More goood News (inc Pics)

Options
BigG59
BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
I am in such a good mood today, just come off the phone with my Dr and my HbA1C is now 5.7%. I was diagnosed in July when it was 9.6% got it down to 7.2% by September and now down to 5.7%. All though diet and exercise.

Plus my blood pressure which was 159/89 is now 120/74 my siting heart rate is 55.

And at today's weigh-in I was 208lbs so I am no longer Obese. Just overweight :)

All though losing weight and exercise - lots of exercise.

I am convinced I would not have achieved these results without the help of MFP, I track all my food, even on bad days, I keep my carbs to between 40% and 50% of my daily intake (~160g). The big sacrifice was to stop drinking beer. I have not had a beer now in 4 months, though I do drink red wine and the odd Vodka. I find I enjoy food more as I am eating less, I search out quality.

So thank for allowing me to brag a little bit, hopefully this can be motivational for others. I sure did find it motivational when others posted their results.

Here is me at 40lbs loss a couple of weeks ago:

[img][/img]8216089491_9485362be4.jpg
Before After Nov 2012 by Big Gs, on Flickr

Replies

• mluanne33
    mluanne33 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    AWESOME !!!!!! What a great victory..you should be very proud :) You look super..keep up the good work.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You look great... younger and healthier.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!! Incredibly awesome!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    BigG59,

You are a hero and a roll model for all of us fat boys. To me, getting those type of numbers, your A1c and BP, are even more important than the pounds lost number, because it means HEALTH! Those are the quantifiable things. Think about all the good things that are happening within your body that you do not see. Live a long happy life!

Chuck
  • Sachiel_777
    Sachiel_777 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    excellent !
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you!! You've really worked hard for your results and earned all of it!! It IS motivating for us to know about that. You are doing such a great job of it ALL the time. You look wonderful too!
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Great to brag when you have accomplished what you have! Keep it up!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Look at you!!!! Awesome progress on the outside and the inside - big congratulations!
  • BigG59
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words everyone.

I celebrated by getting the bike out and didn't mind even when it started to snow. Mind you 30 minutes was enough.

Goals One and half of Goal two achieved (see my profile), I was asked at the gym tonight what my next goals were. Definitely to get under 200lbs by my birthday in Feb. I have the 54 mile 24 hour hike next June, so need to get super fit for that and a friend has suggested entering a 5K race in the spring - oh and to keep my A1C below 6.0%.

But you know what the best comment was, it was from my wife, she said, "I can get my arms all the ay round you now" LOL
  • clarafitnesspal
    clarafitnesspal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wow! great job, and your info and pics are a motivator for me. keep up the great work, and congrats!! i hope to be able to post a succsess post like you in the future.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    WOW! you look fantastic! Well done!... Congrats!!! :drinker: (BTW I'm cheering you with water..lol)
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Excellent job, and great results. Well done. Thanks for sharing your journey.
  • Hooha2thebeach
    Options
    Well done! Congratulations on an awesome effort :-)
  • wcucats77
    Options
    WOW!!!! Congratulations! The results speak for themselves and the effort and discipline is the reason for the great results. Now go out and celebrate with a couple of odd vodkas.
  • BigG59
    Options
    When I got my results last week, I could not see the Dr as he was on holiday. I had to wait till today for my official notification.

Today he said that he will do one more test in three months and if that is at the same level, he will take me off the diabetic register.
  • veronica1359
    veronica1359 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for your determination...Continuing your diet and activities soon your will be off this list. :flowerforyou:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You deserve bragging rights....you look terrific! Congratulations!
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a job well done!
  • tkgraham
    Options
    I am SO happy to hear that it's possible. I was diagnosed in September and chose to do it all through diet and exercise also. I have my first follow up appointment in a couple of weeks and have already lost 33 pounds. Can't wait to hear. I do know that 1)I still have a ways to go before I officially lose the diagnosis and 2)It's a lifetime journey. But I already feel so much better and am so proud of myself. Your story helps me confirm my decision to tackle this solely through diet and exercise.
  • BigG59
    Options
    Thanks again for the positive comments, everyone.

To "tkgraham", it is definitely possible to get your A1C down, plenty on this board have done it, but it doesn't mean I am "cured". Good luck on your results, losing the weight you have will certainly have helped reduce your insulin resistance.

As for the level of exercise - I now work out everyday. Initially at the start back in August, I stared off with light exercise and gradually built it up. So that now I do some form of cardio exercise every day (+/- 60mins), my warm up three nights a week is 2.5 mile run on the machine in the gym. At weekends I am now also cycling on the road. I am just back in from a 30km ride and so pleased as I shaved 20 minutes of my time.