Hybrid Wendler/SL Routine, anyone?

Options
OK, I am beginning week 13 this Tuesday and am thinking about doing a mixture of SL with Wendler's 5/3/1.

I know some of you are doing mixed routines so wanted your opinions and feedback on how well a mixed routine works for you.

I find that I am getting to a certain point with my squats that my neck and traps just rebel, so I have been modifying by first deloading then going from 5x5 to 3x5 (all after form checks, of course). I like the idea of periodization and mixing things up in the Wendler program (especially the deload week..*sigh*), but don't like the idea of having to come up with a bunch of assistance exercises.

So, was thinking I could continue SL but modify format to Wendler's 5/3/1, counting the other two exercises as my assist exercises.

Thoughts anyone?

Jackie

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you'd consider "mixing" them. The big 4 lifts are 4/5 that you already do in SL, dropping the Pendlay rows which you could keep as an assistance exercise. I don't personally, because assistance is supposed to be lighter work, and doing pendlays with 10 lb plates or less is just annoying since you have to set so many plates under to get the right height. I might bring them back, later. I like them a lot as a back exercise.

The only thing it actually requires (if you want to strictly follow the program) is the schedule, and the 4 big lifts. Anything beyond that is up to you to customize in a way that makes sense.

Basically its just 4 day a week, 4 week sprints (or 3 day a week 5 week sprints) where the first 12 workouts follow a certain pattern, and the last 4 are deloaded which means you do 50% effort (roughly) and go home.

But yeah I'm doing it and I love it. I was getting to exhausted by squatting to even THINK about doing anything else. Now I get to the bench press fresh, and I like that. On the flip side, progress is sloooow. Slow slow slow. Also I always INTEND to keep a 4 day schedule but never actually DO.... ha The slow progress depresses me a little but I like that I feel like I have time and energy to do OTHER stuff. Like I'm working on bodyweight dips right now (and chinups but I care about the dips more for some reason) and if I want to run after I lift I almost always have the energy and strength left.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I never mixed them, I used madcow with stronglifts as it is the same system but modified for stalls, and then I moved over to Wendler's...the deloads give you a break and I have successfully broken all of my stalls. I think even the barbell row will increase (well it would have, had I continued the heavy lifting, but stopping for a couple of weeks now) My last big push was the whole body with Wendler's (ohp, bench, squats, deads and barbell row) on one day...took me an hour and I managed every single lift, no problem (the heaviest lift day too)...I recommend Wendler's when you stop increasing steadily and want to go at a slower pace in order to break any lifting stalls you have reached.

p.s. Wendler's does not include the barbell row, but I just added it in there as there is so much time to kill with this programme as Tameko said, and I was missing doing heavy lifts with my back. (one armed rows are not quite the same) So just do your calcs for the barbell row and add it onto a day with other lifts or do it all on its own and add whatever else on that day. I was doing boxing for half an hour and then my back lifts (pull ups, lat pull downs, one arm rows and barbell rows, etc).
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was getting to exhausted by squatting to even THINK about doing anything else. Now I get to the bench press fresh, and I like that. On the flip side, progress is sloooow. Slow slow slow.

That's exactly what it is: Those blasted squats! They just kill it for me. I think what I'm going to do is do Wendler's for my lower body work and keep SL for my upper body. I really don't mind the slow going on the weights: I think that is the only thing that keeps me motivated to stay with SL format (3x5, not 5x5) for my upper body exercises.

Thanks so much for the feedback!
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I never mixed them, I used madcow with stronglifts as it is the same system but modified for stalls, and then I moved over to Wendler's...the deloads give you a break and I have successfully broken all of my stalls. I think even the barbell row will increase (well it would have, had I continued the heavy lifting, but stopping for a couple of weeks now) My last big push was the whole body with Wendler's (ohp, bench, squats, deads and barbell row) on one day...took me an hour and I managed every single lift, no problem (the heaviest lift day too)...I recommend Wendler's when you stop increasing steadily and want to go at a slower pace in order to break any lifting stalls you have reached.

Thanks so much...this is great advice! I guess my pea-brain doesn't understand the whole madcow system. Maybe I will revisit it and see if that one will work. For now, going to try Wendler for my lower body lifts and keep with SL for upper body.

I agree...gotta have me some rows! I can't believe you did whole body Wendler's: You are the bomb!
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good info! I agree about the squats too!