The right to bear arms

Options

Replies

• mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    People also use knives to kill. I say we ban all knives. How many people have been killed by someone driving a car? Let's also ban cars and trucks, etc.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Has anyone advocated banning all guns? If so, then your argument about knives and cars might make a little sense. Otherwise, no.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    And guns have one purpose which is to kill. (Or injure at best) You can dress it up any way you want (protecting my family and all he other excuses) but its sole purpose is to kill. Knives have other non-deadly uses. As do cars and trucks. (And per 100,000 people Americans still die more than other countries with strong regulation)

I'm also someone who's speaking from a country where they took our guns. And I'm sill living more free than most Americans. (No Patriot Act, free from terror, free from fear) my govt is not perfect but I assure you if the American govt wanted to rule by dictatorship there is nothing stopping them from doing so. Including your puny guns. Ask the Pakistanis how their weapons are holding up against drones.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    For goodness sake, no one is talking about banning guns! Why is it that any time anyone tries to have a sensible debate about what kinds of guns the average citizen actually needs and what we can do to ensure that guns don't fall into violent hands, people start *****ing that we are trying to ban guns and destroy freedom? You do not need an automatic weapon to hunt or to defend yourself against a home intruder.

Yes, car accidents kill people. That's why we have drivers licenses and speed limits and traffic laws.

Yes, knives kill people. But no one has every committed a mass stabbing. And knives, unlike guns, are not used solely for the purpose of killing.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I can understand the need for self-defence, to a point, and also the personal ownership of guns for hunting purposes, especially in rural settings. I cannot understand why any private citizen needs a rapid-fire, multi-chambered rifle or shotgun for either of those purposes. I also cannot understand the resistance to checking that those who wish to own guns are stable individuals who are at least likely to use them with care, and keep them out of the hands of those who may do damage with them, intentionally or accidentally. The US' failure to adopt common-sense basic principles of gun safety baffles me.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    As a British subject, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to own a gun unless it was for work. (e.g. as a farmer or gamekeeper) or sport (in which case the firearm should be kept securely at the gun club or gamekeeper's lodge).

Gun ownership in the UK is governed by some of the strictest laws. Moreover, carrying any sort of weapon to use for self-defence is illegal in the UK. Yes, we have the right to defend ourselves and our property, but we are not specifically allowed to arm ourself to do so.

I must admit, I feel perfectly safe. Then again, I don't live in a rural area and I'm fortunate enough never to have really been a victim of any violent crime. Yet, I find it shocking sometimes, when reading some of the posts by US citizens on the MFP message boards in general with regards to their perception of personal safety and the use or potential use of firearms as a means of self-defence or threat - well, I find that unfathomable.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    "Guns don't kill people, people (with guns) kill people."
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you're going to quote the constitution, use it in context:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The second part kind of undermines your claim that it's all in the constitution already.

It's easy to target gun laws as the explanation behind the terrible things that have happened. Easy, but a copout. Someone could walk into a school with a baseball bat and kill a bunch of children, certainly not as many as with a firearm, but does that suddenly make it ok?

Mental illness is something that needs to be addressed, and isn't. It's not addressed here, or in Australia. Sadly, I doubt it will be addressed even now because it's so much easier to blame guns, or violent video games and music.

Also, trying to equate more stringent gun laws to the reason you're living free from terror and without the Patriot act is a horrible misinterpretation of the facts and greatly undermines your ethos.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Also, saying 'well I just can't understand why such and such' doesn't leave any room for debate.

Sure you can understand why. You might not agree with it, but if you truly can't understand what's going on and the motives of your opposition, why bother with the discussion?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    For goodness sake, no one is talking about banning guns! Why is it that any time anyone tries to have a sensible debate about what kinds of guns the average citizen actually needs and what we can do to ensure that guns don't fall into violent hands, people start *****ing that we are trying to ban guns and destroy freedom? You do not need an automatic weapon to hunt or to defend yourself against a home intruder.

Yes, car accidents kill people. That's why we have drivers licenses and speed limits and traffic laws.

Yes, knives kill people. But no one has every committed a mass stabbing. And knives, unlike guns, are not used solely for the purpose of killing.

Read the first post again
    As an Australian can someone explain to me the rational behind having semi automatic weapons available legally?

And knives not being the culprit behind mass murder? Have you heard of a small-ish continent sometimes known as Africa? Look it up.

How about bows? Should we heavily regulate all those murderous wannabe Robin Hoods?
  • castadiva
    Options
    Also, saying 'well I just can't understand why such and such' doesn't leave any room for debate.

Sure you can understand why. You might not agree with it, but if you truly can't understand what's going on and the motives of your opposition, why bother with the discussion?

I'm assuming this is directed at me? Actually, as someone who has always lived in countries with gun control laws, and many fewer mass-murders assisted by uncontrolled gun ownership than seen in America, I genuinely do not understand why so many Americans are so virulently opposed to their legislature taking common-sense basic steps in this direction, and nothing I've read here has illuminated this point for me.

