Magic beans

Options
BigGuy47
BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
The doctor is taking me off the magic beans (500 mg Metformin/day). He said to check my bgl once a week to monitor any changes.

I've changed my entire lifestyle; healthy diet and exercise 6 days a week. I've lost over 100lbs and I feel good about my overall fitness. My goal from the very first day I was told I was diabetic and needed to take Metformin was to get off Metformin - to change my well being through lifestyle changes.

I've also stopped taking my high blood pressure medication. Stopped taking it over a month ago and my BP remains normal.

I'm pleased with removing a couple of medications from my daily ritual, however I'm somewhat nervous about removing the magic beans. In my mind Metformin alone is responsible for all the positive changes. It's a mental hurdle I must get past. The doc said I'll be fine without it as long as I stick to my plan.

I would be interested in hearing from others that manage without the meds. New territory for me.

Replies

• travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress. It sounds like you and I took a very similar approach upon diagnosis. My goal was also to do whatever it took to get off the Metformin as quickly as possible. I have been med-free since mid-July. I have found that my fasting numbers have stayed pretty much the same. I do think I spike a litle higher post-meal, but it has still been within range. I get my new A1C in a couple of weeks - the first one since I've been off the Met - and I'm anxious to see what it is. When I was taken off the meds it was 5.1. I don't know if it will still be that low, but have reason to believe it will still be acceptable enough to continue med free.

Keep doing what you're doing and you should continue to have success.
  • BigGuy47
    Options
    Thanks Travis. My A1C a few months back was 5.2 The lab took a blood sample today, I'll find out my current numbers in a few days.
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.......

You charted your mission and stayed on path.....

I hope to be where you guys are in a few months.....I am determined.
  • wcucats77
    Options
    Big guy 47... Congratulations!!! I, too was told on August 8, because i had A!C with 6.5, I knew changes were drastically needed. Therefore, I too was told to take 1,000 Metafornin. What I did was join MFP lost 17 pounds, and kept carbs to 100-150. My nutrioniist ws concerned because I was losing to much weight. She then told me to get carbs between 150-200. Also exercise with Schwinn airdyne 4-5 times a week and like yourself, very intense. Buring 525 to 600 calories in hour. This is about 15.5 -16.2 miles treks. My numbers testing 3 times a day are in 80-90's and fasting early morning is back to 95-99. My next A1C will be early December.

My point for describing this in length; I know everyone is different, but it sounds like you are the reason for the turn around and not medicine. Another postive to think about; my mom who is 79, comes from a fammily that was ravaged by T2. My mom was diagnosed at the same age as myself 58 and she lost weight, like yourself, just walked, not intensily, very careful with what she ate. This regimen, kept her off Metafornin untill last year. 20 years. Her readings, until then had always been in high 5 to upper 6. So my point, until last year when it went into 7 and her one 8. Only then did she get on Met. and her numbers are back into low 6's. NO complications from this horrible disease..

So moral of story.... KEEP doing what your doing and continue to test. And once again congrats for taking control !!!
  • terrymbradley
    Options
    That's awesome it lets me know that there is hope for me also. My A1C was 9.0 in June 2 weeks ago it was 7.4 so I am heading in the right direction. I take 1000mg of Metformin 2x a day morning and nite.

Congrat's again you have done great !!!!!!!!

Mike
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Great job and congratulations!

My doctor took me off Amryll in September. I could stop taking the Met (1000 mg once a day), but since it helps with weight loss I decided to continue taking it until I reach my goal weight. My doctor had no problem with this. I test once a week and my readings are generally in the 90's. I go back to the Dr. next month.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group. I was diagnosed a Type 2 Diabetic in March when my A1c was reported at 8.3% with elevated blood pressure and elevated cholesterol. At that point, my doctor started writing a prescription for Metformin. I quickly interrupted him and stated I would rather manage my blood sugar through diet and exercise. He reluctantly agreed but stated if I couldn't gain control of my blood sugar in the next three months, I would need to begin taking Metformin to prevent damage. I immediately started researching my best options using natural remedies.

