So tired of eating...

Options
veggibus
veggibus Posts: 34 Member
I'm 4 weeks out and in the middle of stage 4 (mushy foods). I am SO tired of eating, essentially, baby food all of the time. :(

I try to mix it up so that I'm not eating the same thing over and over again. But the texture and the fact that I eat so slow that everything is luke-warm to cold is getting to me. The one, and only, thing that I haven't gotten tired of is string cheese.

It doesn't help that I went to my office's holiday party today at one of my favorite pizza places. I was eating baked tofu with a baby spoon while everyone around me was having delicious organic flatbread pizza, beer, and dessert. I wanted some pizza and beer more than anything. :(

Anyway... enough of me complaining. I have a little more than 2 more weeks of this stage to go and I need food suggestions and encouragement.

What was your favorite food during this stage? Do you have a recipe or snack to suggest?

Thanks!

Replies

• kaydol1488
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I'm six weeks out but unable to eat alot of the six week foods and I'm back on mush! I eat mostly yogurt, cottage cheese, refried beans and sometimes tuna. I prefer to drink my meals simply because food is so unappetizing. I do get all my protein in and but I never get the 800 calories I'm supposed to. Sorry I don't have advice for food items, but we shall soon be pass this stage! Good luck
  • veggibus
    Options
    Hi Kay,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble eating week 6 foods. :(
    I've been very very fortunate that I've had no problems tolerating food. I suppose I should be thankful for that and stop whining. :)

Good luck to you too! We'll be enjoying food again in no time, I'm sure of it.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Guess I was lucky. I was progressed weekly. Week 1 was clear liquid, week 2 was full liquid, week 3 was pureed/soft foods, and week four was a soft diet. After that I was on a low fat diet regular diet, focusing of course on protein and veggies. Have never had any problems with any foods at all, so long as I don't eat more than my pouch will allow.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Too funny! I can't wait to get to the mush stage!!! My plan was liquids only (protein shakes, clear liquids, and broths) with the occasional cream soup strained, fat free pudding, and Greek yogurt plain for the first two weeks after surgery. I am still in this stage. I meet with the surgeon the day before Christmas and really hope she says I'm ready for the mushy food stage! It's so fun to see how different each persons plan is depending on the surgeon.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Are oatmeal and eggs on your approved list? I put protein powder and a little cinnamon in my oatmeal. I love it that way. If eggs are on your list then you could scramble one and put a bit of cheese on it. I hear you about the cold food. I am 3.5 months out from RNY and am tired of my food getting cold. But it beats the heck out of too big a bite making me sick!!
  • jillybean65
    jillybean65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was just talking with my husband last night about having to eat cold food, and having to put things in the microwave all the time. Does make things less appetizing when you have to keep reheating them.
  • veggibus
    Options
    Turtles,

I felt the same way after my all liquid diet. My biggest complain during that stage was that I really wanted something savory, but all I had was protein shakes, jello, pudding, yogurt, and propel. Thankfully, I was only on that for 2 weeks.
    Now, I'm on the mushy food diet for about 5 weeks. I really shouldn't complain - I'm doing great. I just miss food.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Mushy stage was by far the hardest for me. I also had a problem with everything being so sweet. When I needed something not so sweet some of the things I ate were ricotta cheese, refried beans, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, hummus, tomato soup with crackers and I know it may sound kind of disgusting; but cottage cheese mixed with mustard or thousand island dressing.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

Go there...make her baked ricotta. I *lived* on it during the mushy stage. I still make it only now I add meat to it also. Soooooo good!
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you feel you are ready to move on to the next stage - move on!
    That's what my NUT and surgeon told me..... I was on solids about 6-7 weeks out - but no crunchy solids. It took a long time for me to work up to crunchy foods.

Try shirataki noodles, baked sweet potatos, make your own dips/hummus, mash some cauliflower (deeeeelish!), edamame is awesome thrown in the oven sprinkled with salt! yummyyyy.
  • veggibus
    Options
    Hi Mae,
    I've gotten a lot of ideas from EggFace - haven't tried her baked ricotta though. I'm not actually a huge fan of ricotta cheese, but I do like tofu. I should substitute in tofu instead of the ricotta. I could also add some sweet potato or butternut squash - essentially make a tufo/squash lasagna without the noodles. Now I need to go to the grocery store again. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Eryn,
    While my pouch may be ready to move on and my head really wants to move on, I'm happy taking the slow road. I really want to do everything by the book and make the most out of this new opportunity for me.
    That being said, some of your suggestions sound great. I was actually looking for frozen cauliflower the other day in Trader Joe's and couldn't find it. I'll have to make sure to get some soon. I love cauliflower mash - even better with cheese.
    Thanks!

Does anyone snack on any of those airy/crunchy chip/puff type things. Like the veggie chips or anything? EggFace often has a bag of baked cheese in her bento boxes, but the fat content looks a little high (then again, she admittedly will not eat low fat or fat free cheese). :) I also know someone who had a LapBand who ate puffed veggie chips all of the time. Any suggestions?
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    To satisfy my crunchy, I'm currently on a cheddar mini-rice cake kick.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Does anyone snack on any of those airy/crunchy chip/puff type things. Like the veggie chips or anything? EggFace often has a bag of baked cheese in her bento boxes, but the fat content looks a little high (then again, she admittedly will not eat low fat or fat free cheese). :) I also know someone who had a LapBand who ate puffed veggie chips all of the time. Any suggestions

I do eat the pop chips, rice chips, veggie straws/skinny stix, Beanitos...... I also don't eat low-fat or fat-free cheese very often, same with my Greek yogurt - in fact, I make it a point to buy Greek yogurt with at least 2% MF in it..... I don't like watered down dairy and/or soggy, weird tasting cheese. Plus, when it's fat-free, so many other chemicals are in it to get it to the texture it needs to be.....my body - and subsequent progress - has responded well to introducing certain fats into my diet, i.e. Greek yogurt, avocado, nuts, full-fat cheese, almond/other nut butters, olive/other oils, etc.

My only issues are with meat (ALL meat), pasta, white rice, white potatoes, certain breads (I only buy whole grains/sprouted grains now), lettuce, carrots, milk (I drink almond milk now), some forms of fruit and obviously high-sugar foods.

My go-to snack for the longest time was Beanitos and cottage cheese....... try out all that airy stuff - your body will tell you what it likes and doesn't like!
  • Gahummingbyrd
    Options
    My surg. recommended that I blend up some of my favorite canned soups. I tried some new ones too. The split pea and ham was my favorite. I made some homemade chicken soup and blended it. That was the best. My family enjoyed it to.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    The mushy food phase made me mad. I stayed mostly with liquids and some mashed/pureed soups. It made me mad b/c the protein wasn't as plentiful. :) You will get through soon! Keep trucking along! :)