MEPS ?

Options
Tempe729
Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
Anyone have any info regarding MEPS? My recruiter was kinda vague as to what it entails...

What do you do? What's involved? etc.

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Like physically or what?
  • Tempe729
    Options
    Like physically or what?

Anything :ohwell:

All I know is that i'll be re-measured for BF % and that they'll probably do basic health check-up
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    They do blood/urine tests, eye sight, audigrams, you'll have to accomplish a few exercises to prove your joints/body is up to the minimal standard of the Navy-this includes the duck walk; all of this is done in underwear and a small hospital type gown. You'll have to have your girl bits checked out to make sure you're a girl like you say, and that you don't have any...other problems. You'll also have to account for your physical health all the way back to birth, any major scarring needs to be explained, and history of major illness/ailments/surgeries etc. If you have tattoos they'll want to know what they are and where. Basically they check from head to toe, every nook and cranny. It's a long day and it will give you the first real look at 'hurry up and wait' and being treated like a boot.

After you're approved you stand in a bunch of lines, sign a bunch of papers, go where they tell you to and eventually you choose a rate. You may go in wanting one specific rate, but it's not always offered to you right away. If you want to hold out and stay in DEP longer and you can get your rate you want then go for it, but don't pick a rate because the Navy has romanticized it on a sheet of paper.
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    I could go on all day, but really it's just something you'll have to experience yourself to understand.
  • Tempe729
    Options
    They do blood/urine tests, eye sight, audigrams, you'll have to accomplish a few exercises to prove your joints/body is up to the minimal standard of the Navy-this includes the duck walk; all of this is done in underwear and a small hospital type gown. You'll have to have your girl bits checked out to make sure you're a girl like you say, and that you don't have any...other problems. You'll also have to account for your physical health all the way back to birth, any major scarring needs to be explained, and history of major illness/ailments/surgeries etc. If you have tattoos they'll want to know what they are and where. Basically they check from head to toe, every nook and cranny. It's a long day and it will give you the first real look at 'hurry up and wait' and being treated like a boot.

After you're approved you stand in a bunch of lines, sign a bunch of papers, go where they tell you to and eventually you choose a rate. You may go in wanting one specific rate, but it's not always offered to you right away. If you want to hold out and stay in DEP longer and you can get your rate you want then go for it, but don't pick a rate because the Navy has romanticized it on a sheet of paper.

Huh... well sounds like that'll be a short visit/day for me then (well as far as paperwork goes). No history & only one (very very faded) tattoo.

Thanks! I'm gearing for MA still, but if it isn't offered or have an opening that can get me into boot camp by January (or end of) then I may see about one of my back-up rates. If I had to wait till Feb 2013 it'd be cool. I just want to get in! A lot of the recruits at the last DEP meeting have been waiting for upwards of 6 months or don't ship out till March 2013... Hopefully I don't have to wait that long. :noway:
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    There's no such thing as a short day at MEPs, I didn't have any problems either and everything went smoothly, just remember ther are a lot of people going through the same process so no matter what, it's going to take a minute.

I went in not really sure of what I wanted, other than I knew I didn't want cook or an admin job. I told them I wanted whatever got me to boot camp first. So, I spent about a week in DEP, and it was three weeks almost exactly from the time I first stepped foot into the recruiter's office, to when I stepped off the bus at Great Lakes.
  • Tempe729
    Options
    I don't mind how long it takes really--I'm used to waiting around (I am just eager to get in haha!). Just wondered what's involved during MEPS :smile:

It's been a year since I first talked to my recruiter, hopefully, come the 20th of this month, I'll have a better idea of where I'll be in terms of getting into the Navy & start my MEPs processing :drinker:
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Well good luck, hopefully it all works out.
  • chrisxxii
    Options
    Had to go to meps today and do an inspect. I had to weigh in and I was at a 25% BMI which is the max allowed. but on a better note They said that I had lost 22 lbs since my first visit and am only 3 lbs away from my max weight
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Had to go to meps today and do an inspect. I had to weigh in and I was at a 25% BMI which is the max allowed. but on a better note They said that I had lost 22 lbs since my first visit and am only 3 lbs away from my max weight

congrats, keep at it.