I cannot see any rational need for any private citizen to own armed forces-grade weaponry, though I sympathise with the desire to defend oneself, and the needs of sport/hunting (I shoot clays and game birds myself), both of which aims can be achieved without mass-ammunition or rapid-fire devices. I also don't see any justifiable or rational reason to resist the registration and licensing of gun ownership and the enforcement of safe practice.

Most of the 'defence' seems to boil down to "because we wanna own guns", "we don't trust government" and "because the constitution says we can" - a document of several centuries age, written when guns were a significantly different proposition to those now available. None of that, to me, qualifies as an adequate reason to resist basic controls and amendments to existing laws that would demonstrably (see Australia, UK, New Zealand, among others) significantly reduce the incidence of school and public-place mass shootings the US experiences every year. I am truly baffled that anyone should think their 'right' to own a weapon designed to kill dozens in mere moments should trump the value of the lives lost every year in the USA to these shootings, and the grief of the victims' families and friends.
  • castadiva
    Options

And knives not being the culprit behind mass murder? Have you heard of a small-ish continent sometimes known as Africa? Look it up.

How about bows? Should we heavily regulate all those murderous wannabe Robin Hoods?

How many arrows a minute does a bow fire? And how many knives a minute can one man throw, assuming we're talking distance-killing? How accurate and how fast are those weapons, and how often are the wounds inflicted fatal? How much chance does an intended victim have to save him or her self? The difference is obvious, unless one is being deliberately obtuse.

Your definition re. Africa is flawed - a mass murder in the context we're talking about is one or two aggressors against a large number of victims, not an entire continent engaged at various times in internecine war with itself.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I'm assuming this is directed at me? Actually, as someone who has always lived in countries with gun control laws, and many fewer mass-murders assisted by uncontrolled gun ownership than seen in America, I genuinely do not understand why so many Americans are so virulently opposed to their legislature taking common-sense basic steps in this direction, and nothing I've read here has illuminated this point for me.

I cannot see any rational need for any private citizen to own armed forces-grade weaponry, though I sympathise with the desire to defend oneself, and the needs of sport/hunting (I shoot clays and game birds myself), both of which aims can be achieved without mass-ammunition or rapid-fire devices. I also don't see any justifiable or rational reason to resist the registration and licensing of gun ownership and the enforcement of safe practice.

Most of the 'defence' seems to boil down to "because we wanna own guns", "we don't trust government" and "because the constitution says we can" - a document of several centuries age, written when guns were a significantly different proposition to those now available. None of that, to me, qualifies as an adequate reason to resist basic controls and amendments to existing laws that would demonstrably (see Australia, UK, New Zealand, among others) significantly reduce the incidence of school and public-place mass shootings the US experiences every year. I am truly baffled that anyone should think their 'right' to own a weapon designed to kill dozens in mere moments should trump the value of the lives lost every year in the USA to these shootings, and the grief of the victims' families and friends.

Actually a number of folks on this thread have posted similar comments. The initial post was a call against semi automatic weapons (I guess leaving breach loaded shotguns and bolt action rifles...and muskets?). This was not a discussion against whether or not folks should be able to own tanks and anti-aircraft rocket launchers; this was a question of pistols and semi automatic rifles.

My point was that this style of debate is incredibly combative. You at least tried to bring a point of common ground (sport shooting), but saying 'I can't understand how you can possibly believe this' is synomyous with 'well if you believe this you're completely illogical and stupid'. This is exacerbated by boiling down all arguments opposing your view to 5 word cliches. It doesn't give any acknowledgement of intelligence or thoughtfullness.

I hate arguments of personal rights meaning we don't care about the rights of victims or what have you. You know what else killed dozens in mere moments? 9/11. The Patriot Act was put in place with provisions to better enable the government to combat terrorism. They've had some success with it too. So I guess that means the people crying out against it don't care about the victims of 9/11? I feel the rights afforded to me as a US Citizen are damned important, and that includes the second amendment. This doesn't mean my heart doesn't go out to the families in CT, and across the country and world, that have been devastated by tragedy.

I think gun regulation is important and is something that should be considered, but for the prevention of future events like Sandy Hook, I think the detection and treatment of mental illness is far more important. Care for the mentally ill in this country is apalling, and it's not much better elsewhere in the world. I think we need to take a LONG, hard look at the system we have in place to find and care for the mentally ill first and foremost. That's a harder and more complex problem to solve though, and it's easier to rally around a idea like taking guns out of the hands of would-be killers.

There isn't a simple solution to this problem. You can't explain why someone would walk into a school and slaughter young children. It defies reason.

http://thegrio.com/2010/03/08/hundreds-massacred-with-machetes-in-nigeria/

To use the language of this thread: 'If we just took away their machetes it would solve the issue in that area'
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    How many arrows a minute does a bow fire? And how many knives a minute can one man throw, assuming we're talking distance-killing? How accurate and how fast are those weapons, and how often are the wounds inflicted fatal? How much chance does an intended victim have to save him or her self? The difference is obvious, unless one is being deliberately obtuse.

Your definition re. Africa is flawed - a mass murder in the context we're talking about is one or two aggressors against a large number of victims, not an entire continent engaged at various times in internecine war with itself.

