New to lifting and the gym questions

Options
bcl003
bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
Who works out at the gym?? I am unsure of doing the workout at the gym because of needing the step with dumbbells and the ball for the prone jackknife, do you bring these items into the weight room?? I don't think the dumbbells are allowed out of the weight room, except for the barbie ones lol!! So how do you do this and just keep the rest to 60 seconds? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am really clueless and don't want to step on any toes or make the gym mad at me.

Replies

• SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would just go to where the ball was and do my prone jackknife/crunches there. As for the weights and steps, you could do your step ups on a bench in the weight room.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There are usually one or two balls floating around my weight room. Many people use them for a variety of exercises. If there's not one, you can take one in and use it during your workout and then return it when you're finished.

As for the step, I use a weight bench for the exercises that require a high step (step-ups, Bulgarian split squats). For the lower step, once again, there are usually one or two aerobics-type steps with risers in my weight room. Again, lifters use them for all kinds of things.

When I first started lifting, I would have felt very uncomfortable requesting this equipment from staff or bringing it into the weight area, but now that I've been working out in the free weight area for a while, I realize that nothing that I do is crazy or radical, and that lifters do all kinds of bizarre looking stuff when they're working out. I love watching other people lift because there are so many different combinations of lifts and body weight exercises that are out there.

The rule in the weight room at my gym seems to be, "Do whatever you want with the equipment you need, so long as you're not deliberately or rudely interfering with someone else. Put things back where you found them when you're done." I've found that most of the regular weight lifters at my gym are very nice and nonjudgemental.

If your gym doesn't have what you want or need, ask the staff to get it for you.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I agree with MyOwnSunshine. At my gym, you never necessarily know what equipment you might find in the weight room. Most likely- if you want to take the dumbells to where the stability ball or steps are, no one is going to yell at you... or probably say anything. Just make sure you return the weights to their rightful place. (Otherwise- someone might start yelling!)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Agreed. For a higher step option I use a bench at one of the gyms I work out in (the other gym has platforms), and for a lower step option they have a lower step at both gyms. if they don't have a lower step you can always request to borrow one from another area of the gym (like the cardio area), the worst thing they can say is no. I'd be surprised if there are no swiss balls anywhere near the weight room, they have so many funcitons that it seems to me they've pretty much become standard equipment.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    my gym has swiss balls and steps IN the weight room but if yours doesn't i'm sure it's okay to take them where you need to use them. as long as you put things back where they belong no one should have a problem!