shoes for training and the race

Capt_Apollo
Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
they put a better foundation under a skyscraper then they do on an outhouse.

that being said, i know a lot of people are wondering what kind of shoes they should wear for the Spartan Race. Their are stories that you need to tape your shoes to your feet so they don't get pulled off in the mud. I've done a few mud and obstacle course races, and i have never experienced a shoe coming off or have seen it happen to someone. In fact, taping your shoe on will definitely impair traction and possibly flexibility.

Race like you train.

In my opinion, you need to be training in your race shoes for at least two months. A pair of New Balance Minimus shoes offer great support and traction.

http://www.newbalance.com/NB-Minimus/minimus,default,pg.html

I use the Minimus 20 with the 4mm drop. It mimics barefoot running style, but it also has arch support. i especially like them for lifting, as the low heel helps keep me grounded for squats and dead lifts.

For runners that buy this shoe and want to get used to the barefoot style or running, it does take time. Go out and run, and do only a quarter of your usual distance. The first time i ran in minimus shoes i did 6 miles and my calves were killing me for days.

But remember, this foundation is not a substitution for the miles that you need to put in to finish the run with a big smile on your face.

Replies

• JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    I use Nike Free 3.0. They are a great transition shoe for someone wanting to move from a traditional shoe to a more minimal one.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    I stepped right out of my shoe 5 minutes into my first mud run. That sucker went down deep into some mud and SPLORCH, off it came as I pulled my leg up. Luckily I was able to get my foot back in it without it filling up with mud.

I never run these races in good shoes though, because you're only going to throw them away after the race most likely.
  • Capt_Apollo
    I stepped right out of my shoe 5 minutes into my first mud run. That sucker went down deep into some mud and SPLORCH, off it came as I pulled my leg up. Luckily I was able to get my foot back in it without it filling up with mud.

I never run these races in good shoes though, because you're only going to throw them away after the race most likely.

actually, my first pair of NB minimus got me through four mud runs and two triathlons.

i tied them tight. i never lost one.

and they rinse right off.
  • Runner_5
    Runner_5 Posts: 100 Member

actually, my first pair of NB minimus got me through four mud runs and two triathlons.

i tied them tight. i never lost one.

and they rinse right off.

Yep - those shoes got me through 3 mud runs this past summer and they have a small, half inch, tear in one of them. Treading and everything is still great.

Those have my hightest rec
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    This is all very good info :)

New shoes in the new year after my gait analysis (finally have my appointment Jan 2!). I'll be looking at the NB minimus, both for running and boxing.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    I swear by the Reebok reflex, I used my for Warrior Dash and Rebel Run, I couldn't be happier with them
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I have a pair of brooks with a 4mm drop. I wasn't ready to go to a 0 drop.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    I used to get my shoes stuck in the mud all the time as a little kid and would come home without shoes. I totally forgot that could happen. Will be lacing my shoes super tight.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Shoes that are perfect for the spartan race are on sale here: http://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/DannyPego New Balance Trail running shoes.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I cant navigate that site without a search field BOOOO

I have these for my run/trails/hills training leading up to and through the race:

W700XCS_alt7.jpg

but no spikes.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    I have been kicking around what shoes to wear. I picked up a pair of Nike Flex Trail Runners a couple weeks back and have been trail running with them since. They are great to run trails in but suck to run on the street so I am still using my Nike Free for that.

Part of me does not want to ruin my new sneakers at this race but then I think what the **** did I even buy them for! I am sure they will clean off and dry out to be used again.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    baptized by mud