Recipes

Options
Hi all~ I thought it might be fun to share some of our yummy, low fat recipes with each other. I like looking at others diaries to give me ideas (I tend to get into ruts where I eat the same thing over and over), and I am always happy to share any recipe with anyone. I consider myself a true 'foodie' and love to cook. I've also found that since I make most things homemade, staying on track has been a lot easier.

Here's a good chili recipe for the slow cooker. This is enough for 8 servings (it also freezes well). I plugged the recipe into the recipe section here, and it comes to just 276 calories/13g fat/ 348g sodium per serving (depending on what brands you use). Enjoy!!

~2 # GROUND BEEF
~1 LG ONION, DICED
~28 OZ CAN DICED TOMATOES
~2 8 OZ CANS TOMATO PUREE
~1 (OR 2) 16 OZ CANS KIDNEY BEANS-UNDRAINED
~4 OZ CAN DICED GREEN CHILIES
~1 C WATER
~2 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
~2 TBSP MILD CHILI POWDER
~2 tsp SALT (I use the Morton's lite salt)
~2 tsp GROUND CUMIN
~1 tsp PEPPER
Brown the beef and onion, drain, put in slow cooker.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook on HIGH 30 min.
Set to lLow and allow to cook 4-6 hrs.

If I am heading out, I will just put the slow cooker on low and allow it to cook for longer, @8 hrs.

Replies

• alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    thank you! Isn't this perfect chili weather?!?!?
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    not sure if we are supposed to mention other sites here...I wont link it but if you go to Skinnytaste.....omg her recipes are soooo good!! Ive tried
    jalapano chicken
    lasagne rolls
    beef barley soup
    crockpot santa fe chicken to name a few...
    my dds have made lots of her muffins/desserts and love them

a quick and easy go to meal I prepare and love is

cut up chicken breasts (usuallly 3)
    brown in a non stick pan with pam
    add about 1/2 bottle of light italian dressing from Kraft smalller bottle

I cook it unitl its reduced about half...serve with a salad YUMMMM

another quick and easy meal is to take some fat free plain yogurt and drain it thru a coffee filter overnight in fridge..this makes yocheese
    to this the next day add one minced crushed garlic clove, some dried dill, and some grated cucumber that the waster has been squeezed out
    mix all together and use for taziki.........mmmmmmmmm
    I put this on potatoes or take a pita and add some salad, chicken and taziki sauce yummmo
  • roundtherink
    Options
    That sounds really good! I'll also check out those other sites.

I got a recipe a few years ago that is very similar to that chicken/Italian dressing one. It;s also super easy and takes very little time to prepare.

One-Pan Chicken Bake
    I package boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Kraft fat free zesty Italian dressing
    Parmesan cheese
    red potatoes

In a 9x13 baking dish, place the chicken in the center. Cut red potatoes into cubes and surround chicken. Pour dressing over all, and sprinkle with parmesan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Edited to add: You can also use the bone in chicken...
  • roundtherink
    Options
    LOVE this one....in fact, I now prefer this to fast food fries. :)

Fat-Free French Fries

1 medium baking potato
    2 egg whites
    Mrs Dash salt free table seasoning (or- try the Mrs Dash salt free southwest chipolte if you like things spicier!)

Scramble egg whites and seasoning together.
    Cut potato into thin wedges (not too thin though, or they will burn)

Coat potatoes with egg white mixture and place on a baking sheet generously sprayed with PAM.
    Bake at 350 for 15 mins, turn potatoes over, bake an additional 15 mins.

The egg whites allow the fries to get nice and crispy, the seasoning adds great flavour, and by using the salt free version, you keep the sodium levels down.

If your oven has a convection bake setting, use that!
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    totally trying that fry one! I just cannot bring myself to try the squash or turnip fries you see out there----I like me some taters!
  • roundtherink
    Options
    I think you'll like this. The hardest part (for me) was figuring out the thickness/time baked thing. It might take a couple trys to get it exactly how you like them, but totally worth it!
  • squeekersmom
    Options
    ok this is funny.............egg whites was my moms trick to making oven fries yearssssssssssss ago.......loved them then and still do!!!

going to try the new chicken recipe with the potatos thanks Roundtherink!!
  • squeekersmom
    Options
    another quick side dish is baked onion rings or zuchinni sticks
    using panko crumbs I add some seasonigs to the crumbs,,,slice the onions into rings or zuchinni into sticks,,,dip into egg whites then dip in panko crumbs..........place on a baking sheet ,,,,,,,,,,,spray with Pam ,,,,,,,,bake at 350 for about 30 ins??? serve with light ranch dressing

now these arnt trueeeeeee onion rings but gives you the taste of them just not the texture...the zuchinni sticks are true to original ones though even my dh eats them

i just saw an idea where you take cheese strings and cut them and do the same treatment with panko crumbs and bake away...cheese sticks!
  • roundtherink
    Options
    Made this for the first time tonight. it was so delicious I had to share. :) Got the recipe in Southern Living magazine.

Edamame Succotash
    Heat 1 tbsp EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 diced medium white onion, and saute until onion becomes translucent and brown (about 5-10 mins).
    Add 1 minced garlic clove (I used 1 tsp minced garlic) and 4 cups frozen corn, and saute until corn is bright and tender (5-10 mins). Add 1 1/2 cups frozen edamame, 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp turmeric, and 3/4 tsp sea salt. Cook until the corn begins to caramelize, then add 2 tbsp water and cook 5-10 mins more.
    Remove mixture from heat. Add juice from 1 lemon and 1 tbsp butter. Garnish with chopped scallions. Serves 6.