Just Getting Started

Options
ELCABRA
ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
Hey fellas I have come to the dark-side and taken the plunge into the world of the 5x5. I Am picking up a squat rack this evening and completing my weight collection tomorrow so I will be all in. I wanted to see if there was any advice you fellows could offer so I start of on the right track

Thanx!!!

Replies

• AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Can't add any advice as I'm just getting started myself. Will be very interested to hear what everyone else has to say.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome Guys, It's a good program.
  • snoopy7501
    snoopy7501 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My advice: In the beginning of the program, while the weights are light, work hard on perfecting your form. Learn all you can in the SL report, Rippetoe books, YouTube videos, and the bodybuilding.com forums about how to correctly do the lifts. If possible, have a buddy watch you and correct you if needed. If your form is off even a little, it will give you problems when the weights get heavier. Don't push yourself too hard, and have fun!
  • Saunz5
    Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Snoopy said!!! :o) Video tape yourself too if you can!
  • stlhrs
    stlhrs Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My advice: In the beginning of the program, while the weights are light, work hard on perfecting your form. Learn all you can in the SL report, Rippetoe books, YouTube videos, and the bodybuilding.com forums about how to correctly do the lifts. If possible, have a buddy watch you and correct you if needed. If your form is off even a little, it will give you problems when the weights get heavier. Don't push yourself too hard, and have fun!

^^ This.

With starting light you'll be very tempted to add weight early. But don't. With these types of lifts you really need to perfect form to avoid injury and stalls later. At first it didn't feel like a workout but it quickly got tough. If you need something extra during the first few weeks do some pullups, chinups, etc as assistance exercises.

Rippetoe videos on YouTube are excellent for learning form and technique. Especially squat, press, deadlift, and row (bench is pretty standard). The rows are actually Pendlay rows (vs other row styles).

Welcome and good luck.