnitraSoto Well, the mere fact that they weigh about 112 grams and not 12 grams is the first big red flag (never mind the original 3MG that the labels said!)
    3 days ago

nmzeta lol
    3 days ago · Delete

oneida_russet Just me talking out loud...they've always looked to good to be true.
    3 days ago

sagj Sounds to me that these are highly suspect. Part of my job is creating and standarizing recipes for nutritional content; it is not easy or particularly straight forward. If all the labels are same regardless of ingredients it sounds like she only figured out one and is copying it through. That's just my impression. @ironphoenix-It depends on the size of the company whether they need to use a bomb calorimeter (the devise that burns them-don't ask me why I know it). Otherwise they need labels of ingredients and math skills. Awesome idea getting out the calculator!
    3 days ago

sagj Oh, and there are some weird rounding rules for nutritional labels that make them not add up right but are technically accurate. Please see the "not easy or particularly straight forward" above ;P
    3 days ago

harlanJEN I'm ADAMANT that there is something not quite correct that those nutri stats. The bars are YUM. Totally. However! I'm ANAL about what I eat and track cals. The month that I had a real honest to goodness gain on the scale (my only gain since June 2011) was when I was eating 3 of those bars a day. I truly think the calories are NOT correct.
    3 days ago

harlanJEN Those bars were the ONLY diff thing that I ate that month. Obviously, those are a trigger food for me ( 3 a day !), but if the calories were right, I'd still accounted for those cals in my day. Anyhoo. I was going to try to recreate the recipe for myself, but prob won't since they are a trigger food for me.
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto I have already e-mailed her several times, maybe if she gets a few more e-mails she will clean things up a bit..
    3 days ago

laurae @HarlenJen- I'm in trouble.....I hope to only eat 1/2 - 1 a day and make them last. After this "awakening" about the possibility of not accurate nutrition data, given with the cost per bar ($3.20), I don't think I'll be ordering again.
    3 days ago

31prvrbs Poor Lisa....an EM2WL riot????, lol
    3 days ago

AnitraSoto They are so good, but she really need to make sure her info is accurate (which it is not...) I tried my best to give her fair warning a month or so ago, to no avail :(
    3 days ago

smurfee11 I haven't ordered anymore either...I mean i tried to figure out what was in them that would drive sugar levels to over 400???? I love them too but I'm just scared of them now.
    3 days ago
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I had no idea there was such uproar over the bars. One bar is a serving. I spoke with Lisa and she will be updating the labeling. The nutritional content again is one serving equals one bar.
  • applejacks9
    Options
    Thanks Anitra for explaining how I box them locally. There are SIX in a box for my local customers; hence the name Six Pack Nutrtion shack. I recently changed the label for all my shippers/non local customers. I also changed the weight to 4.1 oz on all the new labels that started going out 3 weeks ago. They are home made bars, I try my best to keep consistency up to par. I had my macros created by a lab partner back in February. My last intent was to mislead anyone. I will stand behind my product with the magic of Stevia and coconut oil and every other morsel of goodness that goes in the bars. I have my ''six per container '' labels made before I knew how to pack them for a shipment. YES, 4 in a sleeve for a shipment. Its the only way to fit nicely in those boxes provided by Post Office. If you have any further concerns,.. please contact me!
  • applejacks9
    Options
    Lucia,
    I changed those labels over 3 weeks ago. The ones they are viewing are prior to that. However, one thing stands clear: ONE bar is a serving as it states on ALLLLLLLL the labels. From day one--- 1 bar is a serving. I wish the concerns were directed to me as Anitra reached out to me. I am a ''one man band'' and any suggestions are welcomed. Anitra, your post was 3 days ago stating you tried to give me a heads up. I changed those labels a while now. I have locals not having this concern because of the SIX packs they receive in the cute brown boxes. thank you all :)
  • nmzeta
    Options
    Man oh man... I was hoping that 'six pack' was referring to the six pack of abs I would get from eating these bars. :bigsmile:

I have received a package in the last three weeks but obviously haven't checked out the serving size. :blushing:

Thanks for explaining Lisa!
  • nmzeta
    Options
    UPDATE -- Lisa and I emailed Saturday and she explained everything. If you have any questions, just let her know (She is now on MFP: applejacks9)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    UPDATE -- Lisa and I emailed Saturday and she explained everything. If you have any questions, just let her know (She is now on MFP: applejacks9)
    Yay!
  • applejacks9
    Options
    Nmzeta: Thank you for being open- minded, sensible, beautiful, compassionate person;)
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    still wish customs wasn't so finicky in Australia and it was worth the risk of having them sent here LOL