Integrating BMF and MFP

Options
Hi all, What are some suggestions you have about integrating BodyMedia Fit to MFP? Whether it deals with the food log, the activity manager...etc. What do you want to see?

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    It would be great if the workout info could be integrated, and while the food log here is much more expansive, it's not always correct. Would prefer that you just improved the database in bodymedia, truly.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Has everyone tried to link and sync their BMF with MFP? I reported to tech support that the exercise does not appear to be updating properly. Looks like the food is doing OK but exercise definately not. This morning my yesterday's exercise synced, gee would have rather seen it yesterday. What are you finding? Not sure this group is even still active but thought I would give it a try.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I am having a struggle syncing the two. I love the ability to scan bar codes for my food - it's so much easier to log. So MFP definitely beats BMF there. But I too struggle with MFP picking up my exercise recorded from the armband. I wish they had a sync button on either or both programs that you could click to make the programs sync on our time. The sync current seems to be a at whim event of the programs.
  • Kristi_Mitch
    Options
    I posted on the technical board about the sync issues with exercise and haven't heard back. I burned over 3,000 calories yesterday in BM and synced my armband with BM this morning. When I logged into MFP this morning it says I burned 447 yesterday. My calorie deficit in BM was 1400 so I know it's wrong, but I can not figure it out. I like the food logging and services in MFP because it is more of a community than the BM website. I hope they get this fixed soon!
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    so at this stage is it best to just not synch the two?
    I don't log exercise anyway on MFP, use it to log my food, then at a defecit from the daily burn averages my BMF gives me.

Or have the synching issues been sorted now?
  • lisab0864
    Options
    I rarely have a problem w/the two syncing -- usually can sync @BMF and then hop over to MFP and it's there.... 2 nights ago they didn't want to sync but by morning MFP had my BMF adjustment added to it. LOVE the idea about a sync button though!!!
    I'm looking to give up my BMF at the start of the year (tried last year and only made it a month) so I linked them together so I could pick the best settings on MFP to give me the most accurate calorie readings.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Syncs great through USB and computer, sometimes have a temporary issue syncing with the app (may be operator error, LOL)
  • Becky388
    Options
    @Lisa, you know you can't give it up ;) LOL
  • lisab0864
    Options
    @Becky............wouldn't be surprised that I can't do it -- but I'm going to try hard! Hoping that if I can't give it up that I'll have received an email from Basis saying they have their new (watch type) one is back in stock!!! Really tired of the white band on my arm. Kinda tired of the rude comments that I get at times also (don't mind the questions so much).
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    @Becky............wouldn't be surprised that I can't do it -- but I'm going to try hard! Hoping that if I can't give it up that I'll have received an email from Basis saying they have their new (watch type) one is back in stock!!! Really tired of the white band on my arm. Kinda tired of the rude comments that I get at times also (don't mind the questions so much).
    The basis looks great. Be interested in finding out what you think.
  • Becky388
    Options
    Never heard of Basis. Is it as accurate/take as many readings?
  • lisab0864
    Options
    Basis just came out (beginning of month)....... If I get lucky enough to get one -- I'll let you know how it compares to the BMF (I have a years worth of # on my calendar).
  • destack
    destack Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would love to have the option to prevent BMF from dumping exercise calories or 'BMF adjustment' into My Fitness Pal. I like logging my food in MFP, but I don't like that I can't stop the exercise calories from being automatically added (I have fiddled with the 'negative calorie adjustment' checkbox to no avail).

So what I really want is the ability to select 'one-way' sync-- to have the numbers from MFP go into the BMF website, but to prevent BMF from messing with my MFP numbers.
  • vkmcewen
    vkmcewen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A 'sync' button would be fabulous so I could 'push' the info when I wanted it to sync!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I would love to have the option to prevent BMF from dumping exercise calories or 'BMF adjustment' into My Fitness Pal. I like logging my food in MFP, but I don't like that I can't stop the exercise calories from being automatically added (I have fiddled with the 'negative calorie adjustment' checkbox to no avail).

So what I really want is the ability to select 'one-way' sync-- to have the numbers from MFP go into the BMF website, but to prevent BMF from messing with my MFP numbers.

You can go to exercise diary and just delete out the BMF adjustment.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I just started using my BMF again after digging it out of a drawer. I bought it 2 1/2 years ago & wore it for about 2 years, then decided it had given me enough info & just went without it for a while. Then the whole MFP/BMF sync thing happened so I renewed my subscription to give it a try.

Question for all of you, how does the timing of the adjustment work when you sync? I don't have the display, so I had just planned to plug it up to my computer around midnight right before I go to sleep to sync it up. Will the adjustment go on the new day just beginning because that's when it uploaded, or the previous day where it should be? I suppose I'll figure it out either way, but I'm curious.

Would also like to know if any of you import Garmin data to the BMF site, that's new too since I stopped using it. I'll be trying that out this evening.

Thanks in advance!!!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I just started using my BMF again after digging it out of a drawer. I bought it 2 1/2 years ago & wore it for about 2 years, then decided it had given me enough info & just went without it for a while. Then the whole MFP/BMF sync thing happened so I renewed my subscription to give it a try.

Question for all of you, how does the timing of the adjustment work when you sync? I don't have the display, so I had just planned to plug it up to my computer around midnight right before I go to sleep to sync it up. Will the adjustment go on the new day just beginning because that's when it uploaded, or the previous day where it should be? I suppose I'll figure it out either way, but I'm curious.

Would also like to know if any of you import Garmin data to the BMF site, that's new too since I stopped using it. I'll be trying that out this evening.

Thanks in advance!!!

You can sync it when you like- it has a built in clock and knows what was done each day. I sync mine first thing in the morning so I can see the whole of the day begire at 8pm at night so I can see if I have enough calories for a snack.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Adjustments go on the day in which they happen.

I upload data from my Garmin. I never have had issues with it. I read somewhere you shouldn't try to upload heartrate data until after you sync the activity. So I always sync first, then upload the data. Works great.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    @zlauerMom, I did some searching on the web last night looking for more detailed information on the interface between the two, & the Bodymedia site said that HR data uploaded from Garmin is not figured into their calculations at all. It is only uploaded for display & they run the fun charts on the data. As long as you have your HR zones defined the same way they are in Garmin Connect, the data will match & from what I uploaded last night it appears to be true.

I noticed a lag in how the data gets updated between the two sites. BM --> MFP has a delay of a few minutes, not bad, & it seemed to be the same for MFP --> BM, but I made some changes to my food diary for yesterday that still haven't updated on the BM site. It doesn't matter because I track everything in an offline spreadsheet but it would be nice to have BM reflect my actual calorie totals from MFP...since that's what it's supposed to do.

Still...very cool functionality. :smile: