Really frustrated right now.

Options
grover0ca
grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
After 3 years of training in TKD ( I'm the one who shows up to every single class, rain or shine) I still have not increased some of my limited mobility in my hips. Well at least I think it is coming from my hips-maybe I need to focus on something else- I just don't know.

I can't get my hip turned over enough to throw a proper roundhouse..my kicks always come up instead of across. Hopefully that makes sense.

We work on this constantly to try and get some improvement, it is frustrating because I put in the time but my body will not do what my mind is willing it to do. I stretch, I slow my kicks down and we try break them down to try and correct/improve, I have done dry needling, I have done massage. I'm tired of hitting up instead of across & really tired of hitting elbows when I am sparring.

I seriously am at my wits end and don't know what else to try?? it is so frustrating because this should be such a simple kick to do, I watch other people and it drives me nuts that I can not physically do this.

Anyone else in the same boat? What have you done?

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    So while I cant speak to the hip issues, nor can I speak to TKD....I can tell you that when I started Krav Maga and we did roundhouse side kicks...I could not grasp the fact I needed to move my lead leg over....I'd kick and have nearly no power and my kicks would go up...finally (after being told a dozen times) it just clicked...I'd step a decent amount with my lead foot to the side, and it cleared the way for my hip to torque and my body to swing the leg around....I can still remember the first time I landed a proper kick and the sound of the fluff coming out of the bag made me smile.

This was 4 years ago and ever since then I have it ingrained into my skull to step out first.

I'm sure if you have instructors they are telling you to do this already so I doubt that is the issue...but it is what held me back at first.
  • grover0ca
    Options
    I know what you mean..we don't step out but we have to pivot on that foot..I had a really hard time with that to start with (nothing about a roundhouse comes naturally...I'm jealous of you people who do it so easily!! lol) and have improved that part somewhat.

I can only imagine how awesome that must of felt when you nailed it correctly for the first time!
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also have no experience with TKD or a TKD roundhouse (although I do round kicks in kickboxing)

I had a similar issue with my side kicks, I just couldn't get them right - they were low, had no power and I was barely straightening my leg. It was really getting to me as knew I was capable of doing it. One day there were hardly any of us at training so my instructor decided to sort out my problem. It turned out to be a couple of things. The main thing was I wasn't pivoting enough on my foot to turn my hips. I was also wearing trainers (I know this is a huge no-no for alot of people, I never do it when I'm sparring) as soon as I took them off I improved hugely. Lastly, I was over thinking it. When I tried to pull off the side kick on it's own it went wrong more than if I did it as part of a pad drill.

Within an hour I went from throwing barely passable side kicks to head height, strong kicks :smile: The proof is in my profile pic which was taken in that very session. There are problems in that pic, like I'm leaning round because I wanted to see how high I was kicking lol and my elbows are terrible, but my legs look awesome!

So yeah, after that very long winded ramble I think what I'm trying to say is keep with it, you might just realise that there's something you could adjust in your posture or that you feel more comfortable doing a certain way. It might just suddenly click, and just try not to worry about it, it will come!
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel. i did tkd for several years..then life got in the way and i injured my back and put on a ton of weight. any how i got back in to it over a year ago. and i have real issues with side kicks and piercing kicks... round house.. not much i can do bout it right now now..only thing i can think of is to work more on my legs at the gym since i know they are really weak..along with my hips.. and i plan on getting a leg stretching machine... i know those things do wonders. originally i used one all the time and could actually do the splits after some time... so that is what i am going to try for again ..when i have the cash to invest in my own stretcher. other wise i just do the best i can....
  • grover0ca
    Options
    I have been hoping that one day it is just going to click for me..just like your side kick did (it looks pretty awesome in your photo btw!)..I'm not going to give up..willing to try anything to get this right!
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Have you tried positioning your front foot at all, so that your shoulders are turned, which will make you bring that leg over more? What i do, is if i'm doing a left leg roundhouse, i'll start with my right foot aimed in the 1-2 o'clock position and then my shoulders and legs all move together and across. The same goes for a right leg roundhouse. I'll start with my left leg aimed in the 10-11 o' clock position, and then make my turn with the shoulders and legs all in unison. See if that helps......
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Everybody's body is different. You might not be built to easily do a "correct" roudhouse kick. The important thing is to be able to deliver the kick with enough force to make it effective. Form is far less important than results. You need to find the way to deliver the kick so that it works best for you. Maybe you need to pivot more than "normal". Maybe you need to bend sideways and back so your body is parallel to the floor so you're roudhouse is more like a "laying down" front kick. We have several people at my dojo with physical issues, and we work with them to find what is the most effective for them. Good luck!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    This makes me glad that kicks in our style are mostly waist level and below, waist, groin, knees etc. I have ZERO flexion in my hips, and they hurt by the time we're done with class if it's a kicking intense class.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. For me it was something just clicked, purely through practice. Saying that, I'm completely out of practice at the moment having been forced to take a 5month break, so it's frustrating for me not being where I was. But I'm glad to be back
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I began TKD in 1985 and currently teach its kicking principles to the fighters at my current gym. The roundhouse is the hardest kick to teach to anyone who it doesnt come naturally to. (its also the kick i associate with agility and balance when assessing my fighters' mobility.) I will try to break it down to apply to you, even though i havent seen you train. you may be doing some of these things already. WARNING: since this is not live instruction, this will be a long read. im sorry. you can skip me altogether if you want.)

