new

Options
I am new to the group, to my fitness pal, and new to fibromyalgia. I am trying to excerise to stay off the heavy meds. have any of you found an exercise that works better than another. today is my day 1 and i am hoping to take all this one day at a time but improve things and not look back. any help appreciated

Replies

• desda
    desda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The best exercise I have found is swimming ..light elliptical is all right, too. Minimize long walks.They seem to stress the hip joints. Of course this all depends on your trigger points. Best of luck with mfp.
  • quiescentaureateserpent
    Options
    Walking has always helped me. I can walk for miles and the pain seems to become more distant for me. At first it was hard but I can walk quite a distance now. All I do for exercise are three things. One I walk. Two I clean the house and do it for what time I can and log it here. Three I enjoy time with my husband and that is exercise. ^.^ good luck.
  • tazzy_toon
    tazzy_toon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I find as long as the exercise is light, i can do most things. I love walking, but find if i walk 2 days in a row, by the 3rd day i'm wiped. Trying to find the balance is the hardest for me. Best of luck to you. Add me as a friend if you'd like :D
  • pidnit
    pidnit Posts: 11
    Options
    I have found that elliptical, stationery bike, treadmill, and walking are good in moderation. My favorite exercise is swimming and aqua therapy. Check with your local pool or recreation program to see where they are offered. Or, even the local retirement village may offer something if they have a pool (and you don't have to be old) I had fibromyalgia before it was given a name and I have found that I must keep moving. Laying around feeling sorry for myself doesn't help but cleaning the house from top to bottom in one day isn't a wise move either. The key is to find what works for you and push your limits gradually.
  • shreck05
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to this site and group also. I have just joined and after looking through the posts I am disappointed how little everyone post. :ohwell: I was looking for everyday support. I'm 39yo married 11 years with 4 children. I have a 19yo son and a 19yo step son, 10 yo daughter, and another 7 yo son. I was diagnosed with FM March 2011. I quit working May 2011 due to this horrible disease. I am coping better with some meds but the depression is getting the best of me. I need to lose 150#s. I was working out regularly 3-4 times a week but my pain seemed to get worse. My feet and hips the most. I loved zumba but my body hated it. :sad: I do love this site for tracking my food. The food diary is helping me as I am dedicated to watch what I put in my stomach since my body won't let me exercise. I hope to find more friends on this group or other groups with this same disease who can relate. Wishing everyone good health. :flowerforyou:
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined this group in hopes that others who have this debilitating disease Fibro..I also have Chronic Fatigue; Chronic Pain; Osteoarthritis; the pain can wipe me out and I find the weather has an effect on it. I gave in to not working 5 years ago...it became overwhelming on the days when the pain was high and hurt me physically and very much mentally.At that time I was also anorexic...the strain of trying to work thru the pain and going thru a lot of mental issues, my Dr put me off work.
    Now 5 years and a lot of pounds later I am struggling thru the pain again while I try to lose the lbs...my husband worried that I will resort back to the anorexic again, so this makes it hard to diet. But I need to get this weight off and doing nothing won't help.
    As far as exercising I happened upon a great workout CD * Leslie Sansone* All you do is walk..there are different types of walking, I do the easy one of walking for 15minutes, that gives you a 1 mile..there are 2,3 and so on miles. It is something I can do anytime..at my pace..and the weather doesn't effect it.
    I hope you all are having a pain*less* day.