Geocaching

Options
gse313
gse313 Posts: 252 Member
Ok... I'm going to start this thread by giving all the cachers a reminder... Today is 12-12-12... the LAST calendar alignment for the century...

If you are going to earn that special badge for your GC account page, you have GOT to get out and either find a cache or attend an event TODAY!!!

For those interested in geocaching, wondering what it is, etc... I like to discribe it as follows:

Have you ever played 'Hot & Cold' as a kid or WITH your kids?!?!

If so, imagine a game of 'Hot & Cold' where, rather than a room or the house, the whole WORLD is the search area and your GPS or Smart Phone is telling you if you are "Hot" or "Cold"...

Now... Think of this... Once you are told you are "Burning Up" you now have to play 'Hide & Seek' with an object that can be as small as the top to a tube of toothpaste to as large as (or larger than) a 5 Gallon bucket...

You can create a free account on www.geocaching.com to get started and see if you like it (or ask your friends... chances are someone is a cacher and would be willing to take you out) before you pay for a premium account. At $30 a year for the premium account, it is well worth the money... access to more caches and many features of the site only available to premium members.

There are caches literally EVERYWHERE!!! Downtown cities, parks, forest preserves, under water, on mountains, even on the frozen continants!!!

For a fair idea of what it intails, watch this YouTube video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FxrMY91jJU yes it is a trailer for a movie, but Geocaching played a role in the plot...

Replies

• gse313
    Options
    Ok... for those considering getting started...

Rather than jumping in and buying a $200 GPSr (Global Positioning System receiver) rite off the bat, I suggest looking in your phone's App Store. There are a number of free apps on most platforms that will interface with your account on the website. With these apps you can usually not only use your phone's GPS and the app to get you to the cache, but it will also allow you to pull up caches and log your finds in the field.

On the Android OS, I suggest an app titled c:geo. It is very easy to use and I like many of the options.

If the site asks, say Ellis Explorers referred you... don't know if it does, but just incase
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'll second this. Geocaching is amazing fun, good exercise, uses your brain. And, it really shows you great hidden treasures in places you are visiting or even your own home town! Many geocachers are geeks so you often get some fun geek-themed caches (I have personally hidden some in Atlanta that were literature-themed or had titles relating to Doctor Who, Firefly, and They Might Be Giants. And I've seen many of the same from other cachers.

Ooooh, I just wanna run out and find one right now!!!
  • gse313
    Options
    Ok... For any of you who are cachers, anyone who KNOWS cachers, and anyone who is the "Craft" type, this is for you....

A member of our extended family (wife of my wife's cousin) wrote this wikiHow and I thought a number of us would enjoy it. No, it may not be a Bison tube in our pine tree, but it may just help it look acceptable from a cacher's view point!! ;-)

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Geocaching-Christmas-Ornament

Enjoy!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    THat's a cute idea for the tree!!

We really want to try geocaching with the kids in a couple years (our youngest is only 4). But we'll probably buy a hand-held gps, because it's cheaper than buying a smart phone, LOL!
  • gse313
    Options
    Our youngest wasn't quite 5 when we started... we presented it as a treasure hunt... went after caches with kid friendly trade items and took her to the dollar store party aisle to get some inexpensive items for her to trade of her own... she LOVED it!!
  • guwisti
    guwisti Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Awesome ornament idea! I've given out painted geocaching themed ornaments at 2 of our holiday events before but this would be a good direction for next year! thanks for the idea! :D
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Because of this post I found myself explaining Geocaching to a co-worker today. He is very interested in trying it out with me, so perhaps at long last I will have a local caching buddy here! (My caching buddies are all back in Atlanta.)
  • gse313
    Options
    Gotta love it when you can pop a muggle's 'caching cherry' AND get a caching partner out of the deal!!!
  • m0pp3t
    m0pp3t Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Saw this on a friend's Facebook and had to reshare here :)

You Know You're A Geocacher When...
    (Ashley-Elizabeth Trzęsiara)

your friend who got you into geocaching, gives you a roll of cammoed duct tape, and you jumping up & down with joy!

standing at a party, you spot the guys fake rock in his rock bed.

anyone ask you what you are doing you have the impulse to lie or make up something.

people surprise you, you try to act "natural"

your co-workers hate you because every time you take a pencil or stapler from their desks you leave a stupid toy car, pocket knife or battery.

when you buy a tin of mints or candy just for the tin and give the contents away to your kids so you can make a cache out of it.

planning your Christmas holidays home, you've already figured out that you can stop at least 3 cache sites on the way home from the airport.

