Working out

Options
Does anyone else find that doing your usual work out at that time of the month is approximately 10 x harder than normal?

Or am I just being a sissy? :P

Got any tips on how to push through that last 10 minutes? Or suggestions on making the whole work out easier?

Replies

• spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    OMG yes! I have zero energy and my whinge-o-meter goes into over-drive! haha

I still work-out but end up doing it at about 60% instead of the usual 90-100% effort :yawn:
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It's the hardest time for me to get motivated, but apparently the best time to workout according to my pt...

I find that I can't give 100% effort but just do what I can & figure it's better then nothing at all!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Thank God for this group! I have been feeling super duper sluggish lately. Two of my, 'I'm gonna tear it up today' gym days turned into, 'I'll do it tomorrow''s. It's torture! Pure torture, I tells ya!

When I do make it to the gym it's still awful though. Maybe I'm the only one who endures this, but during TOM, my sense of smell is heightened. Being in a gym surrounded by sweaty bodies with a heightened sense of smell? No bueno.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm the only one who endures this, but during TOM, my sense of smell is heightened. Being in a gym surrounded by sweaty bodies with a heightened sense of smell? No bueno.

ERGH! Gross!! Yeah I'd just go outside for a walk or something safe :P

I noticed this morning I put in 100% effort but only got 3/4 of the way through my work out before my "eh, stuff it" attitude took over. Maybe just going for good walks is not such a bad idea at TOTM... y'know if I can stand up straight :P
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Yeah, during TOM I probably wont be doing any Rocky Balboa-esque working out, but I found that doing something both, 1. Keeps the cramps at bay....SOME. And 2., They help me focus on not eating anything made remotely out of chocolate...Or at least it gives me the macros to actually indulge in the things I crave.

I guess another runner up option would be that it also takes the mind away from attacking the people you know and love who can reeeeeeally get under the skin at this point.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yeah, during TOM I probably wont be doing any Rocky Balboa-esque working out, but I found that doing something both, 1. Keeps the cramps at bay....SOME. And 2., They help me focus on not eating anything made remotely out of chocolate...Or at least it gives me the macros to actually indulge in the things I crave.

I guess another runner up option would be that it also takes the mind away from attacking the people you know and love who can reeeeeeally get under the skin at this point.

^^^ yes!
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the group but couldnt resist. This is my TOTM, which has dribbled on for 10 days. Started my week off with some exercising, but am finding it hard to get motivated to do any more. Am thinking if I put my computer down and get off by butt.....Ah well!

Looking forward to talking with you all.
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    I got my TOM on Monday of this week and only found myself working out once. I'm wondering if its just more than PMS? I'm irritable, *****y, and just want to be left alone. It takes over 1800mg of a pain reliever to dull the cramps.

Oh and that saying that working out decreases the severity of cramps? Not for me! After an hour on the treadmill on Tuesday, my cramps were intensified to the point where i could almost pass out!

Anyone else like this too?
  • leylabot
    leylabot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I generally want to climb onto the elliptical and pass out while I do my exercise, so yes. It does suck.
  • shaleasymphony
    shaleasymphony Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Its my totm right now. I'm on day 2 (started last night) I'm someone with a very heavy flow and horrible cramps that double me over. What are some exercises that you recommend doing? I feel absolutely gross but I don't want that to stop me from exercising. (Please nothing that involves kicking/spreading my lesg!!!)
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    errr noticed the first sign of pms last night when I had to restrain myself from going crazy at my partner for not responding to a statement i made... in another room... not really directed at him anyway.

Then this morning... dragged my a** outta bed and took me 20 mintues to put my 30DS dvd on... about 5 mintues into circuit one I was thinking naaaahh cbf... but I pushed through..

10 minutes later I was laying on my bed watching the dvd thinking... this better work :P

I guess its gonna be awalking week for me!
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    errr noticed the first sign of pms last night when I had to restrain myself from going crazy at my partner for not responding to a statement i made... in another room... not really directed at him anyway.

Then this morning... dragged my a** outta bed and took me 20 mintues to put my 30DS dvd on... about 5 mintues into circuit one I was thinking naaaahh cbf... but I pushed through..

10 minutes later I was laying on my bed watching the dvd thinking... this better work :P

I guess its gonna be awalking week for me!

It's awful isnt it when the motivation is just not there. I am 'due' to start 30DS this week, have looked at the level one and it seems very do-able. Today maybe.............. Walking sounds good tho, there and back and lets see how far.

Good luck with yours
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have been doing MFP since July and I still can NOT make myself work out when I am having PMS. I turn into a totally different person and never seem to even recognize it until it actually starts, then I just feel like crap for at least 3 days. It was all I could do to make myself go to the grocery store yesterday.
  • Cori_Mac
    Cori_Mac Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am soooo happy to have found this group.

I have zero energy to exercise. I pushed through a tough workout the other day (two days before I started my cycle) and am still sore. Today I feel zapped. No cravings, really, although I did indulge in some lemon cookies last night.

I may fight through a short aerobics video today just to keep things circulating... if my intestinal system allows for any jumping around, that is. (Yuck.)