Day 5 "10-Week Valetines Challenge"

Options
Good Morning All!!

Thank you for the posts yesterday. I was sad to read them...the hurts in your hearts.....but at the same time, I was pleased to know you felt compelled and safe to share your pain with us. To all of you, make these Holidays simple, but also, just the best you can, for yourselves and those around you! New traditions do help even though, you may still miss the old ones. In time, the pain decreases.

"Tis a gift to be simple,
"Tis a gift to be free,
"Tis a gift to come down
Where we ought to be
And when we find ourselves
In the place that's right
"Twill be in the valley
Of love and delight
Nineteeth-Century Shaker Hymn

"Is there a woman today who does not yearn for a simpler life?....Once we take stock of our lives and let gratitude begin its transformative work, the next step on the path unfolds naturally. When we appreciate how much we have, we feel the urge to par down, get back to basics, and learn what is essential for our happiness. We long to realize what's really important......

Many people believe simplicity implies doing without. On the contrary. True simplicity as a conscious life choice illuminates our lives from within. True simplicity is both buoyant and bountiful, able to liberate depressed spirits from the bondage and burden of extravagance and excess. True simplicity can elevate ordinary moments, dreary lives, and even inanimate objects...as anyone who has ever looked at an exquisite piece of Shaker furniture will attest...from the mundane to the transcendent.

Less can mean more .....Today just think about how appealing simplicity can be. Visualize a bouquet of bright yellow daffodils in a white milk jug on a pine mantel, sunlight streaming through sparkling clean windows, the shine of beautifully varnished wooden floors, the shimmering glow and fragrance of pure beeswax candles. Trust that through the balm of simplicity your frazzled and weary soul can discover the place where you ought to be. Every day offers us simple gifts when we are willing to search our hearts for the place that's right for each of us." Sarah Ban Breathnach

"You may not be responsible for getting knocked down, but you're certainly responsible for getting back up" Wally Amos

Replies

• jbnl1991
    jbnl1991 Posts: 149
    Options
    Love the idea of simplicity and the simple life, especially during the holiday season. Life is not as hectic now that my children are grown, but I remember those weeks filled with shopping, baking, holiday concerts, trips to grandparents - total chaos! I am enjoying the calmness (simplicity?) of my days now.

Thanks for today's post.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    At my drs appt today my dr gave me the best analogy on being a woman/mom/wife...etc......He said women are like a christmas trees. When we start to feel overwhelmed or stressed with our everyday life we put more ornaments on one side than the other. Usually forgetting about that side that still a part of us that needs tending. He said on top of that, when we are given more ornaments to hang unexpectedly, we usually add them onto the same side as all our other ornaments. If we aren't quick to find the balance are tree not only looks off balanced but will eventually topple over. This discussion came up has we talked about my weight loss and my "new" normal after losing my mom. They were co-workers too for over 30yrs. It just made alot of sense when he said it and thought I would share with all of you. He reminded me too that exercise will help to get the hookies out, those were seriously his words.lol. He said that when ever a patient says they don't have time to workout due to kids/job/life.....he reminds them they have music and can dance to their hearts content.

Hope everyone's having a nice week. And Fredda, I can't say thanks enough for starting this group!
  • nana6799
    nana6799 Posts: 262
    Options
    jbn1991: I can relate to what you are saying....as my children are grown and have children of their own. I do, however, miss seeing them as children, wide-eyed- sitting as close as to the decorated-lit-up christmas Tree as their little bodies would let them. That always made all the hustle and bustle worth it!
    Thank you for positng!

greencantayca: I had to chuckle when I read your post. What a great doctor!! A very good analogy.....of the lopsided Christmas Tree to a lopsided woman and the hookies....that is a pretty ugly word, but great to describe getting our defects out...and yes, no excuse for not exercising.....who doesn't have music....turn it up loud and dance a way!!
    Thanks for posting!
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    @greencantayca: Thanks for sharing this analogy I really liked it very much!
  • Jojo2k11
    Options
    Wow, thanks for that. My life has gotten really complicated really fast. I was telling my fiance' that I could always lose weight and eat right when I didn't have a job because that's all I was focused on. Now, inheriting semi-wifely duties of cooking, cleaning, taking care of a special needs (soon to be) brother-in-law and my fiance', working with a hellish commute along with the late shift, stress of an unsupported relationship by those that matter most to me and now health problems, I'm stressed beyond stressed and yearn simplicity.

My life was simple before, when it was just me, but now there's 3 and I love them dearly but it's really a rough road for me. I've never been domesticated even though I know how to be and I've loved being single to the point I kind of avoided relationships in the past because I was very conscious of the work they involved. I wouldn't trade my guy for the world, he makes our relationship easy and he helps right me when I'm lopsided, yet there is still so much to be done.