HIIT vs Weight Training on Fat Loss?

Options
psuLemon
psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
So I have google'd the crap out of this but have been curious if HIIT or WT is more effective for fat loss. We know both are effective for muscle retention during weight loss (assuming adequate protein and a moderate deficit).

The reason I ask, I have decided post holidays, I am taking a break from weight training (tendinitis in both my wrist) for a few months. I plan on doing a program called Les Mills Combat (beach body) which is an hour of HIIT a day. I understand I will definitely lose strength but wasn't sure if I am hurting my fat loss journey.

BTW, once I am done this program, I will be doing body beast, so I will be lifting heavy to make up the strength losses.

Lemon

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I vote the same, perhaps tad more to the HIIT just because there is aerobic recovery in there plus warmup/cooldown, where as lifting more prone to just recovery lower level so you can still lift strong, with maybe no aerobic warmup/cooldown

But both are anaerobic pushes.
    Doing hill HIIT sprints I've gotten the same and worse DOMS in glutes as deadlift has caused.
    Just localized to that muscle though, compared to few more on deadlifts.

This is my bump to follow too.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have the same question in my mind. As I'm into a cut for a couple of weeks now, I'm doing something different once a week and cutting back one day on lifting. I did HIIT last week and I did Bear Complex this week. I think I'm going to try various complexes and plyo workout for functionality and, while I don't have proof in the way of any study on comparative burns, I think they are likely comparable. I can tell you that, when doing the Bear Complex yesterday, I was every bit as winded as a HIIT interval and today I am sore all over. it got my whole body and I was only using the 45 lb bar and a ten on each side.

Whether that would work with your wrist issues, I can't say. But if that workout, based on intenstity and fatigue afterwards doesn't burn a substantial amount of calories and increase EPOC like HIIT, then somethings wrong!! I think they do though as most that I've read about Metabolic Weight Training says it provides good burns but I've never seen a straight up comparison with HIIT. cng

It's a good change of pace from heavy lifting too. (To be clear, I'm still doing a heavy strength training program 2x per week with 1 day of this and a day or 2 of LISS like walking.)
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I started with HIIT and Metabolic Resistance Training for a few months then went to 5x5s a few months ago. I definitely saw more fat loss with HIIT/Metabolic Training. But I have been able to put on weight while maintaining bf% doing 5x5s.
    I am getting ready to switch back to HIIT/Metabolic at the end of the month to start cutting again and give my elbow joints a chance to heal.
    Hope this helps.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have nothing productive to add but will be watching this thread.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Watching and waiting....I've actually been doing both - Stronglifts 3 days/week, then HIIT sprints (9.5mph on the treadmill, 30 sec on, 30 sec off) on my off days, then 1 full day of rest.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    I can do an hour weightlifting no problems. An hour of HIIT? Would kill me. LOL

HIIT is going to burn more calories than WT. As for burning more fat? I think that is still going to come down to deficit. Will HIIT provide the same LBM sparing benefit as WT? Im not sure but if it does then that is great. Any strength losses should be easier to regain as long as muscle is preserved.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thanks.. it was a good read.
  • psuLemon
    Options

HIIT is going to burn more calories than WT. As for burning more fat? I think that is still going to come down to deficit. Will HIIT provide the same LBM sparing benefit as WT? Im not sure but if it does then that is great. Any strength losses should be easier to regain as long as muscle is preserved.

Well i have seen a study from the NIH that HIIT can provide enough resistance to maintain lbm. I still experience hypertrophy doing HIIT. Additionally the program I am using does include a day or two or resistance type training... but more endurance type. I will definitely record my weight and body fat % to calc lbm and see if any lbm is lost.

Personally i just need some time off from weight training. And this is a martial arts program so it will be fun.

Wish me luck and i will post results.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Well i have seen a study from the NIH that HIIT can provide enough resistance to maintain lbm. I still experience hypertrophy doing HIIT. Additionally the program I am using does include a day or two or resistance type training... but more endurance type. I will definitely record my weight and body fat % to calc lbm and see if any lbm is lost.

Personally i just need some time off from weight training. And this is a martial arts program so it will be fun.

Good luck. I cant wait for the results.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Are you doing martial arts or just the HIIT training for it?

Good to have you as a guinea pig :wink:
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I'm interested in this subject as well.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Bump to see results!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Are you doing martial arts or just the HIIT training for it?

Good to have you as a guinea pig :wink:

Les Mills Combat is a hiit program designed around martial arts.. its both technically.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So as a six week update.

Program: Beach Body's Les Mills Combat
    Calories: 2500 per day
    Macro's c/p/f: 40/40/20
    Starting weight: 197
    Current weight: 191
    NSV: I now fit into a size 34" pant

I will do all my measurements when I am done week 9. I can tell I have lost strength as predicted but my stamina has definitely improved and I am seeing much greater definition in my arms and chest. Should be interesting to see how many inches I have lost since I started.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Very nice rate of loss there and grats on the new pant size!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sweet!! I haven't seen a 34 pants size since high school!