Cutting Back on Holiday Calories

Options
How are you going to have fun but not go crazy with all the holiday food?

I believe in treats but I do not want to get derailed over the holidays. I've decided I'm going to navigate the holidays by eating consciously. Here is what I mean...

Sitting down with a slice of pecan pie and enjoying every bite is conscious eating.
Enjoying numerous bites of cookie dough while baking without realizing it is is not conscious eating.
Grabbing a meat ball, cracker with cheese, veggie with dip every time you walk by the appetizers is not conscious eating.
Getting a small plate of healthy appetizers and limiting yourself to what you put on your plate is conscious eating.

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much approaching it the same way. I want to enjoy my favorite things that I can only get around Christmas, like my mom's lasagna, grammy's bread pudding, and a little egg nog for Christmas Eve dinner. For brunch I'll have some of my boyfriend's dad's buttermilk waffles. Anything other than that is stuff I can have anytime and I don't have room in my cals for anything else! I will be enjoying myself, but in a totally conscious way.
  • skyttles
    skyttles Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Same, just carefully decided portions and decisions, though i'll also be packing a small container of veggies to munch on when i get hungry otherwise i'll end up sampling things! (I also might incorporate Christmas as my cheat day, though i still won't go all out!)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Very good advice. Thanks for posting. Not sure if I can stay away from the cookie dough, though.
  • bdufrane
    bdufrane Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For those who like Egg Nog, I tried Kemp's "Light" kind. It was actually pretty good. When you mix it w/ rum or whatever, it actaully tastes the same as the regular, and it doesn't make you feel as full! Just an idea to save a few calories!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Great tips!

For my family the big meal happens at dinner, we don't do breakfast or lunch - so fortunately I am able to eat low cal early in the day and save the big cals for dinner.

I'm avoiding liquid calories, except for some coffee at dessert.

Exercise in the AM - earn some calories!
  • tazokat
    Options
    That's a great idea! I have also found that if I eat more healthy appetizers (like things out of the veggie tray) to satisfy my mild hunger and then later choose ONE thing that looks extra delicious, I tend not to eat as much because I have had healthy filling things and then one treat, instead of a bunch of treats and still being hungry, and then eating more treats.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Such great tips!! Conscious eating is the best way to stay on track, thanks for the reminder :)
    Merry Christmas everyone :)