Do you think this would help?*includes food names/trigger

Options
Some people tell me if you message a friend about what you want to eat at the moment (exp: Nutella - sorry, I'm not trying to mention too many foods , I don't want to trigger people... but I'm trying to show an example)

Today I was doing good, eating reasonable meals... not really restricting much.. then I had a couple cookies, then I ended up having pop tarts, and nutella.... and it was binge... I know I could have done so much worse... the only reason I didn't is because I got out of the kitchen and went to finish my home work. NO more eating right now, my body doesn't need it.

But, I did end up eating an extra 2,400 calories on top of whatever else I had today, so my intake is now at 3,600 calories... and i know I will be hungry later this evening (sugar always makes me hungry later on)

Anyhow.. Do you think if I would have texted/ messaged a fitness friend... they could have talked me out of it or helped me prevent a binge? Does this idea sound like something anyone wants to try together.

I personally am probably going to go back to limiting added sugars, because it seems like the only time I can make it binge free for long without too many awful cravings.

Replies

• 4given4life
    4given4life Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar is a major binge for me. If I even have one bite with the intention of only eating "just one", I always go into a binge whether it be mini binge or whatever.

If you think messaging someone would help you, I say go for it. For me personally, I wouldn't take the time to message anyone because I know they would try to talk me out of it and when I get in my mind I want something, I usually get it. For me, restraining from that binge is the only thing that is going to stop me. And the more I restrain, the stronger I will get.
  • suzii32
    Options
    Yes, I think anything you can do in that moment to break out of reaching for food IS going to help. I know how hard it is though...the same thing happened to me last night. It turned out to be a mini binge because I went upstairs, put a bunch of gum in my mouth and cried. It is so frustrating to break the cycle. I know I do it out of boredom and lonliness and stress, but I can't just eat two cookies, I eat all of them. I have tried getting rid of all the trigger foods in my house(much to the dismay of my kids), but I binged the other night on dry cereal out of the box. Anyway, I felt like sharing so you know you're not alone. The worst part of my bingeing is the shame I feel.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar is a major binge for me. If I even have one bite with the intention of only eating "just one", I always go into a binge whether it be mini binge or whatever.

If you think messaging someone would help you, I say go for it. For me personally, I wouldn't take the time to message anyone because I know they would try to talk me out of it and when I get in my mind I want something, I usually get it. For me, restraining from that binge is the only thing that is going to stop me. And the more I restrain, the stronger I will get.

ugh, this is kind of true for me... I usually don't message someone and tell them about my urges, because I don't want to stop. Sometimes I'm just craving to let loose and believe the binge will help me -- all false, I know!!!

I just really don't like when it happens. I felt like I could conquer the world this morning, and then in the after noon I was craving food again... not for hunger, either.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Ok, I can relate to everything all of you just said.

Yes, I think it really can help! Sometimes, I really do want to be talked out of it and that's when it really is helpful. Sometimes I don't want to, like the binge has already taken over or something and by then not even superman could talk me out of it. That's when I usually isolate, not reach out. Not good.

I asked for numbers from MFP friends a few weeks ago...I have a couple but haven't really used them, we usually just message through MFP and a lot of times it's pretty instant. But I have them when I need them and I'm totally willing to text you if you want. Can't hurt to try, right?

I really try to keep my sugar intake as low as possible too. I'm totally addicted to it. The less I eat of it, the less I crave it. When I eat one of something, I crave more and when I stop, I go through withdrawals. UGH.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Ok, I can relate to everything all of you just said.

Yes, I think it really can help! Sometimes, I really do want to be talked out of it and that's when it really is helpful. Sometimes I don't want to, like the binge has already taken over or something and by then not even superman could talk me out of it. That's when I usually isolate, not reach out. Not good.

I asked for numbers from MFP friends a few weeks ago...I have a couple but haven't really used them, we usually just message through MFP and a lot of times it's pretty instant. But I have them when I need them and I'm totally willing to text you if you want. Can't hurt to try, right?

I really try to keep my sugar intake as low as possible too. I'm totally addicted to it. The less I eat of it, the less I crave it. When I eat one of something, I crave more and when I stop, I go through withdrawals. UGH.

totally agree!! Sometimes you just need someone else other than yourself to point out the obvious, such as 'You've come so far! Are you really going to ruin it now?" "A healthier alternative might save you from the guilt and bloat!" "Think of the calories and money wasted!!! "the horror!!!!"" etc~ Sometimes the 'shame' from speaking about binging can help stop a binge... Of course there are the binges where you just want to do it no matter what and sadly I haven't found a cure too.... Battling binging for years...

Anyhow if you'd like a text buddy i'm game for it :)

And yeah I try to never keep refined sugars at home and even if I binge I try to stay on healthy foods (mostly) and hopefully not resort to buying refined sugars because frankly there is no end to feeling satisfied.. :/