Zone Breakfast

Options
What is your normal zone breakfast? 3 blocks of protein, carb, fat seems like a lot for breakfast.

Replies

• cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My regular breakfast is a smoothy that I make at home. I blend 1 cup frozen strawberries with 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt, 2 tsp olive oil, and a block's worth of plain or vanilla protein powder. It fills me up pretty well until lunch time.

If you can't eat 3 blocks for breakfast, no worries! Just eat 2 blocks and then you can have a mid-morning snack!
  • prattep
    prattep Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My son (13yo) and I both eat the Apple Pie Spiced Oatmeal from the classic recipies: http://www.zonediet.com/0/zonediet/plans/zone-classic-recipes/zone-classic-recipe-detail/itemid/1703
    It's a 4 block serving, and he normally eats a 3 block meal, but he has a long span between breakfast and lunch, so it works for him.
    Also, I can make it the night before, and save the leftover portions for subsequent mornings. Last time, I made a double batch, and it was enough to last a week. I just added the overnight (steel-cut) oats recipe to MFP. (The original calls for stevia, but I prefer splenda in mine)

Other days, I make myself an egg white scramble with olive oil and lots of fresh veggies. The scramble is my favorite, but you can't beat the simplicity and convenience of the oatmeal.

Hope this helps!

Eric
  • sara0143
    sara0143 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks Eric
    I eat oatmeal almost everyday, I've been working on converting it to zone friendly, so the apple pie oatmeal is perfect. Any suggestions on protein powders.
    Sara
  • prattep
    prattep Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use Meijer (generic) vanilla 100% Whey protein powder, but we just got a Sam's club membership, and they have many others to choose from. We go through a lot of it, and it has a long shelf life, so I might go for a larger package from there. There was one with Jillian Michaels on it - it was the cheapest per oz.
    Eric
  • jlcuster
    Options
    This week I'm eating 3 Blocks of what I call "Zone Migas". Think of them as breakfast tacos in a bowl. Delicious! Next week I'll be pushing up to 4 Blocks though a different meal. I'm a big guy and I love breakfast so 3 - 4 Blocks in pretty reasonable for me. If the number of Blocks for breakfast seems too much for you, try shaving 1 off and having a 1-Block mid-morning snack. There's no reason you can't eat more than 5 times a day, it just makes planning harder.
  • kcowart
    Options
    3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1 1/2 cups blueberries
    9 almonds

I use frozen blueberries. Then, I can measure out 5 meals on Sunday nights and grab and go in the mornings. This is a 3 block meal.
  • beccabeccac
    beccabeccac Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is about 3 - 3.5 blocks since I usually only do about a 2 block lunch (I'm not as hungry mid-day). I make an omelette using one whole egg and 2 egg whites, a bit of butter in the pan, a handful of kale, and a sprinkling of parmesan or cheddar cheese. On the side I'll either do a slice of whole grain bread with jam, or fresh fruit like cantaloupe, pineapple, or grapes.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    This seems to have lost interest
  • maryyouwin22
    maryyouwin22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any 3 block breakfast paleo suggestions (specifically no cheese, dairy, or grains)?