You get the kids meal at BK or McDonald’s for the swag

You know your an ADDICT cacher when you get the sweats when your GPS and PDA are not in the car with you.

You use the names of area caches as landmarks when giving someone directions.

You realize you lost the papers for an important meeting and report to the boss that someone has "muggled my desk".

You say "Honey, I will be back in an hour or two, or three, or four."

wherever you go you have the gps, the laptop, and a portable printer.

you buy a 64 pack of AA batteries just for your gps.

you decide you hate buying the batteries and decide to get the car charger.

you say, "Honey, can you pull over here.", *5 min. later, "Honey, can you pull over here."

you hang a big painting of a geocache on your cubical.

..."Mom, could you please take us to school, first?"
    ..."Mom, could we go home now? It's half past eight and we are tired and hungry!"
    ..."Mom, just let us out of the car, ok? We'll walk!"

the shop owner of the 99-Cent-Store sends you a greeting card for Christmas.

You are at the grocery store and sign the check "busterbabes" instead of your real name.

When your kids ask you "where are the cornflakes, mom?" you reply "in a traditional in the kitchen"...

You take sick leave from work to be FIRST to a cache.

You can read encrypted hints as quickly as unencrypted.

You begin referring to your pets with the prefix "Geo".

Someone asks you where the photocopier is and you say, "25 feet bearing 270".

You're looking at $1 dollar stores and garage sales with new interest because they are a source of Geocache "treasure".

You are the computer Geek with a tan.

You plan your entire vacation around Geocaching.

There might be a store right nearby to you, yet you go out of your way to go to another of that same store, just because you have unfound caches nearby

You come back from a business trip without finding any caches and consider it a wasted journey

You know which stores in your area have good offers on lock & lock boxes.

Your choice of food shopping is swayed by the type of container the products come in.

Half the phone numbers saved in your phone have caching names rather than real names next to them.

You think "Signal" is a good name for a pet.

Someone mentions what part of the country they come from and you think to yourself "That's somewhere in N51 W001"!

you consider using a birdhouse that you made a few years ago for an Eagle Project/Senior Project, have a real bird nest with fake eggs and a nano underneath

your keep a used wasps nest to use as a "cache"

you got a car travel bug to log the miles it's gone to every cache you go to

your most finds in one day is 10, 9 dnfs
    your next most finds for one day is 9, 8 dnfs
    and you've gone back for those 9 or 8 to find them

When you honestly consider choosing which islands you'll visit in the Pacific during your sail around the world based on which ones have good caching.

Or which ones need good caches.

When you see on the news that the authorities are searching for a body in nearby woods and you wonder if they'll find that cache that’s around there.

The day after you are discharged from the hospital for having pneumonia you are right out there again in the cold weather searching for caches... when you should be home resting.

when you get disappointed because the person you were watching in the parking lot was really looking for a parking spot and not a cache.

when you decide "that cache has sat there long enough" and spend 11 hours on the road and put 520 miles on the travel bug to get a FTF.

"don't leave home without it" means your GPSr.

you get laid-off from work but instead of looking for work you look for caches!

When your job tasks you with a driving task to another town many miles away and you are asked to suggest a co-driver.......
    You choose a smoker!
    Why you ask?
    Because the vehicle is non-smoking and you are forced to stop at pull offs and rest stops so they can have a smoke.
    Oh, and how coincidental, there's a Geocache at those stops.

When you pray you don't get pulled over by the cops because you don't want to try explaining all the electronic gear, the ammo can, the camo-covered items, and the pointy stick in the back seat of the car.

when out in the woods you see a bush shaking, and hear giggles and moaning, only to think "Dang! They beat me to GC3X4RT!"

you and the hubby decide you need to head to the grocery store to get stuff for dinner that evening, and you ask, "Well, could you get out the e-trex and download a couple of caches first? We don't want to waste a trip!"

You went out and bought a new purse, just for geocaching and hiking. Only you can justify it by not calling it a purse. "But honey, it's a nice rugged canvas messenger bag, with room for a water bottle and everything..

When asked what you would take with you to a desert island, you list your wallet, phone, camera, gpsr, and Swiss army knife.

You object when some 10 yr old Harry Potter fan calls you a muggle.