The first thing I discovered is that Magnesium plays a role in over 300 bio-molecular processes that are critical to metabolism of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates and your minimum recommended daily is quite difficult to reach through diet alone. Significantly, I read that most Type 2 diabetics suffer from a magnesium deficiency. So, I began taking 400 mg of Magnesium twice a day. To counteract common side effects, I started consuming a lot of high-fiber foods. But Magnesium is easily absorbed through your skin as well, so that can be another option if oral supplementation disagrees with you.

For high-fiber supplementation, I consume Psyllium once each day with a tall glass of water, and I consume two tablespoons of ground flax seed (in oatmeal, in soup, or on salad. I also consume one ounce of heart-healthy, salt-free nuts each day. Try raw unsalted almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, peanuts, etc.

The next thing I learned is that one gram of Cinnamon can help metabolize sugary foods and reduce sugar spiking. Ceylon Cinnamon, also referred to as True Cinnamon, typically originates from Sri Lanka and is hard to find in the USA whereas Cassia Cinnamon is most common here in the USA. Cassia Cinnamon contains Coumarin which thins the blood. The generic blood thinner, Warfarin (trade name Coumadin), uses Coumarin as one of its primary ingredients. Most of us can take up to a full gram (1000 mg) of Cinnamon everyday with no ill effects.

I then discovered that Chromium is recognized as a fat burner which also reduces blood sugar spiking and controls fasting blood sugar levels. So I began taking Chromax Plus twice a day.

I further learned that Alpha Lipoic Acid, a non-essential fatty acid typically manufactured in our body is key to managing the symptoms of metabolic syndrome. Alpha lipoic acid is a fatty acid found naturally inside every cell in the body. It's needed by the body to produce the energy for our body's normal functions. Alpha lipoic acid converts glucose (blood sugar) into energy. I take 600 mg everyday to reduce symptoms of insulin resistance.

My second blood test three months later, which would have been the determining factor for Type 2 Diabetes, showed a drastic reduction in A1c to 6.2% and my doctor agreed that I was not a candidate for Metformin. He simply told me to just keep on doing whatever I've been doing and he'd see me again in six months. So, I'm not a Type 2 Diabetic any longer but I continue to take these supplements, exercise everyday, and watch what I eat. And I feel GREAT!

- Mike
  • emboss03
    emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I could really use some more information and encouragement from all of you as to what you have done and what has worked. I constantly battle my blood sugars and weight. I'm 28 years old and I've struggled for years to find the right "diet" or lifestyle to do. I've done low carb, no carb, calorie counting, and almost everything under the sun. I recently went to my doctor about a month ago with my frustrations, and he told me to stop worrying about the calories I'm eating, and focus more on the carbs I eat and the type of carb I eat. So, I've been going back to low carb/no carb type of thing and still struggle to stay on the wagon and not fall off. I have very little support from my husband and I work odd hours where I eat at work so I can't always eat everything I should. Luckily, my job allows me to cook meals there so I can usually modify something so it's a bit healthier for me. I work out 3-4 times a week and stay as active as possible. My doctor also prescribed phentramine for me and that, along with diet and exercise has helped me lose about 6 lbs in a month. Doesn't seem like much, but I know everything helps. I've previously taken all of those supplements and such and didn't see too much difference in my blood sugars.

Feel free to add me "emboss03"... I don't track food on here, instead I input a food to see it's carb and nutrition information if I'm not able to see a nutrition label. But, I do track exercise and weight/measurements.

Thanks!
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations mikeyrs..:smile: ... I'm currently at 6.0 and shooting to join those who have got their's down to 5.

