Abdominal binders

Options
So I am five days post op and I haven't been using my binder. I have tremendous difficulty breathing with it on. Is there a point where I'm going to find it more helpful? There is a lot my surgeon doesn't want me to do without it.

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what an abdominal binder is. I didn't have anything like that. I did have a disposable pain pump, though, that I had to remove after 7 days. What is the purpose of the binder?
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I was not told to use a binder, either.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I had a binder when I went home, but after my pain stopped, I stopped using it. So, that was within a week. I liked the feeling that it gave me as far as support, especially if I coughed. I was very strict and did no lifting until released to so and in my program only walking is allowed as excerise until 6 weeks after surgery. Then other items can be added in.
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    Its supposed to provide abdominal support, help with pain, and with breathing. Having difficulty breathing is the most surprising post-op problem I've been having as I never had any issues with asthma or anything like that before. I can't lay flat to sleep and I constantly feel tightness in my chest. :(
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I dont have one either. I was told to hold a small pillow to my stomach when I get up or down, just for support. Was your surgery laparoscopic? Just wondering.
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    It was done laparascopically.
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The abdominal binder is for support. Did they give you a little plastic thing to breath in and out of (incentive spirometer)? This helps to exercise your lungs after sugery and to help you not get pneumonia. This happens a lot after surgery because patients are afraid to take deep breaths because of the pain and you are lying around and not moving.
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    They did, and I used it in the hospital, though never got to the mark they wanted me to get to. I wish I had brought it home. I make sure I get up an walk around at least once an hour.
  • 130down
    130down Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used my binder for about 2 weeks. I don't believe I needed it towards the end, but I liked the extra security that it provided. I'm surprised that they didn't send you home with the breating measurement thing. My Dr. really stressed how important it was to use it every hour or 2.
  • sgmcat
    sgmcat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a binder but Idid get the breathing thing. It helped and I don't have any abdominal pains. I was able to get up and down easily because I have a ergomatic bed.