the reason I associate the kick with agility and balance is because, as someone mentioned, foot positions and adustments are being made during the entire technique. because of this, people who have not commited the movements to muscle memory (whether natural or learned) have too much to process to make it fluid. after its broken down, repetition is the answer. (kobe bryante shoots at least 100 jumpshots every day and his field goal average is still only like 45%) repetition repetition repetition. we've had entire classes with nothing but roundhouse drills.

so lets address the hip mobility. what others have said is true. if the lead leg foot position is not correct at the start, major adjustments must be made during the technique and that results in an awkward roundhouse. if your lead foots is facing forward (12oclock) when you start, the hips will not be "open" enough to swing the leg across. this has nothing to do with flexibilty because the foot position issue applies even if you throw a roundhose at knee level. (so lets practice the roundhouse at the knee level until you get it.)

as you begin the motions, the first thing to happen will be the lead foot (lets assume its the left foot in front, right leg in the rear) needs to take a small step from toes facing 12oclock to facing 9oclock. this should open the hips. even without a kick being thrown, bringing the right foot to the left foot is an "across" motion because your lead foot forces your hips to turn and align.

Example: start with feet together facing forward 12oclock. take a step with the left. bringing your right to your left in the next step doesnt change hip position or direction or anything, correct? you merely took a step forward and are still facing forward. thats like a front snap kick. now, start with feet together facing forward 12oclock. take a step with the left, but this time, turn it outward so it faces 9oclock when it lands. now, bringing your right foot to your left in the next step you find that your lead foot position causes you to align your hips and when the step is done you are facing left. this is like a roundhouse....

was this exercise successful? should I save my typing or am i helping even a bit?
  • grover0ca
    Options
    You guys are great..thank you so much for your thoughs and feed back on this,

I am going to take all of this info and continue to try and make adjustments. I know in my mind what I need to do--now I just have to convice my body to do it. I have worked on it so much already and have had so much instruction that I am not giving up now-I have put too much time into this..lol!.

It helps to hear that this is a difficult kick for other people. I was feeling like I should have "gotten" it by now. I guess only time will tell if I can get any better!
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if after 3 years you cannot do a correct roundhouse kick maybe it also has something to do with the instruction you are receiving.
  • grover0ca
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if after 3 years you cannot do a correct roundhouse kick maybe it also has something to do with the instruction you are receiving.

No..that is not it at all... I am the only one who has a problem with nailing it properly. I understand what I need to do & we have a number of instructors who have tried to help me, I just can not execute it properly..unfortunate for me!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Is flexiblity the issue?
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have you consider taping yourself attempting a roundhouse and watch yourself so, you can see if it's something you can tweak or modify. Sometimes seeing it may help more then, just instruction from someone else...
  • grover0ca
    Options
    Is flexiblity the issue?

yes..it is a major issue for me
  • grover0ca
    Options
    Have you consider taping yourself attempting a roundhouse and watch yourself so, you can see if it's something you can tweak or modify. Sometimes seeing it may help more then, just instruction from someone else...

Good idea!
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations. It is good to see such dedicated students such as you who are looking for improvement. Having owned and operated schools for years, just know that students like you are truly a gem.

Now I want you to know that you have everything you need to succeed. The key to anything is breaking it down to its simplest components.

I imagine you can perform a correct front snap kick. It has four parts (knee up, extending the leg top of the foot flat with toes up, retracting it back, and setting it down. A round house is a front snap kick in transition.

When I teach this kick, I teach it with imagery. Imagine your shin or top of the foot is a baseball bat in which you will use to hit your target. That mental image of a person swinging horizontally is the picture I want you to have in your head.

Now the components of the kick...

1) stand in a ready stance, both feet forward like you are walking on a rail road track.
    2) bring kicking leg up to waist height, pivot on the ball of your foot of standing leg where foot is pointing outward 30-60 degrees, allowing the knee to bend slightly
    3) roll the kicking knee over like you were trying to lay the inside of your knee on top of a table
    4) extend the kick focusing to kick the target with the shin or top of the foot
    5) retract the kick
    6) set it back down

You can work up to this and do it more Japanese style by starting in back stance/arrow stance and raise the knee up, pivoting on forward foot, turn the knee over, and extend through the kick

One of the methods to help people to get passed the mental block and to find the proper form for themselves is to place a folding chair in slightly in front and to the side and forcing them to raise the leg up and gliding over the chair towards the target. All of these methods have worked.

However, for speed techniques, being able to throw a round house from a relaxed standing position is much to your advantage. Namely being able to bring the knee up vertically in front of your opponent and throw the kick is less likely to be blocked, is a lot less motion (telegraphing), and allows quicker transition to follow up strikes.

Let me know if this helps or if you need anything else and best of luck to you.
  • grover0ca
    Options
    thx! That is exactly how we break it down but I just have trouble getting my hip/leg turned over in step 3..I alway come up instead of across! Not going to stop trying though!!! Thanks!
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    start practicing kicking at knee shin height and slowly work your way up.