The 'herbal pharmacist' doesn't seem to be a nut after all!

Options
This is a bit of a long winded post, but the gist is that I found something that is really improving my acne and hair loss!!

I'm an American living in Germany, and there are definitely some cultural differences between the USA and Europe when it comes to medicine. In the USA, we have a reputation for handing out prescription drugs like candy. Germany is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, sometimes to the point of frustration. You have to go through the pharmacist to get any OTC drug besides vitamins, and they can choose not to give you anything. One time I got denied basic cold medicine for my husband because they could not examine him in person!

The Germans are much more into natural medicine than we Americans tend to be. I have to admit that I've always been a little bit skeptical about drinking tea to cure ailments, or getting accupuncture, etc. But, they may make a believer of me yet!

I have PCOS with severe androgen symptoms like acne and hair loss. But, I don't seem to have insulin resistance (yay!) and I'm not overweight. So, I'm a good candidate for testing out non-prescription treatments.

A friend told me about this "herbal pharmacist" she knew of, who had a shop out in the middle of nowhere. I thought it was kooky, but his shop was beautiful, with huge bags of fragrant herbs everywhere. I walked in, and the man immediately started explaining my problems to me- I hadn't told him about my condition- and he knew everything about my hormone imbalances, just from looking at my face!! He mixed me up some tea called "hautfunktionstee"- translates to skin function tea. It's to improve skin metabolism.

Even though I was impressed with his ability to read my medical history from my face alone, I didn't put much hope into this tea. It's just tea.

Well, after 2 weeks of 2 cups a day of this stuff, I actually am really noticing improvement! I held off making any changes to my diet for now so I would be able to tell if it was the tea that is helping. I'm really excited!

I'm going to try to find out what he put in this witches' brew, so stay tuned!

Replies

• dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wow.. Interesting.
    Isn't there an ingredientslist (Zutaten) on the tea?
    Enjoy your tea ;-)
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    No, unfortunately no ingredients list... This guy literally grabs a brown paper bag and a scoop and mixes things up himself! The tea tastes a little odd... Not minty or fruity... More savory, almost like broth. I think there might actually be spices in addition to herbs.

I tried to find info online about tea to improve skin metabolism, and it's petty much nonexistent (in English anyway). Ayurvedic medicine may have some answers. Next time I go I'll ask him what's in it.
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Please post your findings! I'm a big believer in diet, herbs, and natural supplements to treat things like PCOS!
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I got today a new tincture of Helianthus Tuberosus (basically topinambur) which is supposed to balance out insulin levels. I will keep you updated about my experiences!