Light Bulb Moment

Options
lissa0040
lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
For 20 points or just for the heck of it. Describe the moment when you realized it was time to get it together and start your weight loss journey.

Replies

• roundtherink
    Options
    I knew I was getting close to it for a few months, but I spent a weekend with the girls in August, and when I uploaded the pictures, I was horrified at how I looked. I looked swollen and bloated. My skin looked oily, my hair looked limp, and I was wearing an outfit that was stretched to the breaking point. I was mortified- esp. when one of the girls had a few of the same group pictures, and used one as her cover photo on Facebook!
    It was a Sunday night, and on Monday morning, I began a new lifestyle.
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time getting to sleep at night. I was having a hard time doing anything active! Going to the grocery store, walking across a busy parking lot, going anywhere I might have to walk for ANY length of time felt like a gigantic chore. My husband asked me to go on a walk with him and I said no thanks. He said "I don't understand why walking is a big deal! Everyone can walk.." And I thought about how NOT true it was for me at that time. My back and feet always ached and I was always tired. I realized that I had the body of an 80 yr old woman. Then I realized that if I don't do something about it I would not live to be 80 some day. So I didn't have a moment. I had a series of moments leading into a big revelation that I needed to take action no matter how small. Something had to change.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Pretty much May 11th of this year.
    Got Dx'd with Type 2
    Technically knew I needed to do something weight wise but if your head isn't there, it's not going to work. Been there, done that.
    Joined this site to track on June 7th.
    Many NSVs and down nearly 60 lbs and what really blows my mind, is how easy it is this time around. Guess better mind set than in past years when I made half a**ed attempts at losing the weight.
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have always been overweight, my entire life. I have tried every kind of diet known to mankind! I had a light bulb moment when hubby and I went to a phish concert and between the loooong walk, the hot day and lack of water I had heat stroke...that was scAry! and totally brought on by my weight and not being able to get around. I lost some weight, about 75 pounds then I quit smoking and gained it all back plus.
    THIS time I am still not smoking and so tired of not being able to do things. My knee hurts constantly and I was tired of getting out of breath just walking a few blocks. Like Melissa I saw that what others take for granted, being able to walk, is not so easy for me. And I am DETERMINED to not have to ride a scooter around the grocery store---not me, no way, not ever~ but that is going to take some work. But I am determined! I like how this feels and I am encouraged to keep going.
  • sarita66
    sarita66 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Boy, I can't believe it is coming up on a year, but that was my light bulb moment. Last year at my physical, my doctor recommended by-pass surgery. She thought I was a good candidate because overall I was in good health. It scared the daylights out of me. I signed up for an informational session at our local hospital. The procedure itself was overwhelming to me. I had never had surgery and the thought of going under the knife for losing weight was just too crazy. That was when I started to make changes. I joined a gym, signed up with a trainer, and joined MFP. My best friend was great at helping me prepare better meals, since I am a lousy cook. I started the changes the first of February 2012. I have now lost 38 pounds since MFP but total of 48 pounds. I was actually too embarrassed to put my actual weight down, I know it has been slow with many ups and downs, but it is working. I still have a long way to go but I am determined to get there.
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    when i found out i was going to be a nana for the first time...............
  • KrnDrln
    Options
    My family has a history of Diabetes and when my sugar tested 117, borderline Diabetic, I decided I needed to change my ways.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I was diagnosed with High blood pressure and although my doctor told me it was most likely stress induced (job loss) I knew that the extra weight I was carrying wasn't going to help the situation. I knew I needed to make a change.