Ladies! What do you do with your hair?!

Options
FTIM2015
FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
So... I'm expecting to end my first tri looking like I have a brillo pad for hair...

My hair is just past my shoulders, layered, feathered at the front, fine, and if left to its own devices, super curly (but it needs cream to stop it turning into frizz!)

Suggestions? What do you do with yours?

Replies

• BrittanyAlexisN
    Options
    I personally braid my hair in two pigtail french braids, but this year will be doing a ponytail braid. I just got a helmet that allows ponytails so I will be doing that since its easier to stuff it under a swim cap than french braids. Either are great choices though.
  • lturner8
    lturner8 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Mine is frizzy and curly, but I've never been able to braid my own hair. It's just shy of shoulder length, and the front pieces don't really fit into a ponytail, so I pull everything into a low messy bun (that I can manage to squeeze through the back of my helmet) and clip and bobby pin the shorter layered pieces as best I can. Swim cap goes over for the swim, helmet goes over for the bike, and for the run I either throw on a baseball cap or a headband to keep the flyaways in check.
  • miss_september
    Options
    I've had longer hair and shoulder length--I do a ponytail under my swim cap, and under my helmet and for the run I normally just do a low pony tail/bun thingy (when hair was longer) and I either wear a bandana covering my head to keep flyways away from my face, or for the last one I bought a super wide headband that says biker chick and wore that =-)

Nobody expects you to look pretty--just figure out what works best for you to keep your hair out of your way =-).
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Long suffering friend has said she'll put it in 2 french braids for me on the friday (tri on the sunday) so hopefully it'll stay put!
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Buzz cut?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I have long, straight hair that comes down to my middle back. I just put it in a ponytail, shove it under my swim cap, then quickly redo the ponytail in transition. Takes about 4 seconds. Throw on a headband right before the run to keep it out of my eyes.

I have very slippery smooth hair so I find that a terrycloth elastic, or one with some grip to it, doesn't slip out.

During a normal run or bike, my hair does sometimes annoy me. During a race, I don't notice it at all...
  • kwajrunner
    kwajrunner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have medium length hair and can't stand wispies blowing around when I exercise. I put my hair in a low ponytail or single braid that will work with my helmet. I also wear a thin skull cap (DeSoto Skin Cooler) under my helmet. This keeps the wispies out of my face as well as keeping my head cool. I wear a cap with a brim and a terry band inside when I run. This keeps the hair under control and soaks up the sweat. Also, if it is really hot you can pour water on your cap to cool you without it running in your eyes.

Good luck with your race!
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder length fine hair and I HATE wispies blowing in my face and making me itchy. I also don't know how to braid my own hair - sad, I know. Anyways, I use a bandanna. Hair is in a low ponytail (so the helmet will sit proper) and after the swim, I pull the bandana over my head, take off the swim cap, then pull the bandana up over my face and poof, all my hair is out of my way. Takes a few extra seconds but since I'm not winning any races yet anyways, it works for me. I may look like a dork, but that hair is not coming out and it also abosorbs the sweat/water/tears so it doesn't run down my face!
  • vegantriathlete
    vegantriathlete Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Long suffering friend has said she'll put it in 2 french braids for me on the friday (tri on the sunday) so hopefully it'll stay put!

Did it work out?
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do a ponytail with a braid. My hair is long and in normal life I dry it straight and use a flat iron. In a triathlon, it looks like crap...and I deal with that.
  • klwtrask
    klwtrask Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My SweatVac visor hides most of the frizziness, but I just throw it back in a ponytail. I braided my hair for the first one, but haven’t cared much since. I have accepted the fact that I will never have a "pretty" race picture. Also, I don't recommend 2 braids...nothing hurts worse than a sun burned head!
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I finally got my hair cut super short so I just slap on a hat for the run. When it was longer, I was also a fan of using a bandana to keep the wispies out of my face. My hair is so straight and heavy, that even when it was long, I could never wear ponytails because the hair always worked its way loose and the weight gave me a headache. Keeping short hair stylish has been so much easier for me that I wish I'd been brave enough to cut it off years ago.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I don't know what these "wispies" are...my hair is wet from the swim and by the time it would dry, it's drenched in sweat, so it is plastered somewhere. I have really long, straight, thick hair. I have always done a low ponytail, but by the time I get to the run, my ponytail seems to split in half and wrap around my neck. I also can't really braid my own hair, but if it's already in a ponytail, I can. So this season I'll put it in a low ponytail then braid it.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    A cap, for longer distances, also allows you to put ice under it and have the ice stay in place until it melts.
  • khlesnick
    khlesnick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have really curly frizzy hair also, but It's not as much of a problem as you'd think. I leave it in a low bun under my swim cap and after pulling off my cap put on my helmet for the bike no problem. I can't stand it low when I run so I grab a headband in T2 and usually readjust it higher as I jog out of transition. Because you're wet, then sweating a lot, and I have a tendancy to pour a little water on my head at stations, it stays wet and not frizzy. My hair curls so much that it curls around my face even when wet, hence the headband, but I can't run in hats, I get way too hot.

Hope the braids worked for you! My hair gets frizzy in braids and gets pulled by my swim cap, plus I've never been able to braid my own well.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas ladies. I'm hoping to do my first sprint in March and that's one of the things on my list to figure out.

My hair is several inches below my shoulder and is thick and heavy. I can't stand to run with a single french braid, it beats me up. I normally run in a high ponytail, which would be fine to stuff under the swim cap but wouldn't work with the bike helmet. I'm not sure how cooperative my hair would be to redo while it's wet. I guess I need to practice with a lower ponytail or maybe two braids to the side. I have actually considered cutting it off for the tri...