Rowing Technique

Options
DavidMW1
DavidMW1 Posts: 44 Member
Thought it might be useful to have a thread where we can post technique videos, and advice. First up, Drew Gin, talking about boat speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-G91HGegQ

Replies

• Icon699
    Options
    Sorry for pushing Canadian Rowers all the time but I very partriotic and to be honest Canada has produced some of the best rowers ever. Here's Derek O'Farrell (Canadian National Team Rower) showing some aspiring rowing coaches proper technique. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkBQlSjmxd4
  • skillingsrobertj
    Options
    Great video.
    He mentioned his 'go-to' workout (my term, not his) was 40mins at a stroke rate of 20-21. Looking back, my rate is typically in the 25-28 range. Is that to build up a good aerobic base, I wonder?
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    Here's a little tip I picked up during my full on training days.

When rowing on the Concept 2, there's a point where the chain stops going forwards, and starts to come backwards as you apply the pressure from the legs. This is the "catch". The catch needs to be as swift and smooth as possible.
    To help, focus on a point under the chain, and try to keep the chain a constant visual blur passing over this point.
    One way of doing this is to think about raising the hands very slightly as the legs come on, as if you are rowing the chain around the smallest cog on a bicycle wheel, that way, the point of transition becomes infinitesimally small, and consequently the catch faster.
    The trick, is to do this without "snatching" with the shoulders or arms, but springing lightly off the toes.
    Try it at a low rate first.

Good luck.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Any tips on rowing feet out whilst on water? We were steaming through a 2k the other day when my feet popped out of the shoes (they were 2 sizes too small!) and I just couldn't keep my legs straight! I ended up just sitting and trying to row with my arms! Our coach had a bit of a scream at me when I explained, and made everyone row feet out, but I still couldn't do it. She said that I must be throwing myself backwards and that was obviously the wrong technique, that it should be completely controlled - but I have no idea how to stop myself from keeping my feet on the foot plate at the end of the drive!
  • skillingsrobertj
    Options
    ...think about raising the hands very slightly as the legs come on, as if you are rowing the chain around the smallest cog on a bicycle wheel...

This tip worked out very well for me. My tendency has been to tense up slightly and snap backward at the catch. Concentrating on making that small circle relaxes the upper body and focuses the mind on making a smoother catch and more fluid drive.

Thanks !
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    Hello Elle,

you need to practice feet out on the ergo. What tends to happen, is that you get used to pulling yourself up the slide on the footstraps., then take the catch and open up the body angles before the legs are fully driven down. Net result is that you shoot off the back of the slide, as feet come away from the stretcher!
    Try taking your feet out, and rowing by using the arms away and body swing to get the momentum to carry you up the slide.
    Work at a light pressure, and make sure the legs are fully flat before you open up the body angles, sit back, draw the arms in firmly, and get the hands away swiftly followed by the body rock over again. We used to have to do 20 minute pieces with feet out. You'll soon get the hang of it, and it's a great exercise for getting the rhythm right, and the finishes much stronger.
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    Another nice little vid from the Decent rowing series, showing a good ergo exercise for the catch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyYeQZ-dOqk&feature=youtu.be
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Any tips on rowing feet out whilst on water? We were steaming through a 2k the other day when my feet popped out of the shoes (they were 2 sizes too small!) and I just couldn't keep my legs straight! I have no idea how to stop myself from keeping my feet on the foot plate at the end of the drive!

Two things...you want to slide up with the boat; think about letting the boat come to you (that's what our coxes always say). Also, by practicing with your feet out on the erg, you'll get used to using your hamstrings to pull you up rather than pulling on your feet. As your stroke rate moves up, it does get almost impossible to row feet out, but up to about 26 spm, you should have no trouble.

Elle, could you join our Concept2 challenge? I'm going to send you this in a separate friend request message too, just in case you miss it. Then the others can explain how to get there. One of our group is actually a rowing coach, so she could probably also help. Try searching for mcrower. She is my inspiration!
  • m1311
    Options
  • m1311
    Options
    One more useful site: get a program for yourself:

http://concept2.co.uk/training/interactive