Do you ever get over the exhaustion

Options
VickyJo68
VickyJo68 Posts: 90 Member
Morning :flowerforyou:

Has anyone managed to get over the exhaustion? I was diagnosed hypo back in 2004 after putting on about 5 stone over 4 months. I had years of blood tests to get me on a does the GP was comfortable with, but still put on 1/2 stone (7lbs) a year. My TSH at last blood test was 0.4 and T4 about 18. I have the usual thing every year they up my dose of levothyroxine and it drops low so they lower the dose and my TSH rockets up to between 7 & 10. Every time the lab just says I am being non-compliant with my pill taking!!

However I can when I focus lose weight, but my problem is this lasts all of a week and I plummet into the depths of depression and ruin it all. It can be months before I get back up to anywhere near again. I do believe I cannot totally blame my condition for my weight gain it is what it has done to me as a person. The only way I can explain the feeling is when you go to bed at 6.00am and get up at 7.00am after an hours' sleep. I feel like that nearly all day. The worst part came in November 2010 when I was put on suicide watch and on depakote ever since.

I don't want to be like this for the rest of my life and wondered how everyone has managed and what time do you find best to take your pills, bearing in mind I struggle to get up full stop without having to get up an hour early to take it before food!

Many thanks

Vicky xx

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get over the exhaustion? Well, I did!

I still get drowsy once in a while during the winter, but for the most part, I have my energy back.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you on Depakote for? I used to be on it for migraines, and it does zap out some of your energy. The hypothyroid thing is bad enough, but when you throw on some drowsy medication on top of it, it takes a lot of fun out of life. The Depakote worked wonders for helping me out of my painful hell, but getting off of it was wonderful too.
  • Mjolner
    Mjolner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Vicky,
    We all react differently and our symptoms and struggles aren't going to be the same. But yes, you can. Here are some tips on how it can/could get easier:
    * Figure out when you have the most energy, and use this time if you can to include exercise. If you do it moderatly it really helps boost the energy level. For me this was paramount, it allowed me to push myself further than I would otherwise do.
    * Try to create the right habits, once a habit, the will power doesn't have to work so hard to force one to do things wheteher it be diet or exercise. The hardest thing is always to start doing something, if you don't have to decide to do it, it gets easier.
    * Identify your triggers, the once that drive the undesired emotional results. See if you have control over these. Once you realize what the triggers are you most likely know what to do about them.
    * Like survivors of all kinds say during the hardest times of struggle to survive, focus on the next step, the next yard, small and achievable goals. Don't let the end goal be the only thing that looms in the distance, so far away and seemingly unattainable, and don't forget to celebrate the small wins, it helps cement them as the right behaviour.
    * Find five things everyday that you are greatful for, that make you smile and make you all warm inside. It is a great exercise thought it might seem corny, but I am a very positive person these days, and that wasn't always the case it was something I chose to become. Finding things everyday that I am profoundly grateful for helped in finding answers and teachers in everything, changing the way I saw the world.

I am not saying that this works for everyone, but those are part of my strategies. I was diagnosed in 2006 at 6.9 but then it started to rocket up and at its highest it was in the 50's, and it took until this year to get my TSH in range (upper 4.5ish) and 325mcg of Synthroid. I lost 70 lbs over two and a half years from 2008-2010, maintained for a year, added almost 30 lbs back in 2011 - 2012 when my work requirements changed and routine exercise wasn't possible. I have dropped 16lbs from the high 2012 number and am slowly getting back towards my desired routine, or habit, for weightloss.

Far from my ideal weight, I also know that I have to work harder, and be more careful with my diet than anyone else. It is just a fact, no sense in fretting about it. But knowing that also helps me muster more energy when I work out, and that in turn gives me more energy back. Diet has done the same thing once I cut out suger and carbs. It is counter intuative, but that is how it is for me, and if I start skipping days of exercise it starts getting really hard to get back into the gym. I allow myself to slip off the diet once a week for one meal, but I don't plan on it, but when it does happen, it isn't the end of the world, and it is within the plan.