A 1:26 ratio is not unheard of in that part of the world. The tactics are very generally small groups of 'soldiers' sent to communities lacking the means to defend themselves. That's not war, it's genocide and it is mass murder.

The claim, stated MANY times over was that the sole purpose of a gun was to kill. Throwing knives and bows are the same, regardless of their efficacy at it.

My point is that if he had gone in with a sword or a baseball bat with nails hammered through it, and only managed to kill 4 or 5 people instead of 26, it probably wouldn't be plastered all over the news as it is now, but that doesn't make it any less terrible. We need to get to the underlying root of the problem: his mental condition.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

So to what part of being "a well regulated militia" does an individual owning a firearm belong?

Surely the US Army is your country's well-regulated militia and unless you are a member of the armed forces, why should you have any right to keep and bear arms? Are you intending to rise-up and enact a coup d'etat?

Just because someone has the right to do something, doesn't mean they have to automatically exercise that right.

And saying I don't understand or cannot imagine why leaves plenty room for debate, because what I am asking for then is an explanation to help me comprehend.

Ultimately, I believe there is a fundamental difference in the psyche between peoples of different nations and in the US gun ownership is as normal as owning a powertool, a washing machine or a motorcar. But I also think that the normality of owning a item designed exclusively as a weapon somehow blurs the edges of one's ability to reason. In a fugue or disturbed state of mind, you might imagine getting a gun and setting the world to right. The difference is, in the US, you have access to firearms and so making the leap from wishful thinking to reality is all too horrifically easy.

Changing beliefs that are so inherent, so entrenched, is not an easy task, but it can de done. That may require some high-level (statutory) intervention initially, but if it is for the greater good, then so be it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

So to what part of being "a well regulated militia" does an individual owning a firearm belong?

Surely the US Army is your country's well-regulated militia and unless you are a member of the armed forces, why should you have any right to keep and bear arms? Are you intending to rise-up and enact a coup d'etat?

Just because someone has the right to do something, doesn't mean they have to automatically exercise that right.

And saying I don't understand or cannot imagine why leaves plenty room for debate, because what I am asking for then is an explanation to help me comprehend.

Ultimately, I believe there is a fundamental difference in the psyche between peoples of different nations and in the US gun ownership is as normal as owning a powertool, a washing machine or a motorcar. But I also think that the normality of owning a item designed exclusively as a weapon somehow blurs the edges of one's ability to reason. In a fugue or disturbed state of mind, you might imagine getting a gun and setting the world to right. The difference is, in the US, you have access to firearms and so making the leap from wishful thinking to reality is all too horrifically easy.

Changing beliefs that are so inherent, so entrenched, is not an easy task, but it can de done. That may require some high-level (statutory) intervention initially, but if it is for the greater good, then so be it.

And yet again you're missing the second half of my quote, the right for an individual to bear arms. Also, the federal army is different from a state militia, in fact one of the primary reasons for the second amendment was to provide states with protection from the federal government should they need it. 'I can't understand how you don't get that.' To me at least, that seems very combative.

I say all of these things not owning a gun myself. I have not yet exercised my right to bear arms. I may in the future, or I may not, but it is still my right. Additionally, I already defined a number of weapons designed exclusively as such with no other practical purpose (admittedly less effective than firearms).

The ubiquitous 'people of the US' don't all see owning a gun as normal as owning a power tool. Some see it as a very real responsibility with plenty of risks involved. I WISH people would take owning a car with similar prudence. Some people don't treat gun ownership with the respect it deserves, and that's a serious issue. I do not think that means that as a result we should ban the use of semi automatic gun ownership.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    There's no reason any citizen needs to own an assault rifle. There just isn't.

Deer don't wear Kevlar.

I'm not opposed to gun ownership. I'm just a rational person is all. I don't think people should be prohibited from owning a pistol, shotgun, even a hunting rifle.

But the weapon that guy used was a damn hand cannon.

And if you want to bring up the Constitution...they had muskets back then. You had to pour gun powder and jam a ball down in between each shot which more often than not missed and wasn't anywhere near as lethal as today's weapons.

You show Thomas Jefferson the gun used at that school and he'd quickly put a big f'ing asterisk next to that second amendment.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    There's no reason any citizen needs to own an assault rifle. There just isn't.

Deer don't wear Kevlar.

I'm not opposed to gun ownership. I'm just a rational person is all. I don't think people should be prohibited from owning a pistol, shotgun, even a hunting rifle.

But the weapon that guy used was a damn hand cannon.

And if you want to bring up the Constitution...they had muskets back then. You had to pour gun powder and jam a ball down in between each shot which more often than not missed and wasn't anywhere near as lethal as today's weapons.

You show Thomas Jefferson the gun used at that school and he'd quickly put a big f'ing asterisk next to that second amendment.

I feel the same way on the issue. You want to own a gun for protection or hunting? Fine. You want an assault rifle or a machine gun? Uh, why?
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with this
    Right_To_Bear_Arms.jpg \m/
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion is that I as an American refrain from condeming things I disagree with in other countries/cultures so I would appreciate it if you don't do so with ours.