Compression Garmets after Surgery

Options
katt0628
katt0628 Posts: 58 Member
I am scheduled for gastric bypass on October 8, 2012 and have been reading a lot about life after surgery. Does anyone who has had surgery wear shape wear/compression garmets? I've read that some like them and others don't. Just wondering if anyone uses or has any experience with these.

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've look at them at stores but honestly they don't look like they would be very comfy. I guess at my age, 48, I am about comfort. I stil need to loose 40-50 more pounds and maybe once I am done loosing I might be more apt to buy one and wear one. I guess the best thing to do is go try one on and see if you like it. They sell them about anywhere anymore Kmart even has them!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    At almost 6 months out now, Spanx is my friend :laugh: Helps me contain some of the "jiggly bits" while my poor body is trying to readjust itself! I find them pretty comfy really. I dont wear them all the time, just depends on what I am wearing at the time. Some stores sell Spanx-like garments that are just as good. My arms are really taking a beating right now (plastic surgery here I come) and I had got to the point where I couldnt even really wear short sleeved t-shirt anymore. I bought a few of those Ch'arms undergarments and now I am back in my short sleeved shirts again :happy:
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    no but I'm almost to the point where I'm going to look into something to flatten my tummy. When I'm laying down it's pretty flat and I have hip bones now but when I stand the skin and fat I have left to lose just acts like jello. I'm sure things will tighten up but I bet I could drop a pants size with some compression garments.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with my Spanx (I love the way I look but sometimes hate the way I feel in them). But, I would NEVER give them up. It's all about vanity with me. Don't want everything jiggling when I run up the stairs at the office.
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    First of all, Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

Secondly, what a GREAT idea to wear a support garment. I never even thought of that and wish I had 14 yrs ago when I had my Roux-en-Y at 380. I think it would have helped the jigglies a bit since I was 41 at the time and my skin was already losing it's elasticity even before the big 202 lb weight loss. We won't talk about how it is now at 55:)

I was happy to be introduced to them when I had my PS.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Before plastics, I wore them alot to hold everything in place. I usually just got them from Wal Mart.
  • MISSCOOPER9
    Options
    Hi Katt, how did your surgery go, I had mine RY on 10/15/12. As far as compression garments, I've been wearing "girdles" as long as i can remember. I'm wearing one now after surgery for better support. the one I wear is from right below breast to below knees, so there is not cutting, it's comfortable.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I just had surgery last week, but love my compression socks! My surgeon recommended wearing them for 6 weeks post surgery to help reduce the risk of blood clots. I bought a second pair, which are so comfortable that I will continue to wear them even after the 6 weeks are up. In other news, I have heard that slimpressions makes very comfortable and supportive shape wear specifically some that address the "bat wing" look after surgery. They are tops that can be worn under garnets that compress the flabby arms. I plan on buying some asap!
  • MISSCOOPER9
    Options
    This company has a wide variety of garments.

http://www.rago-shapewear.com/catalog/home.php?cat=273