Best shoes for lifting?

Options
d1haj
d1haj Posts: 9 Member
Hi there. Looking for the wisdom of crowds - what are the best shoes for lifting. I currently use flat converse. Has been suggested to me to try Vivo Barefoot or Vibram Five Fingers. Anyone else use either of them for squatting and deadlifting? Thanks, Heather

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I use converse and I love them. Why do you think you need to change?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Converse are perfect, no need to change.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I use Converse too. Why did someone suggest you change shoes?
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I use my olympic lifting shoes for squats, I have Ristos. I deadlift barefoot in the gym, or in a comp I use deadlift slippers.

Cons are great though and I know heaps of people who use them.
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    cons are great for a cheap, all round lifting shoe.

if you want to look at other lifting shoes, i'd be asking "why?", or "what benefit will you get out of them?"

after ~2 years in cons I have recently switched to an olympic-style shoe with a heel for squats and bench to help fix some of my technique weak spots (toes going too far forward on squats, and inability to get my heels flat for bench).

i am still deadlifting in my cons (or barefoot if i cant be stuffed taking 3 pairs of shoes to the gym)
  • pjunge11
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I switch between my chucks and my fivefingers, depending on what I grab first that day. I keep the laces looser at the toe on my Converse so my toes can spread out though.
    I personally prefer my Fivefingers because I can "grab" the floor better and situated my weight easier. That said, I bought them for running and just happen to use them for lifting as well.
    Would I go out and buy them just for lifting? Nah, not with my handy Chuck's my bag.

If however, you're looking for an excuse to buy Fivefingers without looking silly, go for it! There are so decent deals online, just watch out for frauds - only buy them from an online store that ALSO has a brick and mortar store. Those are the only sellers Fivefinger distributes to.