New to the group...looking for horse show folks

Options
meangreen11
meangreen11 Posts: 42 Member
51 year old 5'4" female with 12 down and 7 more to go to my 125 pound goal. I show appaloosas at the world and national level and am looking for others who show same (showmanship, horsemanship, western pleasure, trail, hunter under saddle equitation).

Currently on Level 2 of 30DS and alternating with treadmill with incline.

Would love to hear of others who juggle riding competitively with working out!

Replies

• Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a horse show folk, but English stuff...eventing, jumpers, sometimes hunters and equitation. I've actually concentrated on my non-riding fitness this summer. I've still been riding but my boy gets a break from showing the hottest part of the year. I'm hoping the hours on the treadmill and in the weight room will help me out in next month when we pick up with the fall competition schedule. And actually, horsie is going to dressage boot camp with the trainer for the next two weeks, so I'll really have some time to hit the gym! I'm sure once he comes back I'll be putting more time into HIS fitness and sacrificing some of my gym time. It's definitely a balancing act. I will try to keep up with lifting weights especially because I think that is super helpful for my riding fitness.
  • meangreen11
    meangreen11 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I miss riding English. :-( My novice show horse was an all-around and I did both western and english equitation on him. My junior horse is only 15.1 or 15.2 so I am done with English unless i get a second horse. Preparing for my big shows for the equitation was such good exercise. I always rode bareback and practiced by two points and posting.

I haven't started weights yet...but I did by the NROLFW book. I have almost made it through the introduction. I am on Level 2 of 30DS and can honestly saw it is an awesome core workout and has helped me get my posture back for showing.

My show horse stays with the trainer right now as he is only a four year old. I do have my games (barrels and poles) horse home with me as he is older and doesn't need much tuning.

Thanks for responding. Sometimes I post and all I hear is chirp/chirp. LOL
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I sent a friend request :) Let me know how you like NROLFW. I just do weight machines at the gym but I'm sure I could be going about this a better way.
  • Polydor
    Options
    Hey there

I used to show showmanship and horsemanship and on a palamino appaloosa mare back in my high school days and only on a local level ( she did national/worlds at one point in her career).

I don't have the problem with juggling riding but do have to convince myself to go running after a long day outside at the farm since I work as a broodmare manager at a TB stud farm. So don't really have access to a gym but do have a trainer I meet once a week and hopefully upping it to twice a week soon to do circuits and weights. With inculding my running 5 days a week and biking once or twice a week.

I'm about to do my first 12Km run tomorrow morning. And have already started looking for my next race to train for. Also looking at doing a bike race to change it up a bit!

Would love to see pics of your appy too!

P.
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I only show at B grade shows for a bit of fun, but I love doing all the prep.
    My filly had her first Western Show this past October, but I've been showing my Gelding fairly regularly for the past 3 years at low levels, he doesn't really have the potential to go any further than that. I'd like to get my Filly into Open competition eventually though :)

PA210010.jpg

If i ride during the day I usually make time at night to do a work out, or maybe run a few laps of the paddock lol
    My horses give me a pretty good work out though.
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, another Appaloosa lover! Me too!
    I have over 3500 hours in the Appaloosa frequent rider program... my mare is now 30 years old! Now I am only using her
    as a couch, occasionally... she will be with me forever!

Currently I also have a half-arab/half foxtrotter who I'm planning onshowing Hunter Under Saddle this next year - our first show is just a few weeks away at the end of January! I also drive an adorable pony every week, and am attempting to get my other crazy AY-RAB going in harness too... On top of that, working with a personal trainer at a gym to lose weight & retain flexability, SO I CAN RIDE MORE! Yeah!

Good Luck with your Showing Goals & LOVE the fact that we're riding SPOTTED horses too!
    :) J
  • Myrabeau
    Options
    Hello Group, I am 54 and have had horses since kindergarden graduation. Currently have a quarter horse gelding and a warmblood mare. I ride english and am just getting back into it as I was way too heavy to ride for about 10 years. Started taking lessons again and hopefully will be trying out a show or two in the spring.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    Before we moved from Mississippi... I can't remember a year my family and I didn't go to world in halter with both paints and qh's.
    Sold everything before we moved and headed to Texas.

Now I'm into barrel racing and SHOT shows. Much more laid back and not nearly the politics and BS...