I do have one advantage, I don't have a sweet tooth. So the Holidays so far with Halloween candy, Thanksgiving pies, X-mas cookies and assorted sweets isn't difficulty for me. Even though they are all around, and freely available at work and anywhere else at this time of year. My weakness is carbs, particularly during the winter months my carb craving is acute. I haven't had a slice of pizza or pasta for 6 months. :-)
  • VickyJo68
    VickyJo68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get over the exhaustion? Well, I did!

I still get drowsy once in a while during the winter, but for the most part, I have my energy back.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you on Depakote for? I used to be on it for migraines, and it does zap out some of your energy. The hypothyroid thing is bad enough, but when you throw on some drowsy medication on top of it, it takes a lot of fun out of life. The Depakote worked wonders for helping me out of my painful hell, but getting off of it was wonderful too.

Hi they put me on the Depakote once I nearly went completely off the wall to stabilise my moods. I'm still on them now, but if I try to come off I go straight down hill again. I've been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (with depression & anxiety) and cyclothymic disorder (lower level Bi-polar Disorder).

Vicky
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options

Has anyone managed to get over the exhaustion? I was diagnosed hypo back in 2004 after putting on about 5 stone over 4 months. I had years of blood tests to get me on a does the GP was comfortable with, but still put on 1/2 stone (7lbs) a year. My TSH at last blood test was 0.4 and T4 about 18. I have the usual thing every year they up my dose of levothyroxine and it drops low so they lower the dose and my TSH rockets up to between 7 & 10. Every time the lab just says I am being non-compliant with my pill taking!!

So when you say "it drops low" I assume you mean your TSH? The problem is that when you are taking thyroid meds your TSH is often very suppressed, so it no longer becomes a useful measure for thyroid function. It's actually not very useful anyway, as it's a pituitary gland hormone, not a thyroid one.

You need to ask your doctor to also test your free T3 levels, and to base your dose on your free T3/T4 and NOT on your TSH!!

It sounds like your thyroid isn't being managed well. You'll get over the exhaustion when it IS managed well.

I don't want to be like this for the rest of my life and wondered how everyone has managed and what time do you find best to take your pills, bearing in mind I struggle to get up full stop without having to get up an hour early to take it before food!

You can also try taking your meds at night; 3 hours after food and before you go to bed. There's evidence for better absorption at night as well.

Honestly, I think your thyroid is being grossly mismanaged. I would get a free T3 test - it should be in the top 1/3 of the range your lab uses. T3 is the hormone that does all the work on your cells - T4 is just sort of the "storage" one. If your body is not able to properly convert T4 into T3 you'll have all the issues you described above.

As well, you're on a synthetic T4-only med. It can be really difficult for your body to convert this into T3.

If your T3 is low I would STRONGLY suggest you look at taking a dessicated thyroid med. It contains both T3 and T4, and many/most patients feel MUCH better taking it.

If your doc won't test your free (not total) T3, FIND A NEW DOCTOR, please. You are not being properly taken care of.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options

and it took until this year to get my TSH in range (upper 4.5ish)

The upper range for TSH has been 3.0 since 2002, soon to be reduced down to 2.5 (with many educated thyroid doctors arguing for 2.0). A TSH of 4.5 is quite hypo - I would encourage you to get your free T3 and free T4 tested.

If your doctor thinks 4.5 is in range, then you need a new doctor.
  • Canuckette
    Canuckette Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is my main reason to try exercise. I was speaking to my husband last night about the vicious cycle - too tired to exercise, feel crappy because no exercise makes me tired!

The hardest hill to climb is the one that gets you to put on the workout clothes and lace up the shoes. It takes an insane amount of willpower when dealing with thyroid fatigue to get to that place.

I've always found, without a doubt, that exercise increased my energy levels consistently.

Believe it or not, yoga - one of the more gentle ones - was excellent for this as it massaged the internal organs, moved lympth around the body, increased circulation = bam, more energy.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. This is my ongoing struggle, and I self-medicate with coffee and tea, but looking to break that cycle.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Well, everyone is different and have different symptoms.. ranging from mild to severe.

When my medication is off I am like a walking zombie.

When my medication is right I'm a walking zombie on a mission.

I'm tired, always tired... but I get up and do what I have to do because I know I don't have a choice. Besides, I refuse to allow this disease to take over my life, no matter how bad I feel.