Bulk/cut cycle durations

Options
Do you go by time limits or body fat %?

With either, do you set a minimum duration for your bulk?

Is there a benefit/detriment to cycling often?

Do increase/decrease cals slowly, all at once, or incorporate a maintenance period between?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I like to go by bodyfat and personal preference (example: When I think I'm "lean enough" it just so happens to be around 9-10%. When I start to feel like a fatty it just so happens to be in the 16%ish area, so while I'm going by how I feel, it happens to align with Lyle's recommendations as you'll see below). I have every intent to reverse diet going between a cut and a bulk, but I never manage to do so successfully. LOL.

I do recommend this article from Lyle as he covers all of your questions:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bump to follow
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I go by body fat. Getting too fat makes your cut longer and more painful, and being too fat also lower testosterone.

I don't set a minimum duration, I have a target weight, and try to gain as slow as I can. Trying to gain weight linearly is a nice idea, but it rarely happens like that in real life. I typically bump calories up by 250, my weight will spike, then gains will level off, then they will stop. After I stall for several weeks, I'll add another 250.

The benefit to short bulk/cut cycles is you stay leaner. The detriment is that muscle gain takes time, so if your bulk cycle is too short, you may end up doing little more than gaining and shedding water.

I prefer to transition slowly. I'll usually bump calories by 500 after I end a cut, which will put me roughly at maintenece for a while. When I'm ready to start gaining, I'll increase calories by 250 at a time, as I described above.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Thanks SS that was exactly what I was looking for.

I started this bulk before I was at my goal BF mostly because I was just sick of cutting and the weight loss started to slow way down on the cals I was eating. Not wanting to drop cals further I just decided to bulk. I thought I would bulk for three months then start the cut again. Just didnt want to have any issues with yoyo cutting/bulking to quickly.

I have also been really conservative on cals not wanting to add much fat but might have hindered muscle gains. The "happy medium" approach sounds a little more flexible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging for the discussion for when I finally get low enough to be able to bulk.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have been reverse dieting for about 7 weeks. Since, my bulk is going to be so long (a min of year), my increases in weight are going to be very gradual. I haven't bod podded since the last show and I probably won't do so. My progress is being measured by my weight, strength in the gym, and how my clothes fit. Mirror too....

I do have a "red line" that I have set for 205lbs. At my current progress of adding 5+ of cho here or 5+ of fat there, it's going to be a very long process. This allows me to stay pretty lean and allows my body to adapt to the subtle calorie increases.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Tagging for the discussion for when I finally get low enough to be able to bulk.

^^ Sigh, this......
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have no answers for your questions. . .

. . .but. . .

. . .I love your ticker picture lol
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Going to need this post when i'm done with cutting.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I like to go by bodyfat and personal preference (example: When I think I'm "lean enough" it just so happens to be around 9-10%. When I start to feel like a fatty it just so happens to be in the 16%ish area, so while I'm going by how I feel, it happens to align with Lyle's recommendations as you'll see below). I have every intent to reverse diet going between a cut and a bulk, but I never manage to do so successfully. LOL.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html

Okay, I read this.
    So.....is the IIFYM intended for bulk or cut or both. I am really having a hard time grasping all of this. I have spent almost two years trying to be less fat...now let me see if I've got this right......I need to not gain muscle and lose more fat (+/- 22% now)....then, gain fat and muscle at the same time then lose the fat again??? Please say no.....please say no.....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Okay, I read this.
    So.....is the IIFYM intended for bulk or cut or both. I am really having a hard time grasping all of this. I have spent almost two years trying to be less fat...now let me see if I've got this right......I need to not gain muscle and lose more fat (+/- 22% now)....then, gain fat and muscle at the same time then lose the fat again??? Please say no.....please say no.....

IIFYM is appropriate for both.

And yep...sorry, that is correct. However, it depends on whether you are OK with your muscle mass when you get a bit lower BF%. You never know, you may be totally happy with your LBM at that stage.
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Okay, I read this.

IIFYM is appropriate for both.

And yep...sorry, that is correct. However, it depends on whether you are OK with your muscle mass when you get a bit lower BF%. You never know, you may be totally happy with your LBM at that stage.

Thanks again, Sara! Well...momma is NOT getting fat again. LOL! I am seeing more muscle development over the last few weeks, so....i guess I'll keep plugging along!