sick more often?

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
not sure if this is a coincidence or not but since my son was diagnosed in sept and we are converting to a GF diet he has been so sick. He normally is a very healthy child and he has had 3 colds and 1 flu since...

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    We've had tons of kids sick at our school. You could take him to the doctor to check and make sure he doesn't have a sinus infection or something that's not quite going away.
  • lin7604
    Options
    each time it's been a different type of cold. 1st time it was just a cough, then the next time it was a sinus cold, a very bad one. Then the stomach flu and then 2 days after he was finally feeling better from throwing up, he has a cough... he's a bit stuffy but it's more of a rough cough this time. if it was the same each time then i woudl think it could be the same and just not really gone away but inbetween he has been 100% and then when he gets another virus, it's different then the last one...
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Were you doing more fortified food before going Gluten-free? This cold season has been rough. I have been sick twice , once with the flu, healthy for a week, then a cold. It may just be a rough season. I never get sick so I am thinking this is more just coincidence if anything.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    This IS a rough season. I wouldn't attribute it to the new diet. If anything if he's eating "clean" foods he should be getting more nutrients than he was before.

I have a friend that has taught school for 20+ years and another that is a trainer for flight attendants.... both around sick people/kids/germs in airplane cabins all the time. They NEVER get sick, but got sick in the past three weeks and BOTH missed work - which is something they never do.

I think it's the season.....
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I got healthier! I agree about the fortified foods. Have you supplemented him with some good GF vitamins? If not, you might consider it!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    In your switch is he eating a lot of GF pre-made foods, like GF bread, crackers, cookies, etc or something else that he didn't eat before? If it's not truly a bug, it could be other intollerance that is more apparent because of an increase. I have terrible sinus issues and sometimes even a sore throat from dairy and corn products.
  • lin7604
    Options
    well he doe seat the premade items like muffins, etc i woudl say with the bread he has cut way down from how much bread he used to eat. I know he ate more meat before then he does now and it's getting worse. It's been hard at time with this transition with him.. he also is not really eating any veggies now either... i think it's just a phase.... i do give supplements for vitamins.. maybe it's all just a coincidence with it being a bad year with viruses?
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    We were the opposite. Kiddo was always sick, strep every few weeks, until we went gfcf. No strep since going gf four years ago.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    well he doe seat the premade items like muffins, etc i woudl say with the bread he has cut way down from how much bread he used to eat. I know he ate more meat before then he does now and it's getting worse. It's been hard at time with this transition with him.. he also is not really eating any veggies now either... i think it's just a phase.... i do give supplements for vitamins.. maybe it's all just a coincidence with it being a bad year with viruses?

I'm assuming he was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance? Celiac's? If it's a wheat allergy - I do get cold symptoms every time I eat any wheat. I noticed you said he's 'cut down' from what he used to eat. If he was diagnosed, he shouldn't be eating it at all. I would suggest having him stop wheat 100% and see how his body does afterwards. I just noticed the part about 'cutting down' which is what triggered my idea that maybe it is the wheat causing the symptoms.
  • lin7604
    Options
    what i ment from that is he has cut down on pre made items. like bread etc.... he used to eat a LOT of bread items, too much and now it is really reduced but he also reduced himself eating veggies and meat in the process. he's not eating gluten food, he is GF all the way!