When fellow cube zombies at work start bringing in unused Tupperware containers and old key chains and useless junk for you to use as swag.

You head to the paint aisle at Wal-mart, only to be disappointed that they don't have any cans of camo-colored spray paint. You decide to go to the craft aisle to see if they have camouflage stencils.

you are also disappointed that your local scrapbook store doesn't have any geocaching themed embellishments to compliment your FTF photos. You ask if they can stock Groundspeak licensed items.

You hide a cache practically on your own doorstep hoping that local cachers will come by and say hi.

you honestly have no idea what way is north and yet you consistently function quite well as the navigator of caching trips.

you wish your boyfriend would manage to propose to you somehow using geocaching

The cashier at the crafts store knows you because you're always in looking for those tiny plastic Ziploc bags in the jewelry-making aisle...and you're a big, tough-looking guy.

All my refrigerator magnets are magnetic key holders.

When you can play "connect the dots" with the mosquito bites on your body, and spell out your gc.com user name AND the name of your favorite cache.

when all your pets have TB tags on their collars, and more than 20 of the local cachers have discovered them.

When you have more than 3 TB t-shirts.

When you have a TB sign for the back window of your cache-mobile, and a vanity plate # that matches the TB's number.

When you look around for a newbie to recruit for the game, in part to carry your 2nd backpack of swag.

When poison ivy plants recognize you, and either give up in disgust, or pull up their roots and walk over to greet you.

You know you're a geocacher when you look at your messy house and you think that it would make a good CITO event.

You are walking down the street and a neighbor has just cut down a tree and you think to ask him for a log to hollow out for a cache.

You have paid (or thought of paying) for a baby-sitter so that you can do some "serious" caching without the kids

When you look at the logs for a cache GC.com and see nothing but Maintenance Requests and DNFs for the last 6 months, but you go anyway because "Maybe I can find it."

When you log a DNF and the next day someone logs the FIND, and you remain depressed all day. Then you look for it again, DNF again, and then someone finds it the next day. Rinse and Repeat, happened to us, and we found it on our FIFTH try, the cache is 70 miles from home and up at 9,500 feet elevation.

When you find a difficult cache, you feel like you won the lottery!

You bought a vehicle that is BETTER than what you had, with Geocaching in mind

You take a Jeep Travel Bug skydiving because you've always wanted to go skydiving.

I had to take my wife to the hospital emergency room..and instead of waiting (we were told up to 3 hour wait) there with her my geodaughter and I went to look for a cache we knew was close by

You clean out your junk drawer and use the stuff for swag.

The cashier says "paper or plastic?" and you say "plastic" because you can use the bags for CITO.

Your kids' toys start to look more and more like swag every day.

You have dreams about caching and nightmares about DNF's.

You're fishing on a charter boat and wonder about placing a cache under water.

You're waiting for a new park to be opened so you can put a cache there.

You can't find something in a store and start walking in circles.

You see a phone number and think it looks like GPS coordinates.

You lose your Garmin and wonder what you'll do with all the free time.

You know all the poison ivy remedies and ways to remove ticks.

You chose your last pair of shoes with caching in mind.

You make waypoints for hollow trees just in case you might put a cache there some

You pick your dating spots by first checking how many caches are there within walking distance.

you know you're a geocacher when you aren't out caching - you're posting in the geocaching forums.
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this before (where have I been all this time?), but I've been looking it up and it sounds AWESOME.

I want to start this weekend! Wooot!
  • gse313
    Options
    Katt, Where are you located?!?! We may be able to hook you up with some local cachers who can help you get your feet wet!!

All Cachers... Start sharing your stories!!! Tell us how you got started, interresting caches you've found (include GC#s if you can), etc... Lets make this a thread for all things Geocaching!!!
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I got started without a GPSr at all....I looked up caches on geocaching.com, the clicked the Google Maps link and zoomed in close. Found my first several there, then a local cacher sold me a very basic GPSr for a cheap price. When I bought my Colorado (a much nicer GPSr), I put the very basic one in a geocaching-themed cache as swag, with a note to please leave it for someone who hasn't got one yet. :-)

I am a dilettante at best, with only about 110 caches since joining in 2006, but I've really enjoyed the caching I've done. I made myself a rule, if a cache was within walking distance, I'd walk to it. While training for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, that rule began to apply to further and further-away caches! I still do almost all my caching on foot, usually walking with my papillon, who thinks a three hour walk is a good start.