off skates training

Options
Do you all do off skates training, or do you just skate at practice? What kind of other training do you do?

I used to run some, and got out of the habit, I'm going to start that again to help my endurance, and just my overall cardiovascular strength. I try to lift weights a little, but I'm not consistent with it at all :embarassed: I found this core challenge I think I'm going to start trying, it's called the core challenge and it is as follows:

50 crunches
15 pushups
1 minute plank
30 seconds side plank
1 minute bridge
15 pushups
1 minute plank
30 seconds side plank
50 crunches
1 minute raised plank
2 minutes bridge
50 crunches

Sounds kind of rough, but I think it will really work the core big time and help with our arm muscles. Any other workouts you guys like to use?

Replies

• MerryKhaos
    MerryKhaos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When doing off skates training, make sure you're doing a variety of things - you might want to have multiple circuits. You also want to think about what you want to train... all endurance? All quick twitch? Balance? Incorporate different angles of fitness into your off skates routines. Also, don't be afraid to work out on practice days!

For the beginner at extra workouts:

Do 10 minutes of plyometrics 3 times a week (I don't mean 10 minutes countign breaks. I mean 10 one minute plyo workouts)
    Run a total of 5 miles every week
    Do 50 push ups a week (not just regular, think about "Diamonds", elevating your legs, or staggering your hands)
    Do 15 minutes of HARD ab work 4 times a week (toe touches, russian twists, 6 inches, etc)

That's a good place to start :-D
  • 76blaze
    Options
    Awesome advice! Thanks!
  • 76blaze
    Options
    So I'm thinking about doing INSANITY. I'm thinking that if I do that it will be perfect for off skates training. It uses plyometrics, you build endurance, build strenght. Has anyone here tried it? Any ideas?