OFFICIAL THREAD: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Discussion

Options
A discussion area for lovers of the "Arte Suave"... whether its for self-defense or sport. I realize there may not be many of us here, but I figured it would be nice to sound-off and see who is also using myfitnesspal as part of thier bjj lifestyle. Anyone?

Replies

• rstoliker
    Options
    using MFP in addition to my BJJ training has helped me significantly in achieving my goals. just losing the 50lbs so far, my ground game has gotten MUCH easier for me to keep up. For example, we are currently working on spider guard. When I was heavier, it was MUCH more difficult to be able to spin out or to maintain a fluid motion. so, I dig it!
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thats awesome, keep it up! spider guard, huh? so that means you must train with gi... so do i. i recently began using more open guard positions than I ever had before and so far, its working out better for me.
  • rstoliker
    Options
    We go both Gi and NoGi. I have an easier time in general going NoGi, but I have a LOT more fun using the Gi. Lately, in randori, I'm trying to implement more use in half guard and butterfly guard. I'm still trying to get use to my "new frame". Since I've bumped out of my weight class....I'm no longer going with the 6' 220lbers, I'm more in my size range, and can flow a LOT better. Unfortunately, this weekend, my club is going to NJ for a holiday party/clinic with our BJJ advisor, Professor Juaco. Sad that I'm going to miss it....but hey, cant be everywhere all the time, right?
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    there is a bjj group on mfp, i've joined, you might be able to find more people there.
  • michaelocampo
    Options
    yeah. i was like the second person to join that group, but it never got to even 10 members deep and more than one post. so i figured i would try to hit a larger audience. maybe the community of bjj players is just that small on mfp
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Well even compared to other groups on MFP this one is not that large, so it kind of makes sense that the subset of a subset would be smaller. As for myself, we practice mainly a blend of traditional jujitsu, BJJ, submission wrestling, and Sambo. I occasionally train at an affiliate school that does straight BJJ for both gi and no-gi.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've been taking muay thai and bjj for a couple months now.....bjj is by far my favorite.
  • rstoliker
    Options
    yeah. i was like the second person to join that group, but it never got to even 10 members deep and more than one post. so i figured i would try to hit a larger audience. maybe the community of bjj players is just that small on mfp

I was in that group too...there was no movement in there either, so I left it.
  • bship15_wechanged
    bship15_wechanged Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did BJJ for a bit last year and I am starting my training again next week or two.
  • rstoliker
    Options
    congrats on starting again!
  • michaelocampo
    Options
    Well even compared to other groups on MFP this one is not that large, so it kind of makes sense that the subset of a subset would be smaller. As for myself, we practice mainly a blend of traditional jujitsu, BJJ, submission wrestling, and Sambo. I occasionally train at an affiliate school that does straight BJJ for both gi and no-gi.

Similar situation. I was teaching traditional jujitsu and judo exclusively... but started bjj again to supplement. now i have devoted most of my training time to it. i want my bjj skills to be on par with my skills in those other two, so it has been my main focus. im getting up there in age and have been more injury-prone in judo (because of the explosiveness sometimes utilized and falls taken) that i think bjj will take me into my elder years.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    BJJ was the first thing I started doing when I decided i wanted to get back in shape in May of last year. As the weight came off I started adding more and more activities. I have not adjusted to my new size yet. I still usually roll with the heavy's and super heavy's but have started getting in my time with guys my size. They feel tiny.

Lately I haven't been able to be nearly as active as I'd like (with anything really) because I'm trying to heal up a shoulder. Sitting out is driving me crazy.
  • rstoliker
    Options
    maxonehiphop,
    have you found it difficult losing the weight? Meaning, when you roll with the heavier people, feeling more overpowered relying on the strength from your old weight, and moving faster than you realize? I've seem to have traded strength for speed. I'm DEFINITELY on par with my current weight class, however, with the heaviers, I just get caught up now.
  • maxonehiphop
    Options
    maxonehiphop,
    have you found it difficult losing the weight? Meaning, when you roll with the heavier people, feeling more overpowered relying on the strength from your old weight, and moving faster than you realize? I've seem to have traded strength for speed. I'm DEFINITELY on par with my current weight class, however, with the heaviers, I just get caught up now.

I notice mostly when I'm on top. I don't have the ability to use my weight ....at least not like before. I think it's forcing me to use better technique in maintaining the mount while i work for a sub or try not get swept when i'm working to pass the guard.

I was the heaviest guy there when I started. It's been strange..but kind of neat. The shrinking.

I know I'm weaker....especially because I haven't been able to lift nearly as much as I want and hardly at all since I hurt my shoulder but I haven't felt a noticeable disadvantage with the big guys. I'm told I have the "old man strength" thing going. I still really prefer the hefty guy pace but don't not mind being stuck under a guy my size. Shrimping and going for sweeps is waaaaaaaaaaaaay easier under a smaller guy. Big guys really take your wind once they get the mount. I tend to try to focus on working from top position when I roll with the bigger guys and then work from the bottom with guys my size just so I can get better from the bottom because I don't feel like I'm going to die while I'm working to improve position.

I still feel like I belong with the heavy folks but i'm a adjusting slowly. I hope I can get this shoulder healed up because i'm so anxious to go back but each time I've tried I realize I shouldn't be there a few minutes into class.

Keep in mind I'm a white belt and haven't really competed for real. I'm somewhat older, no medical, 5 kids....can't afford to get seriously hurt. I always assume it's more likely at a tournament where people are trying to get subs for stripes and what not. I'm real passive and have no problem tapping or turning down the effort to avoid hurting or getting hurt.

I've done one small tournament at 185 with a bum shoulder. won my matches by points, no subs :(.

I have 4 kids in it w/me. It's been great for us a family. dude...i'm in like crazy ramble mode right now. Still at work 14 hours later....maybe it's time get up out of this Bee itch. (it's what happens when you get stung...after the sting fades it itches a little. can't explain why i'm in one though)
  • rstoliker
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense. Our club rolls with anywhere from 6-20 (depending on the day). I can breeze through the smaller/younger members without a lot of trouble and a TON of give and take. I seem to get flatted out with the 220lbers and up. Maybe I just need to work on my hip outs/bridges more
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    so official
  • maxonehiphop
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense. Our club rolls with anywhere from 6-20 (depending on the day). I can breeze through the smaller/younger members without a lot of trouble and a TON of give and take. I seem to get flatted out with the 220lbers and up. Maybe I just need to work on my hip outs/bridges more

I feel you. I can relate. my strength is getting the top position which is probably why i'm not feeling too much trouble with the bigger guys. When we do drills (thirsty thursday for example) we work from all the positions and I have to deal with the weight on top.

I hate having 250 lb guys on top but when we roll live I don't usually end up on bottom....I have trouble pulling the trigger on subs so it's a lot of lay and pray (fighting for and maintaining dominant positions.

I have noticed improved speed and my gas tank has improved but I still get winded pretty easy in my opinion. I really need to work on that.

I still haven't been able to go back though so when/if I do I will probably get spanked by everybody. my shoulder is being a punk.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    been training since oct 2010, blue belt since june this year. Not training as much as i would like as we have a baby and all evening classes clash with his bedtime routine, so getting 1-2 sessions a week tops.
    Been doing a bit of judo to supplement though, which is fun.
  • rstoliker
    Options
    how are you liking the judo aspect? our club is more a 65/35 jiu jitsu judo ratio
  • nostripewhite
    nostripewhite Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I trained for 5 years straight, 4-5 times a week. Then I stopped due to injury and that was 4 years ago. I'm dipping my toe back in the pond once or twice a month, but have yet to jump right back into it.