Dee
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you Dee! I still have some more to go. But since I look upon my effort as a lifestyle change rather than a diet, I've got time on my side. :smile:
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Excellent News. You should be really proud of yourself.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hoping in the future to join you guys in no longer being a type 2 diabetic. They started me on metformin before they gave me the numbers because I was set in my mind not to take it until I seen readings over ten. Doc called me at home didn't give me any numbers and just threw at me. You are a diabetic I kind of said to her. I knew it was coming for years. But didn't take care of it. But now I must. I lost a few lbs in the last month about 5 but hey it's not a good month or time of year to lose.

Will get very serious again in Jan. I know I can beat this and with all your help here I will.

LindaC
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but, it is my understanding, that once a T2D, always a T2D. You can control your blood glucose by diet and exercise and get off the meds, but as soon as you go back to high sugar intake, your blood glucose will rise again to dangerous levels. It’s like saying I’m cured of alcoholism because I haven’t had a drink in over 27 year, but I know that I am not cured, and the first drink I have will set me back to being a practicing alcoholic.
  • BigGuy47
    Options
    I think "controlled" is a more accurate term than "cured".
  • Annaduurai
    Annaduurai Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congratz! That is awesome! Yes once a diabetic always a diabetic or at least prone to relapse. Since Fat cells feed on insulin cells in our blood which is the cause of diabetes for most T2 diabetics, it is possible to go into a sort of "remission" for lack of better word. If you lose the weight and remain in a healthy lifestyle of exercise (which releases insulin into the body) and not eating processed sugars you can live a normal healthy life without meds.

Because our bodies will no longer be fighting against having insulin in our blood, when you lose the excess weight, it is possible to have no signs of T2 diabetes anymore. I think from what I have been told we can have a treat here in there if we practice moderation and healthy living once you lose weight and get into normal ranges on your A1C.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Guess I worded that wrong what I meant is being back to diet control. I still have a long road ahead and still in the learning process.

Linda
  • thomasjbrock
    thomasjbrock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy hearing about peoples success beating the dreaded type two. I had bariatric surgery last January 23rd and was off diabetic medication within a week. I started backing off carbs a year and a half ago but until I virtually eliminated them my a1c was only slowly coming down. Overall I've lost 235 pounds, and about 207 pounds since starting MFP.
    I suggest that everybody read Gary Taubes book "Why we get fat". Until you understand the basic science it's difficult to make the right choices.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Congratulations TJB. I’m reading Taubes “Why We Get Fat” now. I read his “Good Calories, Bad Calories” and really enjoyed that although a little thicker on the brain than “Why We Get Fat”.
  • thomasjbrock
    thomasjbrock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is amazing, and Taubs is an amazing character. Joel Fuhrman is another incredible nutritionalist. Eat to live is another great book. The more we know the better we can deal with the diet issues. I just finished another book by John J. Rately called spark. How exercise builds cognition. I've lost 240 pounds using these books, and my increased cognition is almost spooky good.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    The doctor is taking me off the magic beans (500 mg Metformin/day). He said to check my bgl once a week to monitor any changes.

I've changed my entire lifestyle; healthy diet and exercise 6 days a week. I've lost over 100lbs and I feel good about my overall fitness. My goal from the very first day I was told I was diabetic and needed to take Metformin was to get off Metformin - to change my well being through lifestyle changes.

I've also stopped taking my high blood pressure medication. Stopped taking it over a month ago and my BP remains normal.

I'm pleased with removing a couple of medications from my daily ritual, however I'm somewhat nervous about removing the magic beans. In my mind Metformin alone is responsible for all the positive changes. It's a mental hurdle I must get past. The doc said I'll be fine without it as long as I stick to my plan.

I would be interested in hearing from others that manage without the meds. New territory for me.

I take glyburide, but I am only taking it when my FBS is high. with eating right again, and losing weight, my numbers have come down into the 90's from the upper 200's. Last time I did what I am doing now, my BS got down to 70 and I was getting worried of going in the wrong direction so to speak. I was totally off the glyburide then. In last week and half. I have taken the meds maybe 3 or 4 times. Hoping to ditch them 100 %